C Adam Fantilli - (2023, 3rd, CBJ) Part 2

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Fantilli on his own was a 1st overall talent yet here we are talking about how Columbus drafted him just based on need

We are just going to keep ignoring the ridiculous season he had and the tools he has

Easily a first overall caliber prospect in a year that doesn't have a generational prospect. As per usual, there is a lot of overreacting going on around here. Fantilli has a great career ahead of him.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Easily a first overall caliber prospect in a year that doesn't have a generational prospect. As per usual, there is a lot of overreacting going on around here. Fantilli has a great career ahead of him.

I don’t even know why there is an overreaction going on, other than ultra Michkov fans not being able to accept there can be better players than Fantilli.

Other than then nobody has nothing to complain about Fantillis season/game

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
No.

However, a team should not be drafting for "need" when the possibility is that they could be a bottom of the division team. If you are that far away, you should be in the rebuilding phase, and you take whoever you think is the best player in that spot.

Whether Fantilli was the right pick where he was selected, the idea that they took him because he was a center over another player when everyone can see the team is nowhere close to contending should have you questioning the philosophy. Yes, no one disputes Columbus needs centers to be a better team. However, we could be talking about for a window that opens in 4 years. The fact that the GM and President thought it started now and they were going to accomplish it starting now partly by using a 3rd overall pick to fill that need is a big red flag about the job they are doing.
Agreed clubs, with their top picks, should always take BPA. Fantilli was the BPA. Michkov being a winger does not impact on winning when compared to a natural centre. Fantilli was the right pick. The first guys selected were the right picks. It was at five where the picks got off BPA.

Reactions: ThisIsMyAlibi

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hey Folks,

The topic is Adam Fantilli, not Michkov. Comparing the two players is one thing but when it goes off on a tangent where it’s just about Michkov it’s thread derailing.

Also, if you feel someone is trolling, please report don’t reply.

Let’s try and have a nice civil discussion here.

Thanks

Leo

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
This thread is crazy sometimes.

This year's presumed first overall is producing at a lower rate than Fantilli did last year. Fantilli is the total package, producing at a great rookie rate as an 18 year old in the NHL.

He's big, he's fast, hes creative, he's handsome. He's exactly what every team wants and he's playing on a team of that's been desperate to have someone like him.

Fantastic player.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

This year's presumed first overall is producing at a lower rate than Fantilli did last year. Fantilli is the total package, producing at a great rookie rate as an 18 year old in the NHL.

He's big, he's fast, hes creative, he's handsome. He's exactly what every team wants and he's playing on a team of that's been desperate to have someone like him.

Fantastic player.
Ah yes quite the important metric, looks/60.

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County

Fantastic player.
Curious if this is what helps elevate his play over his peers?

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
It doesn't but sports are a spectacle and good looks brings more eyes, he's got star power in a sport that lacks it.
I was kidding with my comment but actually agree with you that fans can be drawn in to star athletes with good looks. What’s interesting though is how before the draft there were multiple comments about how Fantilli looked like a 40 year old man, versus how you view his looks. Goes to show that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Reactions: Just Linda

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I find it funny Ducks fans are in here defending Fantilli when you would think we would have every reason to hope he busts to validate the Carlsson pick.

Fantilli is going to be fine. Michkov likely wasnt even an option for the Blue Jackets the same way he likely wasn’t for the Ducks.

Offtheboard412

Feb 26, 2012
I was kidding with my comment but actually agree with you that fans can be drawn in to star athletes with good looks. What’s interesting though is how before the draft there were multiple comments about how Fantilli looked like a 40 year old man, versus how you view his looks. Goes to show that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Looking older than his age doesn't mean people thought he was ugly lol.

Offtheboard412

Feb 26, 2012
And it also doesn’t mean they view him as handsome. I merely commented that people were stating he looks old while she’s stating he’s handsome. Where was I wrong with that?
I didn't say you were wrong. Just that the tone of your comment made it sound like those were mutually exclusive things. I remember a lot of comments from people stating both. He does look older than his age AND he is handsome.

And that's all I'm going to say because I'm not going to argue about his looks anymore.

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
I didn't say you were wrong. Just that the tone of your comment made it sound like those were mutually exclusive things. I remember a lot of comments from people stating both. He does look older than his age AND he is handsome.

And that's all I'm going to say because I'm not going to argue about his looks anymore.
If the tone was off then that’s my bad. I just find it interesting how people describe people completely differently. Maybe I should’ve used a different phrase than “beauty is in the eye of the beholder” at the end of my post. Still, one person saying he’s handsome, while another is saying he looks old, are still quite different which was the point of my post.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
I find it funny Ducks fans are in here defending Fantilli when you would think we would have every reason to hope he busts to validate the Carlsson pick.

Besides hoping for Bedard I think most Ducks fans spent the months leading up to the draft hoping to at least get Fantilli or Carlsson, to an extent that I think most fans really ended up liking both for different reasons, even though the general preference seemed to be for Fantilli.

In some ways I think Fantilli's up and down style might have gelled a bit better with Terry, and I can only imagine his frenetic pace combined with Zegras' creativity would have been gobs of fun, so I don't think they'd have gone wrong either way.

Likewise CBJ fans had probably already settled into the idea of Carlsson after the lottery. And it didn't sound like their fans here were devastated with that outcome either, even if they obviously were bummed to drop a spot.

It's funny to consider though that had the two teams been picking in reverse order, we might still have ended up with the same guys going to the same teams.

Reactions: CBJx614 and SG1990

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Besides hoping for Bedard I think most Ducks fans spent the months leading up to the draft hoping to at least get Fantilli or Carlsson, to an extent that I think most fans really ended up liking both for different reasons, even though the general preference seemed to be for Fantilli.

In some ways I think Fantilli's up and down style might have gelled a bit better with Terry, and I can only imagine his frenetic pace combined with Zegras' creativity would have been gobs of fun, so I don't think they'd have gone wrong either way.

Likewise CBJ fans had probably already settled into the idea of Carlsson after the lottery. And it didn't sound like their fans here were devastated with that outcome either, even if they obviously were bummed to drop a spot.

It's funny to consider though that had the two teams been picking in reverse order, we might still have ended up with the same guys going to the same teams.

To the fans that don't normally obsess over prospects, there appeared a pretty big drop off from Fantilli to Carlsson. Most publications had a gap there too. Carlsson's SHL scoring pace didn't stand out (outside of the context of what line he was on and so on), not like what Fantilli did. I had to argue up hill for months that Carlsson was actually just as good (or better, in my opinion), that there were 3 1st OA caliber centers right there, and drafting 3rd in such a year was amazing luck. So yeah, people were definitely disappointed when it seemed we missed out on Bedard AND Fantilli. Even some of our draftniks didn't think Carlsson had elite potential.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I don’t even know why there is an overreaction going on, other than ultra Michkov fans not being able to accept there can be better players than Fantilli.

Other than then nobody has nothing to complain about Fantillis season/game
Everyone expects a superstar to have an Ovechkin like rookie year at 18.

Reactions: BB88

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Zero have had an elite season post Matthews/Laine draft.

Fantilli is going to be a superstar in this league
I mean Bedard is currently on pace to equal and even top Matthews’ rookie szn, but I get what you mean

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I mean Bedard is currently on pace to equal and even top Matthews’ rookie szn, but I get what you mean

I was ignoring this year completely to show what was the reality between 16-23 drafts.

None of them looked as good as Fantilli, who’s actually able to drive the play abd create scoring chances. Not just scoring and otherwise being useless foe the rest of the game

Reactions: jj cale

Apr 9, 2009
USA
If someone can post the highlight of the goal Adam just scored before I find one... it must be posted. When he got the puck in the dzone, he made a slick move to get around the defender. It was nice. Then he went between the legs to make a pass across the ice (EDIT: slight exaggeration on the distance of the pass on my end). He skated down the boards and then smacked in the one-timer for the goal. It was a beaut from beginning to end. Michkovian, even. ;)

Last edited:

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
If someone can post the highlight of the goal Adam just scored before I find one... it must be posted. When he got the puck in the dzone, he made a slick move to get around the defender. It was nice. Then he went between the legs to make a pass across the ice. He skated down the boards and then smacked in the one-timer for the goal. It was a beaut from beginning to end. Michkovian, even. ;)
That move, pass, and goal were each highlight worthy in their own right.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I don’t know if I’ve ever seen that kind of between the legs saucer pass, at least not in the neutral zone. Nice that he was able to finish off the play so it will be on his highlight real forever - and that CBJ is finally putting their future together in letting that Johnson-Fantilli connection grow.

Reactions: jj cale

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad