C Aleksi Heponiemi- Modo, Hockey Allsvenskan, Sweden (2017, 40th, FLA)

SmartPuck

Mar 8, 2016
He now has 15 points (5 + 10) in six preseason games and leads the WHL scoring by four points. Is there anybody who has seen these games and could tell us something about how he gets his points and how good does he look? His production has come entirely out of the blue for me.

Saw him once. Picture a young Gaudreau.

I think YouTube is streaming some of the WHL games. Though they don't have recordings of them which seems odd.

Either way I am going to have to go to a Giants game just to see him live.

YouTube streaming WHL games? No.

whlscowt

Saw him once. Picture a young Gaudreau.

Whhhhhaaaaa? I think you're really overrating his game based on his preseason production-- and look I have to pump the brakes myself, his first showing he showed great promise but after seeing him 4 times prior to last nights game, he's not as exciting. I expect him to have a good season, but his skillset isn't there. He didn't do much of anything last night. His assist came from a holding the puck for 1 second and then making a drop pass to the point. Steenbergen (undrafted) did most of the work and looked like a better player all night. I think against better competition Aleksi might struggle, but I also wonder about Viveiros' system. At times the Broncos are flying, but they really struggled. We'll see how the team, coach, an Hepo respond on Sunday.

What I said last time: "I think what we're seeing here is moreso a product of Emanuel Viveiros than some potential diamond in the rough superstar."

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Whhhhhaaaaa? I think you're really overrating his game based on his preseason production-- and look I have to pump the brakes myself, his first showing he showed great promise but after seeing him 4 times prior to last nights game, he's not as exciting. I expect him to have a good season, but his skillset isn't there. He didn't do much of anything last night. His assist came from a holding the puck for 1 second and then making a drop pass to the point. Steenbergen (undrafted) did most of the work and looked like a better player all night. I think against better competition Aleksi might struggle, but I also wonder about Viveiros' system. At times the Broncos are flying, but they really struggled. We'll see how the team, coach, an Hepo respond on Sunday.

What I said last time: "I think what we're seeing here is moreso a product of Emanuel Viveiros than some potential diamond in the rough superstar."

Well, yeah. If he had superstar level skill, we would have known about it here in Finland already. My thinking is that he might just become a useful NHL player if all goes right. Earlier I would have said that it's impossible.

whlscowt

He picked up 4 assists today. Though he wasn't particularly impressive, if that's even possible on a 4 point night haha. I really think the real "prospect" to watch on this Broncos team is Viveiros. He's an exciting coach, what he's doing with that Broncos system is impressive.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
His vision is very impressive but he tends to hold on to the puck too long and forces passes he shouldn't be making. Against a better team it'll end up in the back of his net often. He also doesn't like to go anywhere he might get hit. Hopefully over time that'll improve. The raw ability is definitely there though.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Heponiemi is his teams 2nd best scorer getting 4 assists in 2 games ( 2,00 PPG) not bad start for rookie

Last edited:

SmartPuck

Mar 8, 2016
He picked up 4 assists today. Though he wasn't particularly impressive, if that's even possible on a 4 point night haha. I really think the real "prospect" to watch on this Broncos team is Viveiros. He's an exciting coach, what he's doing with that Broncos system is impressive.

Lol he was the best player on the ice by a comfortable margin. His vision and smarts are on another level. I'll say it again...he's got a lot of Gaudreau to his game.

whlscowt

Lol he was the best player on the ice by a comfortable margin. His vision and smarts are on another level. I'll say it again...he's got a lot of Gaudreau to his game.

No, I can without a doubt say that is not true. Steenbergen carried the line all night outside of one or two plays, in the defensive and offensive zone -- I've watched every minute of both games and a number of the preseason bouts -- I was even on the Hepo hype train early in preseason, and it's one of the reasons I'm watching Broncos games this early in this season and might be in PA to catch the game live on Friday; but that hype has teetered off in my opinion. Saying there's a lot of Gaudreau in his game is not accurate. He's a good player, and early on I feel like he's good enough to be drafted, but there are a lot of holes in his game in particular his shot's below average, and while he makes a lot of great passes, he's also very wild in that regard, I had him make 7 arrant passes, and charged him with 8 giveaways in my notes (reminds me of Stransky in his desire to always want to make the highlight reel play, without the upper tier talent to be making them on a consistent basis). Like I've said before, he's interesting, and a WHL player to for sure watch, but some of the hype needs to be reeled back in.

whlscowt

Caught the game live on Friday, and just finished watching a replay of the Tigers game.

Raiders game: Good skater, though he's lazy on the backcheck. He was getting an earful on the bench after he let (I believe it was) Glover walk into the slot like he owned the place. Had a nice pass that created a decent scoring chance off the rush, but outside of that his scoring opportunities were limited. I think what I'll remember most about this game is, with an empty net in front of him, Hepo, blocks the clearing play along the boards, instead of passing the puck he tries to dangle around the defender, and gets the puck stolen from him. Now the Broncos would convert seconds later, but that singular play sums up this kids play early on in his WHL career. He tries to do much, without the proper skillset to really cash in.

Tigers game: Again, skates well on the rush, and was in on a few chances, but has really limited finish. His shot is without a doubt a huge question mark right now. As well as he reads the play in transition for a pass, his goal scorers instinct or rather hockey IQ in this regard is lacking. There were two consecutive shifts for him to follow up on a nice juicy rebound, but he literally stopped skating prior, and gave up on the play. Fischer who had a really physical game, outmuscled him on a few ocassions and you could tell Hepo responded poorly to the physical play. (Fischer had a nasty hit in this game that spurred on a fight, interesting player too, for different reasons, though I don't see a lot of NHL upside there for those curious, especially in his D+1 year. Too bad, great name).

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver

You're right. Why would a junior league that's just started a streaming service want to stream a few preseason games somewhere someone might actually see them. That's just silly.

Hoping to catch the Broncos at Giants on the 22nd.

SmartPuck

Mar 8, 2016
You're right. Why would a junior league that's just started a streaming service want to stream a few preseason games somewhere someone might actually see them. That's just silly.

Hoping to catch the Broncos at Giants on the 22nd.

I was simply answering your question.

And they haven't "just started" a streaming service. It's been around for years now.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Not to mention that every YouTube hockey stream that ever existed is *illlegal

Nonsense. Youtube was the go-to place for IIHF to stream the games for free to countries where they didn't have anyone to actually pay for the WHC broadcasting rights a couple of years back.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
I was simply answering your question.

And they haven't "just started" a streaming service. It's been around for years now.

Sure, bud.

Apparently it has been a few years. I would have said 2 or 3, not 5 or 6. Either way, they could use the exposure.

Yeah, that's just incorrect.

whlscowt

We should probably get back on track here and talk about Hepo, but lots of leagues/teams offer free streams on youtube. I watch a number of MHL games live, and the streams are listed right on the main MHL site. A lot of lesser leagues without the big tv/neulion contracts use youtube.

I didn't see the Tuesday game (and doubt I go back and watch this game) against the Hawks but it looks like the Broncos exploded for 7 goals. Hepo only managed 1--which I think puts him at 1 point in 4 games.

Visul

Dec 22, 2015
The 139 pounds he`s listed at, is that still accurate? Pretty good season so far.

5'10 / 141 according to whl.ca. Let's just say there's plenty of room for muscle in his body.

Heponiemi has been very consistent this season and he has scored at least 1 point in 20 games of 26 he has played. Right now he's under 11 game point streak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad