Status
Not open for further replies.

Space Coyote

Oct 29, 2010
Center LHS | 6'2.25 216 lbs
Born: 17-SEP-1997, Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Stats: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=199898

2ikegpt.jpg

With the last thread being locked after over 1k post and no-one opening a new one I thought I'll go ahead and make one.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
How good do you expect him to be compared to Bozak and Kadri as of now?

I reckon he'll be 1st C by the start of next season

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Kadri will be the number 1, and will get the tough minutes. I expect the Nylander/Matthews combo to be used as the #2 line at home when we have last change, and a bit sheltered on the road. Matthews should get prime offensive minutes though, but I don't think he'll be given full-time number 1 duties til 2017-18.

Leafsrock95

Oct 4, 2014
Didn't Eichel take like 25 or so games. Idk maybe Matthews is better or more nhl ready he might just fit right in or take about 10 games id think around 20 maybe a bit more.

Nylander on the other hand got a taste of the NHL last year so I think he will make a quicker transition.

Marner I'm assuming will be with us all 82 games and probably take quite a while maybe 30-40 games. Who knows maybe less, maybe he'll be sent back to junior who knows.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Didn't Eichel take like 25 or so games. Idk maybe Matthews is better or more nhl ready he might just fit right in or take about 10 games id think around 20 maybe a bit more.

Nylander on the other hand got a taste of the NHL last year so I think he will make a quicker transition.

Marner I'm assuming will be with us all 82 games and probably take quite a while maybe 30-40 games. Who knows maybe less, maybe he'll be sent back to junior who knows.

Matthews being older to start the season and having a year of Pro experience under his belt should help the transition compared to Eichel. Not to mention he'll already be warmed up from the World Cup before the start of the season.

Marner has more of an adjustment to make from walking around entire junior teams to making the quick simple play 95% of the time.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015

I reckon Matthews will adapt faster than Eichel as he got that extra year in NLA due to late bday + he seems more mature and collected than draft-year Eichel.

What Eichel had on Matthews though is speed, acceleration and that extra self-confidence (psychology is huge in sports).
So if Matthews takes a little longer I'd say those would be the factors, so he might be good but not put up the numbers at first (sort of like the MacKinnon vs Barkov situation) but after that he'll eventually put it all together

Mar 12, 2009
I reckon Matthews will adapt faster than Eichel as he got that extra year in NLA due to late bday + he seems more mature and collected than draft-year Eichel.

What Eichel had on Matthews though is speed, acceleration and that extra self-confidence (psychology is huge in sports).
So if Matthews takes a little longer I'd say those would be the factors, so he might be good but not put up the numbers at first (sort of like the MacKinnon vs Barkov situation) but after that he'll eventually put it all together

Eichel was also a late birthday...

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
Eichel was also a late birthday...

Everyone seems to forget that for some reason. Eichel is about 5 weeks younger than Matthews relative to their draft year. Or another way to look at it is that Matthews is about 11 months younger than Eichel. So they are/were in pretty much the same place to start their rookie years.

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014

Tough to say. He should (and will based on Babcock's comments) start on the 3rd line for now to give him time to get up to speed in the NHL. Kadri will face the toughest minutes, Bozak should play 2nd fiddle to begin the year playing against opponents 2nd line, giving Matthews 12ish minutes of 5v5 per game against pretty easy competition.

But I wouldn't be at all surprised if Matthews was our 2C by 15 games into the season. Judging by Nylander last year, Babcock has shown he has no problem giving young players tough assignments when they show they're too good for sheltered minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad