C Auston Matthews (2016, 1st, TOR) VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Oh wow, I was expecting him to have lost a bit of weight with how fast he looks compared to the WHC. That's promising if true, just needs to develop a bit of a mean streak like we saw against Polak now.
I don't think he needs to add a mean streak. He already plays with intensity, he just doesn't take many penalties. Kopitar is the same way. He'll never be Getzlaf constantly laying big hits and engaging in stick work.

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
It's also very possible Matthews tops out as a decent 2nd line centre.

That's very unlikely. Matthews is an elite talent, as a prospect he is at the same level as McDavid, don't kid yourself. There is of course a reluctance on many to even think that Matthews could of that level simply because of where he comes from and the only reason he is getting hyped is because he's a Maple Leaf. BTW I'm not a Leaf fan.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It's also very possible Matthews tops out as a decent 2nd line centre.

I'd be really surprised. I expect him to produce at a level of a decent 2nd line center for one season at most.

To be honest, I would be surprised if he doesn't end up being the 1C for Leafs by December. Babcock can try to make him the 3C all he wants but if the opponents match their best against him because he's the largest threat on the team, you just have to respect that.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I'd be really surprised. I expect him to produce at a level of a decent 2nd line center for one season at most.

To be honest, I would be surprised if he doesn't end up being the 1C for Leafs by December. Babcock can try to make him the 3C all he wants but if the opponents match their best against him because he's the largest threat on the team, you just have to respect that.

December?

He's already better than all their other centres put together and he hasn't even skated an NHL shift yet.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
That's very unlikely. Matthews is an elite talent, as a prospect he is at the same level as McDavid, don't kid yourself. There is of course a reluctance on many to even think that Matthews could of that level simply because of where he comes from and the only reason he is getting hyped is because he's a Maple Leaf. BTW I'm not a Leaf fan.
Just like Eichel...

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
As a leaf fan I'm not complaining, but it would've been pretty cool if he was a few days older and made the draft. Him leading the Arizona rebuild while simultaneously introducing the game to a bunch of people in Arizona would've been cool.

I don't say this to be offensive, but it would've been a fascinating story had Matthews gone to Winnipeg. Winnipeg loses its team to Phoenix, then the Coyotes helped inspire Arizona-raised Matthews to play hockey, and then ends up playing for a reincarnate team in Winnipeg.

In other words, Matthews the hockey player would never have existed if Winnipeg didn't "sacrifice" their team in the first place. The fruits of that loss is then resurrected back to Winnipeg. It sounds religious, in a way.

Nevertheless, it's nothing more than a cool story. Laine is an outstanding player in his own right.

The cooler and more fascinating story is Matthews leading the Leafs to the promised land (I hope).

Hes the best prospect Ive ever seen in a Leafs uniform . Without a doubt.

Jul 10, 2003
KW

Not many Leaf fans would go that far.

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
Can I get a Matthews review from someone who watched the game? Couldn't catch this one :(

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Nice to see him get one but what a play by McDavid there. Full speed sauceer pass of his backhand.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011

Don't see him being at the same level as McDavid. But I've been more and more impressed about him. Every time I see Matthews play I am more and more sure that the Leafs picked the best player in the draft and the fact that Matthews is a center is just a bonus. Not the reason.

Don't get me wrong, I think Laine (and Pulju too) is a great prospect and has a ceiling that's really high. But Matthews just simply is so strong on all aspects of the game. He might end up as the better player to McDavid. It's very, very unlikely, but it's possible.

Right now, I'm inclined to put Matthews as the 2nd best prospect drafted after Crosby. The only guy ahead of him would be McDavid. And yes, I realize that this is partly the "new shiny toy syndrome" talking. But I just can't help to be in awe with this kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad