C Aleksi Heponiemi- Modo, Hockey Allsvenskan, Sweden (2017, 40th, FLA)

whlscowt

He had a really nice Shootout goal the other night that really showcased his puck skills.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This kid's assist per game production has been insane at every level he has played at so far.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
This kid's assist per game production has been insane at every level he has played at so far.

Yeah Heponiemi has been excellent in Swift Current 2nd best scorer of his team and leading scorer of WHL rookies.
But unfortunately that probably isn't enough to make Finland's world junior team this year.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I've been keeping an eye on him for some time, he has made huge steps in the last year or so. Kid has tremendous vision, patience, and offensive instincts. Might have the highest offensive IQ in the draft.

Reminds me of a mix of Teravainen and Aho (not because he's Finnish, but I couldn't think of a better comparison)

He's obviously not the biggest guy, but plenty of small guys are succeeding in today's game. He'll need to work on his quickness with the puck and balance/puck protection, but I think he's got the potential to be an impact top 6 player.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK2t4OlcCsc.
Aleksi Heponiemi's 3 points ( 2+1) night against Regina Pats.

If this young men would be 10-12 centimeters more height he might be potential 1st rounder.
5'9 isn't much height for NHL player so lets wait and see how much small size affects Heponiemi's draft position.
I'd say scouts are probably more concerned about his slight frame (sub-150) than height. Mascherin was the same height (but built like a fire hydrant) so you rarely heard complaints about his size.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I'd say scouts are probably more concerned about his slight frame (sub-150) than height. Mascherin was the same height (but built like a fire hydrant) so you rarely heard complaints about his size.

Don't get me wrong i didn't try say Heponiemi won't get drafted at all he'll get drafted but how high?

Last edited:

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
He seems a bit taller than 5'9 on the latest videos. He's also listed as 5'10 on whl.ca. I'd actually say he looks to be around 5'11 or so, but as you said he is very slight and seems to be a late developer. I think his weight will start to go up and in a year or two he is probably going to end up around 5'10 - 6'0 and 170 - 185. Remains to be seen of course. I have been impressed with him this year as I really didn't have any expectations. At the moment he seems to have a realistic shot to play in NHL someday if he continues the way he has been playing and develops some more. Strength and size are the obvious shortcomings.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
little water bug out there. I dunno if he can be successful at north american pro.

I don't think his height is a problem as he is listed as 5'10. Lack of strength and weight is a problem, but it appears that Heponiemi is a late developer and he could still put on 30 pounds of what is preferably mostly muscle. He is definitely a project though, won't be ready for a few years still.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
BTW Heponiemi is 2nd in the CHL rookie scoring this season

1. Nico Hirchier Halifax-QMJHL 45GA-37G+38A=76PTS +22 (2017 eligible)
2. Aleksi Heponiemi Swift Currrent-WHL 58GA-23G+47A=70PTS +21 (2017 eligible)
3. Nick Henry Regina-WHL 57GA-28G+36A=64PTS +25 (2017 eligible)

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I'm getting a massive "steal" vibe from him, every time i see him play he looks fantastic. He's such a smart player, Viveiros trusts him A LOT. The guy almost plays as much as Patrick does for Brandon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad