C Auston Matthews (2016, 1st, TOR) VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

phosphene*

Feb 18, 2014
West Seneca
Which will be something like "Yup, he's our best player and its only march"

It's a toss up at best. Rielly will be playing #1 minutes from the start and will likely surpass 40 points in doing so, given what he did this past season. It would be hard for any rookie to supplant a bonafide 1D, but I digress. I'd say Matthews will be the best Leaf come 17-18, without a doubt.

figure

Nov 19, 2015
West Coast
It's a toss up at best. Rielly will be playing #1 minutes from the start and will likely surpass 40 points in doing so, given what he did this past season. It would be hard for any rookie to supplant a bonafide 1D, but I digress. I'd say Matthews will be the best Leaf come 17-18, without a doubt.

Mo has a lot to prove before he can make a claim to that description.
He will, I'm certain, in the next 3 years. Next year he will continue to improve in all areas under Babcock, his confidence to make offensive zone plays will also grow, but he may not be a bonafide #1 D by the end of this season.

Here is hoping he will.

This Auston Matthews guy though, the more you watch him, the more you begin to believe the Leafs will finally succeed.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site

I watch pretty much every team at least a couple times per season and when it comes to playing a complete game Rielly is really really close to what you've stated. By the end of next season he'll be the real deal for sure. Too many fans restrict their viewing to the home boys so they won't recognize just how good his game is compared to the rest of the league.
BTW don't worry about me being prone to overrating Leafs prospects/players, they, like the other 29 teams prospects/players don't get undue credit from me, ever. He really is good enough.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Mo has a lot to prove before he can make a claim to that description.
He will, I'm certain, in the next 3 years. Next year he will continue to improve in all areas under Babcock, his confidence to make offensive zone plays will also grow, but he may not be a bonafide #1 D by the end of this season.

Here is hoping he will.

This Auston Matthews guy though, the more you watch him, the more you begin to believe the Leafs will finally succeed.

What makes him a #1? He's already one IMO. Some people will never say he is.

He plays the #1 D role for us, not just in minutes but he is facing top lines, puts up nearly 40 points on the worst offensive team I've seen in a long time, and he isn't a #1?

I'd say sure maybe his advanced stats can improve, but Gardiner has some of the best there is and most don't consider him more than a #4.

So what does he need to do? Score 50 points while doing that? That makes him a top 10 D. Surely there is a gap between a top D in the NHL and being a #1 D?

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
What makes him a #1? He's already one IMO. Some people will never say he is.

He plays the #1 D role for us, not just in minutes but he is facing top lines, puts up nearly 40 points on the worst offensive team I've seen in a long time, and he isn't a #1?

I'd say sure maybe his advanced stats can improve, but Gardiner has some of the best there is and most don't consider him more than a #4.

So what does he need to do? Score 50 points while doing that? That makes him a top 10 D. Surely there is a gap between a top D in the NHL and being a #1 D?

He just doesnt have the same impact that true #1 D do.... that's not really debatable, and there is nothing wrong with that fact. If Rielly was really a bonafide #1 D, the Leafs would be more in line to make the playoffs then to finish last... but as of now that is not the case. Rielly currently has the abilities of a 3/4 whiling playing in a #1 role. That can change this season, but as of now you cant really make a strong case that he is already a #1 Dman.

As for Matthews. I keep seeing people say he is a 'jack-of-all-trades', and then use that to discredit his peak potential.

The truth is, Matthews is closer to a 'master-of-all-trades', which is why he is a special player and will be making an impact on the league as soon as next year.

And anyone who says he isn't flashy might as well just stop posting in threads about him. You clearly have never watched him play, or just know nothing about hockey.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Yeah this whole "Matthews isn't flashy" and "jack of all trades master of none" things really need to die already.

You know who else isn't "flashy?" Sidney Crosby. Does it make him any less of a gamebreaker? Hell no.

Matthews has a Sakic-like wrister along with top notch vision/IQ, he's got some flash to his game.

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
He just doesnt have the same impact that true #1 D do.... that's not really debatable, and there is nothing wrong with that fact. If Rielly was really a bonafide #1 D, the Leafs would be more in line to make the playoffs then to finish last... but as of now that is not the case. Rielly currently has the abilities of a 3/4 whiling playing in a #1 role. That can change this season, but as of now you cant really make a strong case that he is already a #1 Dman.

As for Matthews. I keep seeing people say he is a 'jack-of-all-trades', and then use that to discredit his peak potential.

The truth is, Matthews is closer to a 'master-of-all-trades', which is why he is a special player and will be making an impact on the league as soon as next year.

And anyone who says he isn't flashy might as well just stop posting in threads about him. You clearly have never watched him play, or just know nothing about hockey.

As much as I love Rielly, I agree with this. He's not impacting the Leafs the way a Subban/Karlsson/Doughty/Weber/etc impact their teams. I think his skill is at a #2/#3 level not #3/#4 but he's also just turned 22 and still has plenty of time to blossom into a true #1D. I also think Babcock will be a huge help to him in his development towards true #1 status.

Ditto on all of the Matthews stuff. He's closer to a "master-of-all-trades" than not. That's not to say he's some kind of generational talent (he's not) but people saying he's not particularly elite in any area clearly haven't seen enough of him.

Shot, stick handling, edge work, agility & IQ are all elite level already and comparable to most of the better players in the league.

phosphene*

Feb 18, 2014
West Seneca
To add to my point, I've read comments from Edmonton fans about how Klefbom's absence was more damaging to their season than McDavid's was. Obviously more factors play into this, considering Edmonton has decent center depth, but the point remains. For a teenager in Matthews, as talented as he is, to come into the league and have a bigger impact on the game than your 1D just seems like a tall order. I'm nitpicking, but I'll give Rielly the nod as the best and most crucial Leaf for this coming season.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
As much as I love Rielly, I agree with this. He's not impacting the Leafs the way a Subban/Karlsson/Doughty/Weber/etc impact their teams. I think his skill is at a #2/#3 level not #3/#4 but he's also just turned 22 and still has plenty of time to blossom into a true #1D. I also think Babcock will be a huge help to him in his development towards true #1 status.

Ditto on all of the Matthews stuff. He's closer to a "master-of-all-trades" than not. That's not to say he's some kind of generational talent (he's not) but people saying he's not particularly elite in any area clearly haven't seen enough of him.

Shot, stick handling, edge work, agility & IQ are all elite level already and comparable to most of the better players in the league.

One of these is not like the others. Hint:it's the bolded one.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Weber in his prime. Of course he's declined somewhat nowadays but he was a true #1 and one of the best in the league in his prime.

He still is. Crazy how the trade has all of a sudden turned him into #2 defenseman in some peoples eyes....

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
He still is. Crazy how the trade has all of a sudden turned him into #2 defenseman in some peoples eyes....

Sure, but I fully admit I'm not an expert on Weber's D reputation nowadays so idk. You and the guy I was responding to can hash that out since you seem to have opposing views.

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
he must be back in TO on a more permanent basis now. World Cup is a little over 5 weeks away

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Matthews really seems to like that spinning move. I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes his trademark for losing defenders.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
he must be back in TO on a more permanent basis now. World Cup is a little over 5 weeks away

Think he's training with Belfry, which he would be doing regardless of what team he was drafted by. It is convenient though that Belfry is now a consultant to the Leafs, and is GTA based.

SingleAallStar

Nov 26, 2014
Does anyone have a clip of the goal he got an assist on for Zurich, where he deked through a D-man's legs on the left side of the ice, kinda evaded the check and the puck was scored by a teammate. I don't think he passed it I think the puck just kinda found the scorer after the deke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad