C Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th, BUF) II

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He looks nothing like Tarasenko to me.
I don't really see either. Tavares uses a combo of elite hands and strength on the puck to drive the center of the ice. Tarasenko is ridiculously strong and is able to hold guys off to get off his world class shot.

I'm not sure who Mittelstadt plays like. It is very hard to compare a kid when most of his game footage comes from a league where he is capable of taking on players 1 on 4 and still getting a high-quality scoring chance.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I think he's the biggest boom or bust in this draft and I think there's a solid chance he busts.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I think he's the biggest boom or bust in this draft and I think there's a solid chance he busts.

What's the biggest concern? I'm genuinely curious why most people think he's one of the more likely busts in this draft.

Is it his fitness?

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Does Casey get an invite to the US Olympic team? If he has a strong start with the Gophers , I would think he does.

Do you mean assuming the NHL absolutely isn't going? Probably.
If the NHLers go, there isn't a chance in hell.

sah braise

Dec 24, 2014
His play style looks pretty close to what patrick kanes is. Very quick and agile on their skates with gifted hands. Great release and accuracy on shot and sees the ice extremely well

Upper body strength will come in time. His legs and strength on his skates are one of the things he's touted for and are what've helped him reach this point. It won't be a problem for this type of talent

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Hope he's a home run pick for Buffalo!

Just needs to hit the weight room, and focus on his strength and conditioning. I wasn't overly happy with this pick. But I hope he proves myself and many others wrong!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Personally, I think it's idiotic that some fo these kids leave home as young as 13 to play hockey. If this kid wanted to take an extra year to be at home with his friends and family, then good for him. He obviously has the baseline skill to be an NHLer. Now it's just up to him.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I don't really see either. Tavares uses a combo of elite hands and strength on the puck to drive the center of the ice. Tarasenko is ridiculously strong and is able to hold guys off to get off his world class shot.

I'm not sure who Mittelstadt plays like. It is very hard to compare a kid when most of his game footage comes from a league where he is capable of taking on players 1 on 4 and still getting a high-quality scoring chance.
For me those comparisons come because he controls the puck while not overly playing a speedy game. I think Mittelstadt will get stronger to play like them.

The other thing for me is that hes not a goal scorer or a playmaker... Hes both and that bait and lure game makes him hard to defend.

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
Very interested in how his game continues to develop in college. Possible Hobey Baker?

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Mittlestadt reminds me a lot of Nicklas Backstrom - a quicker version who likes to shoot. But his vision and smooth passing is elite at his level. If he could put it all together in the NHL, watch out, he could be the best offensive player in the entire draft IMO.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
What's the biggest concern? I'm genuinely curious why most people think he's one of the more likely busts in this draft.

Is it his fitness?

I think he's fitter than people think, AND that is something (if it is a problem) that will be fixed with the Gophers. There is no obvious shortcoming to his game, so i'd say the only thing that MIGHT be a problem is the intangibles...i.e. desire, hustle, work ethic. Not saying they are a problem now, but he hasn't been tested as much as some in tougher leagues. Things have been very comfortable for him where he is. Is he a guy who will stay hungry?

His skills, skating, athletic ability, IQ, and size are fine.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
For me those comparisons come because he controls the puck while not overly playing a speedy game. I think Mittelstadt will get stronger to play like them.

The other thing for me is that hes not a goal scorer or a playmaker... Hes both and that bait and lure game makes him hard to defend.

That's why I mention Kane, Beliveau, and, believe it or not, Harvey. Not that I expect CM to be anything like those HOF'ers in accomplishment, but all three specialized in dictating the pace of the game. CM has some of that ability.

It remains to be seen how he reacts when someone like an Orpik steps into him in heavy traffic and lays him out. MNHS has some hitting, but nothing like he will face in the NCAA, let alone the AHL, let alone the NHL. I don't know if he has that 6th sense that great players usually have when it comes to avoiding hits.

SCampo98

Dec 24, 2015
Sherbrooke, QC
Casey Mittelstadt = Steve Bernier?

I was re-watching some of the picks this year and noticed that the commentators were pretty harsh on Mittelstadt for his poor conditioning. They were saying he didn't care too much about conditioning and just wanted to play.

Does anybody else see a connection to Steve Bernier? He was a first rounder who was lauded for his poor conditioning. I re-watched his draft video and the Bob McKenzie said that everyone who went and watched Bernier at the combine left "appalled". Is Mittelstadt in a similar position to what Steve Bernier was in when he was drafted?

I guess conditioning could go either way. You could be like Bernier or Setoguchi, who hated conditioning and paid for it, or you could be like the Brazilian Ronaldo, who despised conditioning but was still a top notch player in his later career despite being mildly fat.

JA

I was re-watching some of the picks this year and noticed that the commentators were pretty harsh on Mittelstadt for his poor conditioning. They were saying he didn't care too much about conditioning and just wanted to play.

Does anybody else see a connection to Steve Bernier? He was a first rounder who was lauded for his poor conditioning. I re-watched his draft video and the Bob McKenzie said that everyone who went and watched Bernier at the combine left "appalled". Is Mittelstadt in a similar position to what Steve Bernier was in when he was drafted?

I guess conditioning could go either way. You could be like Bernier or Setoguchi, who hated conditioning and paid for it, or you could be like the Brazilian Ronaldo, who despised conditioning but was still a top notch player in his later career despite being mildly fat.
I'm not sure if Steve was lauded for his poor conditioning. :D

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/laud
2 laud
verb
Definition of laud

transitive verb

: praise, extol - He was lauded for his accomplishments.

Examples of laud in a Sentence

He was much lauded as a successful businessman.

the critics have lauded the best-selling author's newest novel

He also isn't the only person to have ever struggled to find success in the NHL as a result of poor conditioning.

One risk associated with Casey Mittelstadt is his perceived lack of commitment to fitness. There is the possibility that he can correct this issue, but it is is a fair concern.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
It should be noted Phil Kessel many times was criticized for his poor conditioning as well, you could also make that comparison

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
It should be noted Phil Kessel many times was criticized for his poor conditioning as well, you could also make that comparison

Was that in his draft year or while he was already in the NHL? I know Phil got ragged on all the time in Toronto. I can't remember what he was like as a prospect though.

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
Was that in his draft year or while he was already in the NHL? I know Phil got ragged on all the time in Toronto. I can't remember what he was like as a prospect though.
Both. I can't remember if it was public knowledge, but in Future Greats and Heartbreaks, Gare Joyce talks about how awful Kessel's combine was (both interview and fitness testing). So the scouts definitely knew.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Both. I can't remember if it was public knowledge, but in Future Greats and Heartbreaks, Gare Joyce talks about how awful Kessel's combine was (both interview and fitness testing). So the scouts definitely knew.

Part of the book can be found quoted here: http://ndgoon.blogspot.com/2006/07/espn-kessels-draft-combine-wasnt.html

There hasn't been any of the party-boy or bad teammate talk about Casey. Or any issues with teammates or people skills. His anaerobic fatigue index was pretty good, but that being a measure of loss of output overtime may not be all that since he wasn't in the top 25 for peak power output nor the 25 for mean power output. It'll be interesting to see how Dietz works on him at UM regarding all of this. It doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility that a rink rat with thick legs could have some interesting improvements.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad