C Aleksi Saarela - Lukko, Liiga (2015, 89th, NYR; traded to CAR, traded to CHI, traded to FLA)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I saw this coming, its the Rangers, such an attention hungry franchise we are.

Hope Saarela has a good career, I think he will. Carolina got a very good prospect.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
I saw this coming, its the Rangers, such an attention hungry franchise we are.

Hope Saarela has a good career, I think he will. Carolina got a very good prospect.

Thanks, been thinking for a while we needed to get Aho a friend. Very happy about this.

edit: Also good luck to the Rangers on their playoff run. Get another cup ring Staal. You can never have enough bling.

strat1

Jan 14, 2016

Look at that wrist shot. He has a really good technique imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

tinozz

Jan 26, 2016
This guy has been good one of the best goal scores in FEL if not the best after that awful start to the season i think he had like 2 goals in the first 15 games or somthing

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
This guy has been good one of the best goal scores in FEL if not the best after that awful start to the season i think he had like 2 goals in the first 15 games or somthing

First 17 games 2 + 4 = 6. Last 30 games 17 + 9 = 26. :handclap:

SpinninRodIntoArmpit

Apr 8, 2015
Without the concussion history he could be somewhere around where he was in the earliest 2015 draft projections should the re-draft be done now. Top 10 that is. I'd pick him 15-25.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Definitely 1st rounder in a re-draft. Always should have been but the concussion history scared some teams a lot is seems.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
Without the concussion history he could be somewhere around where he was in the earliest 2015 draft projections should the re-draft be done now. Top 10 that is. I'd pick him 15-25.

I think he was top 3 2010-2011. Not sure he would be that good even without concussions.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think he was top 3 2010-2011. Not sure he would be that good even without concussions.

What I think he's missing from being where he was in 2010-11 is that truly dynamic skating and ice vision. He's definitely good enough in both areas to play in the NHL though.

I feel like his goal scoring is elite, maybe good enough to score 30 goals in the NHL. He has the tools to be an elite defensive center as well. People point to his height, but he's built like a brick, no problem in that sense.

Maybe its because he's now a Canes prospect, but I think I've finally figured out a good comparison. He kind of reminds of Jeff Skinner with maybe a notch less goal scoring ability, but defensive ability to stay at center and be very good defensively. I wish this wasn't the case, but the concussion history is also very similar for the two players.

Stavros

Nov 30, 2015
Saarela will play for his teams affiliated junior team for rest of the season. Two games to go before playoffs, I expect him to do some serious damage.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Is there a more underrated prospect than Saarela?

He survived another cut for the Finnish world championship team. Currently as it stands, the only two younger players left are Aho and Saarela. Laine should join eventually. It'd be a big accomplishment to make the WC team in his first post draft season.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Carolina traded their sixth round pick Jake Massie to Chicago in the Versteeg/Nordstrom trade. Can't think of any others off the top of my head.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Back to Lukko for next season

allu_nortamonkatu_led.jpg

http://www.raumanlukko.fi/uutiset/2016/04/aleksi-saarela-palaa-kotiin-yhden-vuoden-sopimus-lukkoon

Should have better linemates so I don't think 25-30 goals is out of a question.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Back to Lukko for next season

allu_nortamonkatu_led.jpg

http://www.raumanlukko.fi/uutiset/2016/04/aleksi-saarela-palaa-kotiin-yhden-vuoden-sopimus-lukkoon

Should have better linemates so I don't think 25-30 goals is out of a question.

Good for him and Lukko. Being from Rauma I grew up as a fan of Lukko, even played for Lukko until I didn't get picked for the U20 team, I really appreciate that the team has at least a few homegrown players. Maybe I'll bother to watch their games again now that they have Saarela. As you said - and apart from my personal issues - Saarela will most likely have better linemates and will be quite a clear cut #1 C.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Well for sure will have better linemates than last year, but if he had stayed in Ässät it would've been pretty much the same since Ässät actually has couple of good wingers for the next season.

I'm not sure how I'm gonna react seeing him in Lukko jersey, but personally I wish him the best of luck anyways. Flew pretty much under the radar before the WJC's but can win the goal scoring title next season.:handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad