Buffalo Bills Talk 2017 part 2 (9-7): Next - The Offseason with First Round Picks at 21 & 22

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Tinkering with ESPN's playoff machine, I think this could happen to get the Bills in.

Starting with the assumption that the Bills go 2-1, beating MIA x2 and losing to NE to finish 9-7.

1.) KC wins out. Yeah, this hurts our draft position, but if the Chargers beat the Chiefs and win out, and the Chiefs win the other 2 games to end the year , we're sunk. It ends with the Chargers taking the division at 10-6, KC gets the final spot at 9-7.

KC's final 2 games are vs. MIA and at DEN. If they beat LAC, they could easily win those games, and the Chargers are playing at NYJ and vs. OAK to end the season. They could pretty easily win those 2 games, as well. So, we sacrifice the draft position for a shot to make it in.

2.) Ravens drop 1 vs. IND/CIN.
I'm going back and forth on what's more likely between the Ravens losing to one of these opponents, or TEN losing to one of SF/LAR and losing to the Jags. The Titans have been insanely lucky in close games, and I could see them squeaking out a bs win over the Rams after handling SF. Cincy or Indy bails us out.

3.) Bills finish with the 6 seed.

In this scenario, the Titans don't have any impact at all. They can go 11-5, all that happens is they and the Jags flip positions in their division. If the Jags implode, it doesn't affect us, either.

Knowing the Bills, all this will play out and we blow it against the Fins in week 17.

aceface33

Feb 10, 2006
Herkimer, NY
You have to explain that first point to me Kirby. If the Bills and Chiefs both finish at 9-7 don't we beat them on the head to head tiebreaker?

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Only if no one else is 9-7. If say BAL finishes 10-6 and TEN finishes 9-7 (or vice versa), creating a 3-way tiebreaker at 9-7, KC would actually win that tiebreaker for the #6 seed, while if LA was the 3rd team in that tiebreaker we would (currently) win it.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
SEAN MCDERMOTT: "MOVING FORWARD" (16:23)
Head Coach Sean McDermott addressed the media Monday afternoon topics include; players stepping up, recovery process after a snow game, and a injury update.

RICK DENNISON: "ADJUSTMENTS AS WE WENT" (7:10)
Offensive Coordinator Rick Dennison spoke with the media on Monday following the teams 13-7 win over the Colts, topics include; changing of the game plan last minute due to injury and other factors, how the weather played a part in calling plays, and looking ahead to the next game.

LESLIE FRAZIER: "OUR GUYS BATTLED" (13:58)
Defensive Coordinator Leslie Frazier spoke with the media Monday following the teams 13-7 victory over the Colts, topics included; adjusting to the snowy conditions during the game, complimenting the fans who were at the game, and players resilience on the season with 3 games left to go.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
ESPN.com has Bills in the 6th spot for the playoffs. ESPN Monday Night Football has the Ravens as the 6th spot. What?

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
ESPN.com has Bills in the 6th spot for the playoffs. ESPN Monday Night Football has the Ravens as the 6th spot. What?

It’s a weird situation. Right now Baltimore has only played 3 of their common games with us, so that can’t be used as a tiebreaker (it’s a minimum of 4). We then beat them using the strength of victory tiebreaker. But if both teams win out, they will win two other games against common opponents and beat us using that tiebreaker.

Essentially we currently are technically in 6th, but if there’s a head to head tiebreaker at the end of the year at 10-6, they will beat us.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
It’s a weird situation. Right now Baltimore has only played 3 of their common games with us, so that can’t be used as a tiebreaker (it’s a minimum of 4). We then beat them using the strength of victory tiebreaker. But if both teams win out, they will win two other games against common opponents and beat us using that tiebreaker.

Essentially we currently are technically in 6th, but if there’s a head to head tiebreaker at the end of the year at 10-6, they will beat us.

Yea, but you would assume ESPNs Monday Night Football would pull the data from ESPN.com at least?

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
You have to explain that first point to me Kirby. If the Bills and Chiefs both finish at 9-7 don't we beat them on the head to head tiebreaker?
What Chainsaw said--KC wins a three way tie with us (I believe if any of LAC, TEN, and BAL are the other teams) based on strength of victory. If they go 9-7, we have to hope no one else finishes with that record, which could be a big ask--Baltimore could randomly drop one game, TEN could go 1-2 fairly easily, or the Chargers could win their final 2 games. IMO, we're better off having KC completely out of that scenario. The other option is they lose both of the next 2 and are out, but it's hard to say what Miami team will show up then.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Should have happened sooner IMO. He’s been been their best LB by a mile.
Agreed, which makes sense since he is by far their fastest LB in a scheme that requires speed from the LB position. I fully expect him to be the only LB brought back next year. Honestly, he, Shaq, and Hughes could wind up being the only returning starters in the front 7 next year.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I would assume the monday night anchors do their own pregame research
Actually, I would assume the anchors do no research themselves and rather have staff do it for them. And I further assume none of them on any MNF crew give a crap about the Bills or their playoff chances.

The lowest team again. That's not deserved for this game.
Tasker unavailable, still digging out.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Actually, I would assume the anchors do no research themselves and rather have staff do it for them. And I further assume none of them on any MNF crew give a crap about the Bills or their playoff chances.

Tasker unavailable, still digging out.
I’d guess Tasker is on his own and gets a media playbook and is left to his own to pull out what he needs, that the playbook is put together by people completely separate from the people building the ESPN cite, and that the big name personalities on Monday have a handful policy nerds who would be more likely to make nerd football arguments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad