C Aleksi Saarela - Lukko, Liiga (2015, 89th, NYR; traded to CAR, traded to CHI, traded to FLA)

bebl

Jul 5, 2008
Finland
I guess I am confused. He is outpacing himself significantly from last year, when people were calling him a potential steal during the draft. How can someone be "going through the motions" and not have heart all while more than doubling his scoring pace from last year and improving his +/-? I'm confused. For someone with little heart or passion, he seems to be doing well from a statistical perspective. He is the 6th leading scorer on his team while being one of the 3 youngest players.

former expectations... he is probably one of the best junior players ever in Finland.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I think it might be just his style of play, it could be that since he is not that intensive or aggressive I mistakenly construe it as lack of passion and a general disinterest in the game whereas he is just playing calmly and keeping a cool head. I'm a big fan of his, so naturally I hope I am mistaken. I guess I just compare him to that very, very young kid who scored his first goal and assist in his first game in Liiga a couple of years ago. He seemed more dynamic and involved back then. This doesn't mean that I think that he was a better player then, mind you. He is a bit perplexing player that's all.

EDIT
And of course former expectations as bebl pointed out.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We probably wouldn't have been able to pick him if he played well the last few seasons, so I don't really care that much what he did in previous seasons.

What I know is that he's a 3rd round pick who's scoring a lot more this season in a top professional league than he did last season. That should be viewed as an improvement. If this kid is an NHL player, I think the Rangers have done a good job, considering he was picked in the 3rd round.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Another goal tonight, one timer on PP.

Dunno why he gets so much crap for defensive mistakes, looks really good in all three zones, doesn't try to do too much, solid in faceoffs and on PK.

Skating looks good too, not slow by any means.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
He is playing really well, which bodes well for the WJC.

On a side note, he really seems to have inherited his father's strong build: 5'11" and 200 pounds at 18 years of age. At least strength shouldn't be a problem :nod:

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Dunno why he gets so much crap for defensive mistakes, looks really good in all three zones, doesn't try to do too much, solid in faceoffs and on PK.
I guess we didn't watch the same match then. There were several occasions where he failed to contain or keep up with his man.

Skating looks good too, not slow by any means.
It's fine when he gets going, but that's just part of the story. Things like quick 10 feet footraces and sudden changes of direction are the situations that show his stiffness, limited lateral agility and mediocre pivots.

He is playing really well, which bodes well for the WJC.
Some games are better for him than others, but he's still far from stellar. Besides, how many really good games has he actually played for Jalonen, is it 0?

On a side note, he really seems to have inherited his father's strong build: 5'11" and 200 pounds at 18 years of age.
Saarela is 5'10'' with woolen stockings and you know it.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Saarela is 5'10'' with woolen stockings and you know it.

He might be, but I sure don't know it. I mostly just go by the measurements that are given on various sites. Fighting over an inch or two is pointless anyway; the point remains that he is strongly built. And I'm not saying he is dominating Liiga or anything, but it is encouraging to see him getting some goals.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Another goal tonight on a wicked wrister from the top of the circle on PP. He sure seems to have inherited his father's shot and maybe even improved upon it and that's no small compliment. I must say that his newfound shoot-first mentality seems to be suiting him rather well. :handclap:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Another goal tonight on a wicked wrister from the top of the circle on PP. He sure seems to have inherited his father's shot and maybe even improved upon it and that's no small compliment. I must say that his newfound shoot-first mentality seems to be suiting him rather well. :handclap:

What kind of player can he be in the NHL? Production and style?

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
What kind of player can he be in the NHL? Production and style?

If he manages to pull it all together in a few years, I think that he could be a good playmaker with a great shot who can play either center or wing. A discount Zetterberg if you will.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't know how to embed tweets, but he has 8 goals and 10 points in 10 games since returning from the Four Nations Tournament. He's also tied for first in Liiga U-20 goal scorers with Aho at 10, and tied for second with Repo in points of U-20 players in Liiga with 15 points, ahead of Laine and Puljujarvi, with only Aho ahead of him with 21 points.

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu
Man, I'm so happy for him. After all the injuries he's finally making his breakthrough.

:handclap:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Man, I'm so happy for him. After all the injuries he's finally making his breakthrough.
The Young Lions' management ought to be happy as well. While the focus has been on winger depth, with him in form our center group between him, Hintz and Nättinen should be nothing to scoff at either.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Anything is possible with him, glad Rangers drafted him because they have Zuccarello :) /had St. Louis

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I know he's not really all that heralded since the other Finnish forward prospects get most of the hype, but he's continued to play well this season.

2 goals and 1 assist so far through 2 games at the WJC's, and I think it could be more with better line-mates on the third line. He's moving up later in games to a bigger role, which is good. I don't know why he's not the center on the line with Rantanen and Kapanen. I think he's done a much better job so far than Hintz.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
The only Finnish player who's been consistently good throughout the tournament. No highs and lows. Even today after the meltdown he was one of the few who stood out positively while the rest were having a mess of a game.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
The only Finnish player who's been consistently good throughout the tournament. No highs and lows. Even today after the meltdown he was one of the few who stood out positively while the rest were having a mess of a game.

I think so too. I'd like to see Saarela on a line with Rantanen too.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
I would use him 1st line C. Like other posters has stated he have been most consistent player for Finland.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
I would use him 1st line C. Like other posters has stated he have been most consistent player for Finland.

Could he deliver in that position, really? I think it is too big a role for him. But the proble is that there are no good Cs in this team as of now. What about Nattinen??

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Could he deliver in that position, really? I think it is too big a role for him. But the proble is that there are no good Cs in this team as of now. What about Nattinen??

Saarela plays regular at C position in Liiga. He was taking some faceoffs in that game on the PP. We are losing too many faceoffs too. Don't know if Saarela can help but we need to shake up the line combinations except for 2nd line.

I think Björqvist have been pretty good and consistent too. Doing excactly what bottom 6 player should do. Strong on the puck, physical, making buzz at the opponents net.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad