C Auston Matthews - USNTDP, USHL (2016 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Adam Kimelman @NHLAdamK · 3h
15 seconds left, US down a goal, and Auston Matthews is taking the offensive zone draw. That tells you just what USA Hockey thinks of him

Adam Kimelman @NHLAdamK · 2h
Auston Matthews, 16, will be w/USA team after cutdowns. Osiecki: "We're going to look forward to watching him here the rest of this week."

Very impressive for the youngest player at camp by far.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Is he expected to be a center or winger in the future?

He can definitely play both but I don't see any reason that he shouldn't project as a center long-term. He has the size, skating, hockey IQ, playmaking, and two-way play.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
he is certainly opening some eyes with his play. I know some people were down on this kid even getting an invite over others like White, Bracco, Greenway, etc... but it looks like USA Hockey knows what they have here and like I said before, they feel he is the closest thing to Eichel that they have in the system in the 16-19 age group.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
"We're seeing a wonderful hockey player," said Jim Johansson, assistant executive director of hockey operations for USA Hockey and the general manager of the United States for the 2015 World Junior Championship. "Sturdiness, skating ability, compete level all have been excellent. I think the interesting part for us is it's a lot of hockey in a short time and yet to me it looks like he's, if not getting stronger, he's right on par with what the start of this camp was. Guys get worn down in this camp and that's part of it. I think what you're seeing is a very talented hockey player."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=727866

TJinAZ

Aug 27, 2004
And he is homegrown from AZ

product of midget program in scottsdale. But hockey doesn't belong here... hope he goes top 5 and rubs it in the traditionalists faces.

Last edited:

bigbadbruins7

Dec 18, 2011
CT
Has there been any indication of him going NCAA or CHL (WHL I believe)? Since he is 2016 draft eligible he wont be able to play for NTDP going into his draft (I believe).

arsmaster*

Has there been any indication of him going NCAA or CHL (WHL I believe)? Since he is 2016 draft eligible he wont be able to play for NTDP going into his draft (I believe).

How amazing would it be for WHL followers to watch Matthews and Jost play together during their draft years?

That said, neither likely report.:(

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

Correct. He'd have to accelerate, like Eichel, to play in the NCAA after his U18 season. If he doesn't do that he should be a lock for the WHL. This is from the article I posted above:

After his strong turn here, Matthews will return to Ann Arbor for full season with the USNTDP U-18 team, and then a future that could include college hockey or the Western Hockey League, with the Everett Silvertips owning his rights. Matthews said he's started looking at colleges and has spoken with Everett general manager Gary Davidson, but said he's not ready to make any decisions beyond this season.

"I'm just taking my time right now," he said. "Just focus on the season and what comes after that I don't really know yet. I'm just taking my time."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=727866

mpir3

Apr 7, 2010
I'd say he goes WHL also, seems most of the other highly touted AZ kids go that route. These guys haven't grown up with the college traditions like the Northeast/New England and Minnesota.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Just a gut feeling, but I think Matthews goes to the WHL.

ditto.

I just see him heading there as he would really be a force in the Dub.

Plus it is a bit odd that he hasn't even had a verbal commit yet as most of the top end kids usually do at this point just to cover their butts even if they seriously consider going to the CHL.

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005
ditto.

I just see him heading there as he would really be a force in the Dub.

Plus it is a bit odd that he hasn't even had a verbal commit yet as most of the top end kids usually do at this point just to cover their butts even if they seriously consider going to the CHL.

Agree. I think the WHL is getting a serious look by him.

I do think it is refreshing having a player not make a decision because he truly is undecided.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I think him and Jost are quite easily the best forwards from NA for 2016 the others have not quite distinguished themselves as much.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Definitely top-10, maybe even top-5. He was more impressive than top-prospects like Barzal and Konecny at the U18.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Hockey prospect Auston Matthews burning up the ice in desert

The red and white Coyotes sweaters camouflaged their actual rank with NHLers skating alongside high school kids and college athletes last week at the Ice Den in Scottsdale as a tune-up for training camp, but it was still pretty easy to separate the pros from the amateurs.

Whether it was a pass that became tangled in skates or a shot that targeted the goalie's belly, the clues for the up-and-comers were obvious.

Except when it came to Auston Matthews.

Although the cage and USA Hockey sticker on his helmet confirmed he was still a teenager — 16, to be exact — his play suggested he was much older.

Maybe it was the authority with which he carried the puck, no doubt reinforced by his 6-foot frame. Or the quickness with which he moved. Or the shot that had a tendency to settle right under the crossbar.

This package of skills hasn't gone unnoticed, and it wouldn't be unrealistic for Matthews to don an authentic NHL jersey in the future.

Actually, the centerman is generating buzz as the player to watch in the 2016 draft, and what's unique about that is Matthews got his start with the sport in the Valley.

"Some day I want to be that role model for kids from Arizona that you can play hockey and do well at it," he said.

Matthews grew up in Scottsdale and was a regular at Coyotes game as a toddler, taking advantage of his uncle's season tickets. When he was 5, Matthews had his turn to hit the ice and he took the familiar path from squirt to peewee, but with a twist — he was continually playing a year or two older.

azcentral.com

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
This kid is just amazing. I think by December he'll have a spot on the US WJC team and will be as highly regarded as Jack Eichel was last year.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Liking this kid more by the minute. Is he exclusively playing center now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig