Value of: Buffalo and Ottawa

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Karlsson and Bobby both have varying degrees of NTCs in their contracts, and I think Bobby also has a NMC.

Just something to consider when discussing trades.

I'm not saying Buffalo is on their NTC lists, but Buffalo is probably on their NTC lists.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
That is disgusting

Actually, it isn't. Ottawa would be getting another high quality center that's locked up. Buffalo would be getting a great defensemen who's contract is up in a year and will probably want 11-12 million a year and might explore is UFA status. Buffalo by far takes the greatest risk. Such a great risk that I don't think Buffalo would do it. In two years, O'Reilly will be in Ottawa, and Karlsson will end up going to the Rangers or some crap and Buffalo would be stuck with Ryan's contract.

Last edited:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Hmm...What would I want in addition a a massive cap dump for a 1C? Tough call, I guess like a 3rd round pick. :sarcasm:

Non-sarcastic answer: Buffalo isn't in any position to be absorbing albatross contracts like Ryan's, and the only way it would make any sense to deal ROR is if a #1D is coming to Buffalo.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Yeah think Karlsson is a guy Buffalo would want in such a trade. In that case we'd want Ristolainen back as well as a 2018 1st and Mittelstadt with O'reilly for Karlsson and Ryan.

Buffalo would never deal this much for a guy with one year left. This would be them restarting their rebuild after one season of EK. You could never get the top value for EK from a team in a rebuild.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Yeah think Karlsson is a guy Buffalo would want in such a trade. In that case we'd want Ristolainen back as well as a 2018 1st and Mittelstadt with O'reilly for Karlsson and Ryan.
this is atrocious for buffalo. Half of this would be fair for karlsson

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Karlsson is worth a ton, even with just one year left. Attaching Ryan to him drastically cuts that value. I'd add a top 3 protected 1st and Nylander to ROR if it got us Karlsson, attach Ryan to that and you need to take back salary (Moulson, Bogosian, Okposo) and drop that first to next year's or a second this year.

If you're going to trade one year of Karlsson you need to do it straight up for a haul. Adding Ryan is the worst possible thing Ottawa could do.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Actually, it isn't. Ottawa would be getting another high quality center that's locked up. Buffalo would be getting a great defensemen who's contract is up in a year and will probably want 11-12 million a year and might explore is UFA status. Buffalo by far takes the greatest risk. Such a great risk that I don't think Buffalo would do it. In two years, O'Reilly will be in Ottawa, and Karlsson will end up going to the Rangers or some crap and Buffalo would be stuck with Ryan's contract.

That's why it's disgusting.

Reactions: sabrescupbound

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Buffalo is rebuilding so we're not trading core pieces like Eichel, ROR, Ristolainen, Mittelsadt, Guhle and Reinhart. This year was disappointing, but the future is bright especially when you consider we are adding another top 5 pick.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
The original premises leaves little to work with here. ROR has good value; Ryan has negative value.

So you're asking for an asset, while disposing of a liability.

Right off the bat you're setting up what would have to be a King's ransom from Ottawa.

Doesn't work for either team at any level when adjusted to take reality into consideration.

Time to postulate your next trade/value of proposal, cuz this one is weak, even by HF standards....

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Buffalo is rebuilding so we're not trading core pieces like Eichel, ROR, Ristolainen, Mittelsadt, Guhle and Reinhart. This year was disappointing, but the future is bright especially when you consider we are adding another top 5 pick.

True as you tell it.

Love your Avatar; spent many a night pounding those Genny Screamers!! 16 oz cases for $8.99! I'm old, what can I say! :thumbu:

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
I think a swap around ROR-Karlsson makes sense for both teams. But Karlsson's looming free agency complicates things.

Only way I move ROR is for a #1D man. But I wouldn't want that #1D man walking away after only one season and not get some kind of compensation for it. Therefore, the deal would need some HEFTY future considerations built into it depending on Karlsson re-upping w/ Buffalo or not.

Karlsson
Ryan
Future considerations (depending on Karlsson re-signing)

ROR
Bogosian

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
I think a swap around ROR-Karlsson makes sense for both teams. But Karlsson's looming free agency complicates things.

Only way I move ROR is for a #1D man. But I wouldn't want that #1D man walking away after only one season and not get some kind of compensation for it. Therefore, the deal would need some HEFTY future considerations built into it depending on Karlsson re-upping w/ Buffalo or not.

Karlsson
Ryan
Future considerations (depending on Karlsson re-signing)

ROR
Bogosian

I'd give up 2 extra 1sts conditioned on Karlsson resigning, that's a huge risk to take otherwise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad