Pre-Game Talk: Buffalo @ SENS Barn, Tuesday 6:45 Pm (The Anderson Retirement game)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Great gesture from the SENS Org. to sign Craig Anderson to one game to retire him as a Senator!

Good move

1697981157252.png

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Alfie retired a wing and Anderson retired a sabre. These one day contracts are meaningless but I guess they help out with the vibes

Reactions: jbeck5

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
If the team really buckles down and comes ready to play I'll be able to get that $4 Gabriel's pizza I was so cruelly denied yesterday

• Haha
Reactions: Sun God Nika

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Buffalo hasn't been playing well so far. Senators should be able to turn their fortunes around on this one. If not, that would be a little concerning (it's still very early in the season).

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Buffalo hasn't been playing well so far. Senators should be able to turn their fortunes around on this one. If not, that would be a little concerning (it's still very early in the season).
Losing two in a row to divisional rivals and direct rebuild rivals would be tough to swallow. If we play exactly like we did against Detroit I don’t think we will lose tho

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Alfie retired a wing and Anderson retired a sabre. These one day contracts are meaningless but I guess they help out with the vibes

Always thought this way.

People will look at his stat page and he will forever be known to have played his last game on buffalo. His last kick at the can was in Buffalo. He made the decision to retire from professional hockey, in Buffalo.

If you really want the guy to retire a sen, and it's mutual, then you should bring them back before they retire so they can play a year here and then retire.

These things don't do it for me, and I don't understand how they do it for anyone else.

But, regardless of if it makes sense or not, I understand that it does do something for some people.

But I totally agree with you. The thing seems dumb and fake and pointless.

Not meaningless to the player, it's more for them than you or I.

Of course not. It's a fun free party all about your career.

Anyone would love a big grand retirement party.

Doesn't change the fact that it's not real. He retired as a member of the Buffalo Sabres. You really have to do some mental gymnastics to think otherwise.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I mean, it’s only slightly less meaningless than professional sports, so if that’s where you draw the line on legitimacy, great.

Well, we can just use logic and not worry about how meaningful or meaningless it is.

Logically and factually speaking, he retired as a buffalo sabre.

Has nothing to do with how important it is. It's about how factual it is.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Well, we can just use logic and not worry about how meaningful or meaningless it is.

Logically and factually speaking, he retired as a buffalo sabre.

Has nothing to do with how important it is. It's about how factual it is.
The only thing I’m really a litttttllleee stuck
Up about is number retiring with winning zero. But even on that I’m whatever. Retire every number. The world will continue to spin

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Always thought this way.

People will look at his stat page and he will forever be known to have played his last game on buffalo. His last kick at the can was in Buffalo. He made the decision to retire from professional hockey, in Buffalo.

If you really want the guy to retire a sen, and it's mutual, then you should bring them back before they retire so they can play a year here and then retire.

These things don't do it for me, and I don't understand how they do it for anyone else.

But, regardless of if it makes sense or not, I understand that it does do something for some people.

But I totally agree with you. The thing seems dumb and fake and pointless.

Of course not. It's a fun free party all about your career.

Anyone would love a big grand retirement party.

Doesn't change the fact that it's not real. He retired as a member of the Buffalo Sabres. You really have to do some mental gymnastics to think otherwise.
NHL players can announce that they’ve retired… but I always understood that they don’t officially become retired until they file their retirement papers with the NHLPA, and set in motion the process to begin their pension plan payments or something along those lines….

Does anyone know if Anderson has officially filed his retirement papers? I doubt it.

He is signing a one day contract, legally becoming a Senator for the day and then retiring as a Senator… this is his choice, and whatever the naysayers want to believe … no one that matter, care.

Anderson will be at the least added to the ring of Honour, or perhaps even has his number retired in Ottawa, and not Buffalo. So there is that.

Guy Lafleur “retired” from the Canadiens and then three years later came out of ” retirement and played three more seasons ( 1 with Rangers 2 with Quebec)….. Does anyone think of him as being a retired Nordique?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
What's the beef?

What beef? I literally said I would have rathered they bring him back for his last year of professional hockey if both sides wanted him to retire a senator.

Make it legit. Not a 1 day.

Either should have had him here instead of Talbot last year or this year instead of korpisalo if they both wanted it so bad.

I just don't see these 1 day contracts as legit. It's not a beef with Andy or anyone that has done these things. It's a beef with the concept in general. It's just not legit. It's like those honorary degrees. They aren't a legitimate degree.

NHL players can announce that they’ve retired… but I always understood that they don’t officially become retired until they file their retirement papers with the NHLPA, and set in motion the process to begin their pension plan payments or something along those lines….

Does anyone know if Anderson has officially filed his retirement papers? I doubt it.

He is signing a one day contract, legally becoming a Senator for the day and then retiring as a Senator… this is his choice, and whatever the naysayers want to believe … no one that matter, care.

Anderson will be at the least added to the ring of Honour, or perhaps even has his number retired in Ottawa, and not Buffalo. So there is that.

Guy Lafleur “retired” from the Canadiens and then three years later came out of ” retirement and played three more seasons ( 1 with Rangers 2 with Quebec)….. Does anyone think of him as being a retired Nordique?

I'm very ok with him joining the ring of honour as the winningest goalie in franchise history.

Just don't tell me he retired in Ottawa with a straight face. We can all look at his stat sheet and see that he didn't.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
What beef? I literally said I would have rathered they bring him back for his last year of professional hockey if both sides wanted him to retire a senator.

Either should have had him here instead of Talbot last year or this year instead of korpisalo if they both wanted it so bad.

I just don't see these 1 day contracts as legit. It's not a beef with Andy or anyone that has done these things. It's a beef with the concept in general. It's just not legit. It's like those honorary degrees. They aren't a legitimate degree.

I'm very ok with him joining the ring of honour as the winningest goalie in franchise history.

Just don't tell me he retired in Ottawa with a straight face. We can all look at his stat sheet and see that he didn't.
Just don't. Go wash out your recycling bins or something...anything really.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Especially since he was a better than Talbots

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

1697993394073.png

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I expect the Sens to be up and down all year.

What I really want to see from them is not losing multiple games in a row. Even if they win one lose one, going into a losing streak could sink them.

Need to win this game. Stay at least a couple games over 500 until christmas.

Reactions: maclean
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad