C Brad Lambert - Pelicans Lahti, Liiga (2022 Draft) part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
Would you be disappointed if Lambert became a Kasperi Kapanen level and style player?
Why would anyone get disappointed with that? I think we all basically realizie he's an Artu Raty draft pick. It may work out or it may not.

I personally think that a team that picks after 20 has a lot of decisions to make. We have a long list of good players.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Why would anyone get disappointed with that? I think we all basically realizie he's an Artu Raty draft pick. It may work out or it may not.

I personally think that a team that picks after 20 has a lot of decisions to make. We have a long list of good players.
He's not going to be available at 20.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
He's not going to be available at 20.
I've looked at a few teams boards and they disagree. Not that they are important but data is data. They hope Lambert is the diamond in the rough, which makes sense.

lafellaesobar

Jun 10, 2022
I keep thinking he'll be an islander, and the more i think about it, the more it makes perfect sense that he could be an islander. He's quick, his shot could be lethal, and he could play RW with barzal.

If he's a raty pick, then you realize that's great for whoever picks him up right?

Reactions: bsu

lafellaesobar

Jun 10, 2022
I just saw this tweet. This could certainly be interesting.

Oh yeah he's gonna definitely be taken a bit higher. Being in canada/USA is so much better than Finland for ones rights, and for a dude like Lambert who thrives on this type of play, it could help so much. an 100 point season in Saskatoon could do so much for him.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Would you be disappointed if Lambert became a Kasperi Kapanen level and style player?

I honestly don't know how I would feel. Lambert has high potential so if he panned out as a 30-40 point winger, it would be letdown. However, at the same time I am not convinced if he will ever become an NHL player so becoming something is better than becoming nothing. I would be happy and disappointed at the same time.

Reactions: Ippenator and Esko6

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
People like comparing Lambert and Räty (for obvious reasons), but I don't think they're actually all that similar.

Aatu Räty is still a good two-way player and even if he isn't scoring points, he is still a useful player to have in lineup.
Brad Lambert is a puck hogging, low hockey IQ, low team play, selfish, physically weak player, who at Liiga level is usually either useless or detriment to his team.

It's a funny thing that Lambert was actually rumoured to come to Jukurit this past season, but at the "last second" deal was apparently cancelled.
Instead Jukurit got Räty who is a much much better player than Lambert.

This is just my speculation, but Ross Lambert probably asked Olli Jokinen if Brad was gonna get guaranteed minutes at Jukurit and Jokinen just replied "lol no".

lafellaesobar

Jun 10, 2022
People like comparing Lambert and Räty (for obvious reasons), but I don't think they're actually all that similar.

Aatu Räty is still a good two-way player and even if he isn't scoring points, he is still a useful player to have in lineup.
Brad Lambert is a puck hogging, low hockey IQ, low team play, selfish, physically weak player, who at Liiga level is usually either useless or detriment to his team.

It's a funny thing that Lambert was actually rumoured to come to Jukurit this past season, but at the "last second" deal was apparently cancelled.
Instead Jukurit got Räty who is a much much better player than Lambert.

This is just my speculation, but Ross Lambert probably asked Olli Jokinen if Brad was gonna get guaranteed minutes at Jukurit and Jokinen just replied "lol no".
Also Lambert does look like a faster skater, while Raty kinda isn't the best skater in the world. If theres any team that could benefit from the quickness and selfishness of Lambert, it is a team like the islanders who practically need any offense at all. If he does want to be an NHL player, he probably would fit better on the wing than center. How's his FO% anyways?

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Also Lambert does look like a faster skater, while Raty kinda isn't the best skater in the world. If theres any team that could benefit from the quickness and selfishness of Lambert, it is a team like the islanders who practically need any offense at all. If he does want to be an NHL player, he probably would fit better on the wing than center. How's his FO% anyways?
If you compare those two guys skating in their draft years, Räty looks like a snail in comparison to Lambert.
Or Lambert looks like the Roadrunner compared to Räty. Or possibly both.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I wonder what kind of season he would have put up in the CHL. Kid has always been dominate against his peers (and even guys in older age groups). His game is really not well suited to playing in Liga, and he still doesn't have his man strength.

Had he come over and played for Saskatoon I think people would be talking about him like a potential 1st overall pick. He and Crnkovic would have lit the league up.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Lambert is a really interesting prospect. Has the physical tools and talent but has zero hockey IQ. He's kind of like a Jonathan Drouin type of player. He can help you and hurt you. Will be interesting to see where he goes in the draft. He could fall.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think Lambert would have scored more than 100 pts in the CHL this year, maybe 120, and he probably would have gone 1st overall in the draft.

So maybe Habs fans should be thankful that he didn't come over, because playing in the CHL would have covered up the real deficits in his game (vision, processing) that have been exposed in Liiga play.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy and bsu

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I think Lambert would have scored more than 100 pts in the CHL this year, maybe 120, and he probably would have gone 1st overall in the draft.

So maybe Habs fans should be thankful that he didn't come over, because playing in the CHL would have covered up the real deficits in his game (vision, processing) that have been exposed in Liiga play.
Yep I agree. We'll never know now though. He'd destroy juniors imo.

lafellaesobar

Jun 10, 2022
I think that’s honestly much closer to his ceiling than his floor.
if his ceiling is Kapanen with a better set of passing skills, then thats great. I think Kapanen is at least a tool away from a being a solid 50-60 point scorer in the NHL

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo

I think he has unfortunately way too low hockey IQ for that to be possible. Or then I have completely overestimated the level that is played in CHL leagues. I would say that something between 50-70 points could maybe be possible, and even that would be pretty much because of his great skating. He is really
otherwise a very disappointing player. Well ok, pretty good hands too, but I think that even they are a bit overestimated by many who have estimated his talent.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
if his ceiling is Kapanen with a better set of passing skills, then thats great. I think Kapanen is at least a tool away from a being a solid 50-60 point scorer in the NHL
In my opinion Kapanen was in fact a bit better passer at the same age. I find it quite hard to see that Lambert would at least become a better passer. And no, I’m not claiming that Kapanen is a good passer either.

Last edited:

lafellaesobar

Jun 10, 2022
In my opinion Kapanen was in fact a better passer at the same age. I find it quite hard to see that Lambert would at least become a better passer. And no, I’m not claiming that Kapanen is a good passer either.
well I keep thinking Kapanen is solid as a division rival to the pens. I can also see Barzal in Lamberts game but if he doesn't improve that hockey IQ, he'll end up more like Kapanen lite. Lamberts speed also has me fearing he ends up like Anthiniseiu. It's why lambert can go anywhere from like 9th overall to 22nd.

Reactions: Ippenator

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think he has unfortunately way too low hockey IQ for that to be possible. Or then I have completely overestimated the level that is played in CHL leagues. I would say that something between 50-70 points could maybe be possible, and even that would be pretty much because of his great skating. He is really
otherwise a very disappointing player. Well ok, pretty good hands too, but I think that even they are a bit overestimated by many who have estimated his talent.

Raw skating and skill can get a kid 100+ pts in the CHL, no vision necessary. For example, Yakupov did it in his D-1.

Reactions: Ippenator

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I could definitely see him much likelier as a winger in the NHL than as a center. I could exactly see him like a Kapanen type of a winger. Lambert wasn’t good at all in Liiga with his face-offs. Last season his FO% was 41,3% while a year older Räty had 51,1%, which is in fact quite impressive for such a young player in Liiga.

Raw skating and skill can get a kid 100+ pts in the CHL, no vision necessary. For example, Yakupov did it in his D-1.
You might be right after all.

Reactions: lafellaesobar

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

But one would also have to wonder what would have it done to him/to his game if he had been playing the entire season big minutes with full of confidence.

How much more of a better bet would have he been on becoming an nhl player.

As we said before it’s a good thing he’s not under controll and the drafting team will have the say on where he’s playing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad