TSN: Byfuglien gives lukewarm response on Winnipeg

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Meh, glass half full type person could read that in a negative way, but his tone would tell the real story with that wording. I can see how it's "lukewarm" for someone, but that's reaching a little far to be honest. I mean, do these guys ever get tired of answering the same questions the same way over and over? I know I would.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
:help:
What else was he supposed to say? You can pretty well copy and paste <insert generic answer here> when speaking to most pro athletes on the contract status of their contract year

"We'll be alright as long as we stick together as a team." :laugh:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Meh, glass half full type person could read that in a negative way, but his tone would tell the real story with that wording. I can see how it's "lukewarm" for someone, but that's reaching a little far to be honest. I mean, do these guys ever get tired of answering the same questions the same way over and over? I know I would.

Actually by Buff standards it is a ringing endorsement. But you get a feel about Buff in different ways. After Tuesdays win he was far more talkative with local media and seemed pretty pumped about going ice fishing in the morning. IMO Buff is never going to gush about anything. Him saying he is comfortable is all you are ever going to get.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Bit of a stretch here and you have to admit Buff is not very media polished. If anything it's a bit positive but I'm not worried either way.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
He gave a pretty good response and said he really likes it in Winnipeg. That article headline is a ****ing joke.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Buff gave a Buff response. He's quiet and not very emotive in interviews. He just wants to play hockey and go fishing. I would rather he do it here than elsewhere.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
You can't accuse that article of writers bias, because Dan Rosen writes directly for the NHL. He's not even trying to paint a narrative, merely stating some facts and some quotes from Buff. Far better than that slagoff in the OP.

ediger

Jan 28, 2013
Winnipeg
someone who doesn't hear or read a lot of Byfuglien interviews could interpret that as a less that glowing review. Those of us that have heard a fair number know that the fact that he said anything more than "It's alright" is a huge positive. The guy doesn't like to elaborate so for him to list off a few things he likes about the city is like the equivalent to a normal person gushing over it.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
lol, that was about 100 times more positive than anything Kane ever said about Winnipeg! If that's lukewarm it's ok by me...I don't really need these guys to absolutely love winnipeg with all their heart. I just would like them not to hate it here...at least it was better than "I like my apartment." :D

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Title should be: "Byfuglien gives standard lukewarm response to any and all questions".

Slow news day, I guess.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
The headline really should have been "Scribe chooses to interpret Buff quote as negatively as possible"

oldcoot

Jan 25, 2012
I'd be worried if, like Frolik or Stamkos, he said he really, really wants to stay and loves it here and loves the fans. From a negotiating standpoint, saying he has no problem with Winnipeg but just wants to wear a jersey, it sounds like he really, really wants to stay.

SoupaTroupa

WHY NOT US?
Jan 8, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who felt that was totally reported out of context. I read Buff's interview and I thought to myself that for a Buff interview that was pretty positive. Usually he just shrugs his shoulders and says "well, you know, I like the guys, I have no opinion, you know, talk to my agent" For Buff, that WAS pretty gushing. :laugh:

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
I came into this thread thinking "aw ****", then realized there was no need to be afraid.

MB has good ice fishing, which seems to be his #1 criteria, he's locked down!

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
First off, it was a standard Buff response, like most of you have said.

Second, even if it was lukewarm, it could just as well have something to do with indecision within his own family circle, and nothing to do with Winnipeg. Perfectly reasonable.

You know, I am trying to think what my reaction to the article is, and I think it is that I truly feel sorry for someone like Frank Seravalli. Here is someone who probably worked hard to get into media, and now he is reduced to peddling cheap click-bait.

Let's face it, TSN's website is the McDonald's of news and Frank isn't even flipping burgers he's sweeping the floors.
;)

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agreed with just about everyone's response. My guess is he really likes where he is and something will get done soon.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I used to be on the sign Ladd, trade Buff camp. Now I'm on the trade Ladd, sign Buff (if possible 3 years...) camp. He's never going to ramble on about his love for this place, he's a quiet, private guy. Seems extremely reasonable for a dude in the middle of contract negoiations.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
If I was getting paid millions of dollars to play a sport (or do any job really), then answers like "I don't mind" and "it's close to home" would be more than good enough. If you weren't from Winnipeg and had no other ties to the city, not minding it and being close to home would be valid reasons to stay there if you liked your job.

Sure, it's not the typical playing to the media that most players are coached to do - e.g. "I love it here", said for the tenth time about the tenth city a player has played in - but it comes off as a genuine answer that's not at all negative.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Maybe he didnt want to say how much he wants to stay and play for Winnipeg, because the last guy that expessed that was run out of town by Chevy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad