C Auston Matthews - USNTDP, USHL (2016 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Auston Matthews - USNTP (uncommitted, Everett Silvertips WHL rights)
- 2016 draft eligible because he's born 9/17/97

Thought it was time he gets his own thread. He has really started to shoot up rankings for the 2016 draft. Watched him at the U17 challenge and was very impressed with his play. He has really good hands, a great shot, and a powerful, dynamic style of skating/play. Is a great offensive threat but also plays a solid defensive game as well. He missed 20 games at the beginning of the season with a lower body injury that resulted in surgery, not sure on what. Since returning, he's been one of, if not the top player on the U17 with 12g-21a-33pts in only 24gp. He actually leads the U17's in PPG ahead of White and Bracco with 1.38ppg. He's getting better and better as the season has gone on.

This past weekend, he played up with the U18 NTDP against Bowling Green and Indiana and had 1a in 3gp. I'm not sure if that is a permanent move or just a move for the past weekend.

Have heard some like him more than Kirwan for his upside and current track of development. Looking for some more input on him from others who've seen him more recently.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I can't say I have a great critical eye when it comes to kids that young, but I have like Matthews more than Kirwan too in a few viewings.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Matthews is certainly shooting up the ranks like a rocket. But I am still a sucker for Kirwan who simply dominated at the u17 last month. I guess when I see size like that (6'2 220lbs) at 16 years old, it starts to create a pool of drool by my feet.

Kirwan has the skillset to be a star player. It isn't just size with this guy, he has the hands, mental ability, vision, and wheels to be a top offensive force. He knows where to go on the ice and where he will be successful as a player. He is ridiculously hard to knock off the puck and is a hard worker something I am in love with (doesn't take things for granted).

Matthews has something special about him, just a sense of dynamic skill. He really snuck up on a lot of people and playing for the Bobcats really kind of kept him a bit unknown as I rarely if ever see them play. But there is so much to like about this kid. Especially considering he missed the first 3 months of the season to surgery, and he is probably just getting back into full game speed and is still destroying the competition says a lot about this kid.

His attitude is awesome. Just a great kid with a positive attitude that works hard every day in hopes of following a dream. The kid has pro size ability right now at 6'0 190lbs so there is no issue at all there. He has grown since the start of the year. I watched him play against Chicago a few weeks back in a crazy 9-8 game and I think he had a few assists in the game but what really caught my eye with him was that the puck was ALWAYS on his stick. He was the trendsetter. He always made things happen out there, he was just a buzz saw creating chances and shooting the puck at the right times.

I don't know what exactly the future will hold for Matthews and hopefully he stays healthy moving forward, but he was more electric on the ice then White or Bracco was and that is saying a ton (White scored a goal that game too). He is another of those highly skilled players that the USNDP is starting to churn out and couldn't come at a better time. Matthews seems to be getting ranked inside the top 10 everywhere I look, hopefully he continues to work hard and doesn't let it get to his head.

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
This kid looking really good today in the U18 finals. Hard to believe he's only draft eligible in 2016. Should easily be a top 10 pick.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
This guy is ridiculous. He has outstanding hands, vision, hockey IQ and shooting, and he is good to great in every other category, be it skating, defensive play, size, strength, etc. He's just one of those pace-setters; the puck is always around him and seems to follow his will.

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010
I saw his 3 last games in U18 tournament. I was impressed from the beginning and thinkin that he will rise a lot in the draft. Then realized he is underager, and he won't be drafted in 2015 either, wow.

Really solid tournament for him. Damn good player

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
figured we talk some more about this kid seeing he just got invited to the US WJC eval camp! A 2016 draft eligible player, he beat out all of his fellow u17 members to get an invite to this camp (kirwan, white, greenway, fischer, bracco, tkachuk, etc).

many feel that he is the closest thing skillwise the US has to Jack Eichel, and if he makes this team and beats out the tremendous competition at forward the US has, he would have to get thrown into that top 3-5 conversation for the 2016 draft if he isn't already.

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012

You must mean Kirwin by saying 220 lbs... Matthews is nowhere near 220. He is hovering around 195. Which is still a great weight but don't exaggerate the facts. Hanifin should have been the only underager invited at this point to Lake Placid - USA Politics came into play on this decision with Matthews. Matthews is not ahead of where Eichal was last summer nor is he physically stronger than Hanifin or Eichal at this point. He should have had to play his way onto the team this coming fall just like every other underager has had to in the past.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
You must mean Kirwin by saying 220 lbs... Matthews is nowhere near 220. He is hovering around 195. Which is still a great weight but don't exaggerate the facts. Hanifin should have been the only underager invited at this point to Lake Placid - USA Politics came into play on this decision with Matthews. Matthews is not ahead of where Eichal was last summer nor is he physically stronger than Hanifin or Eichal at this point. He should have had to play his way onto the team this coming fall just like every other underager has had to in the past.

he quoted my post about Kirwan at 6'2 220lbs

Too2train

Nov 28, 2011
After watching Team Whites two games at the eval camp, I can certainly say that I am very impressed with what high-end talent the USNDTP is producing.

Matthews was arguably one of thee best players on both sides of the ice today vs. Sweden. I can only echo what has been said about him in this thread; dynamic style of skating for a guy his size when he has the puck. Can protect it well at that. He can also thread the needle fairly well, couple times I had to say "how did he even get that pass off"? Also Anticipates the play really well, seemed to always be in the right place at the right time at both ends of the rink. Didn't get to see much of his shot though. Solid on his skates as well, sweden had a tough time defending him.

I will add sometimes when he didn't have the puck he looked a bit sluggish, maybe tired, maybe just a slow couple first strides. He could also use some work on his faceoffs but he's got until 2016 to improve. cos come draft time, I could really see this guy challenge Benson & Day, especially with his attitude that has been mentioned.

Of course this is just what I have noticed through 2 days, so take it with a grain of salt. Really excited about what the US has got going down there though with this surge of young elite talents. & This coming from a Canadian die hard. Colour me jealous.

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005
After watching Team Whites two games at the eval camp, I can certainly say that I am very impressed with what high-end talent the USNDTP is producing.

Matthews was arguably one of thee best players on both sides of the ice today vs. Sweden. I can only echo what has been said about him in this thread; dynamic style of skating for a guy his size when he has the puck. Can protect it well at that. He can also thread the needle fairly well, couple times I had to say "how did he even get that pass off"? Also Anticipates the play really well, seemed to always be in the right place at the right time at both ends of the rink. Didn't get to see much of his shot though. Solid on his skates as well, sweden had a tough time defending him.

I will add sometimes when he didn't have the puck he looked a bit sluggish, maybe tired, maybe just a slow couple first strides. He could also use some work on his faceoffs but he's got until 2016 to improve. cos come draft time, I could really see this guy challenge Benson & Day, especially with his attitude that has been mentioned.

Of course this is just what I have noticed through 2 days, so take it with a grain of salt. Really excited about what the US has got going down there though with this surge of young elite talents. & This coming from a Canadian die hard. Colour me jealous.

Thanks for the write up. Sounds like he improves with every game/practice/experience. I'm sure his conditioning right now (along with others there) has a lot to do with summer and a big part of off season training is geared toward strength and speed.
To be totally honest, I do not think Benson is in top 10 consideration in two years.

hockey38

Jun 16, 2014

Must have had a better second game because I did not think he stood out in the first.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I thought Matthews looked very good against the Swedes today.

I had concerns about his skating when I watched him at the U17 WHC but it's clear that his early season injury must have played a part in that because he looked explosive today. It's also clear that his hockey sense is high end as he's consistently in the right place at the right time.

I continue to be very impressed with his play along the boards. He does a great job of controlling the puck with his back to the defender and then beating them with a quick turn out into open ice. It's very easy to see his style of play translating to the pro game.

I wasn't sure he was ready for this opportunity at the U20 camp but if he plays like he did today he could find a spot on the team come December.

Too2train

Nov 28, 2011
In the first game I do agree that he wasn't near as impressive as yesterday. I did see some flashes on what his overall game could bring to the table ie; strong board play, good reads offensively & defensively, strong puck carrier & disher (again he didnt exactly have the opportunity to put his shot on display). I think being promoted gradually as the 2nd game vs. sweden, went on, he gained more confidence and was ultimately promoted and excelled, minus faceoffs on what I would call USA whites first line (Connor-Matthews-Compher).

I came to watch some of Buffalos prospects; Compher, Hurley, Fasching and was left with the biggest impression by Matthews. Again, only two games in @ a eval camp in august & maybe is just a bit of prospect gush but he certainly was assertive in making a name for himself for the final camp and possibly the final roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad