Confirmed Trade: [BUF/MIN] Jordan Greenway for 2023 2nd round pick and 2024 5th round pick

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Nice reclamation for sure. It just seems like they overpaid for a guy that needs a reclamation. His production this year does not warrant that return. A 3rd / 5th and I wouldn’t have batted an eye or if a short term cap dump went with him. As it stands, Buff overpaid, but that’s not to say it can’t still be a win for them.
hes a lottery ticket. if he puts it together in buffalo this is a steal. if not oh well. worth the risk imo. i dont think minny gives him up if they didnt put themselves in cap hell.

Reactions: Team Cozens

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Eh, they shot themselves in the foot by signing Greenway to that ridiculous contract.
Hyperbole, much? It’s a 3M / yr contract, not a 9M contract.

Players with Greenway’s combination is strength and size are rare, and before this year he was part of the best defensive line in hockey. 3M for two years is hardly ridiculous for a team like BUF, for whom Greenway fits a clear need. MN has a completely different cap situation, and different needs….they’ve got sound D play, but need offense.

Last edited:

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014

Players with Greenway’s combination is strength and size are rare, and before this year he was part of the best defensive line in hockey. 3M for two years is hardly ridiculous for a team like BUF, for whom Greenway fits a clear need. MN has a completely different cap situation, and different needs….they’ve got sound D play, but need offense.
Without Parise and Suter they would have given him a few years to bounce back.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
We were hearing that from many Wild fans, so clearly something wasn't working.

Buffalo maybe made the trade on the hopes this is an off year, or maybe there's a good reason for the poor play Wild fans saw.
A lot of Wild fans were upset with him and getting emotional about his play during and after games. Emotion+Forum = Hyperbole.

The truth is that he has been disappointing this year, and has had a few games where he's made mistakes or played in a way that an NHL player should not, but if he were in the AHL he'd be one of the better players there. Taking into account everything I've seen from him over the years, I'd say he's an NHL 3rd liner having a bad year (largely due to injury).

Reactions: MakoSlade

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Not really his thing. He’s a happy go lucky type. Sabres just need him to be more serious about his career.

I think the poster knows that but is trying to troll.

we also definitely don't need that. Sabres have plenty of leaders on their team.

Yep, there is certainly a measure of workmanlike seriousness about doing things that permeates all levels of the team, even the younger guys. I'd be more worried that Greenway likes his pizza since Buffalo is a low-key amazing place for 'za. :laugh:

Reactions: truthbluth

218Hockey

Oct 20, 2020
Minnesota
Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. Greenway, rarely uses his size to his advantage. Maybe once every 7-10 games he puts it all together to give you a glimpse of his potential. Then disappears again. While a good skater, Greenway is often outmuscled by smaller players. I have to assume he is a big body, but not physically strong. Think Tom Brady rookie photo with his shirt off. LOL. Also, when I watch him play, (season ticket holder) it looks like his stick is maybe too short. ? I know that is a personal preference thing, but he always looks somewhat awkward handling the puck. Can’t really put my finger on it. Anyway, I have never seen such a large man spend so much time on his rear end.

Then there is the issue of his hands. Or should I say lack there of. Not good for an NHL caliber player. Frequent turnovers, mishandling tape to tape passes, puck getting lost in his skates, etc. Perhaps a stick length issue comes into play here too.

As other have pointed out, his attitude seems the primary concern. In my opinion, he would be just as happpy playing 5 minutes a night the 4th line as he would on the second line playing 20 minutes. As long as he gets his paycheck.

No question he needed a change of scenery. I hope he figures it out in Buffalo. He is still a young player. Maybe the light bulb will come on.

Reactions: DevilDog

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

I mean before he was traded Kunin was also a part of one of the best defensive lines. They overpaid for a guy they knew had issues with fitness and just taking the game seriously. They paid for size and they aren't the first team to do that. Finally even if it wasn't for the cap space they would have traded Greenway. Guerin basically put Greenway on notice a year or so back due to his conditioning and his commitment. Oversleeping and putting his team down a player and just not caring about his diet and his conditioning and his commitment this year sealed Greenway's exit. Notice Guerin didn't say anything about cap space. That was all fan speculation.

I mean fans hated the Foligno contract. Would you be okay giving Duhaime 3 million for 3 years?

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. Greenway, rarely uses his size to his advantage. Maybe once every 7-10 games he puts it all together to give you a glimpse of his potential. Then disappears again. While a good skater, Greenway is often outmuscled by smaller players. I have to assume he is a big body, but not physically strong. Think Tom Brady rookie photo with his shirt off. LOL. Also, when I watch him play, (season ticket holder) it looks like his stick is maybe too short. ? I know that is a personal preference thing, but he always looks somewhat awkward handling the puck. Can’t really put my finger on it. Anyway, I have never seen such a large man spend so much time on his rear end.

Then there is the issue of his hands. Or should I say lack there of. Not good for an NHL caliber player. Frequent turnovers, mishandling tape to tape passes, puck getting lost in his skates, etc. Perhaps a stick length issue comes into play here too.

As other have pointed out, his attitude seems the primary concern. In my opinion, he would be just as happpy playing 5 minutes a night the 4th line as he would on the second line playing 20 minutes. As long as he gets his paycheck.

No question he needed a change of scenery. I hope he figures it out in Buffalo. He is still a young player. Maybe the light bulb will come on.
He can get out skated, but seldom out muscled. He is not Bjugstad. He is unusually strong, but his lack of conditioning ( I think) , let’s him down more than anything else. Hard to get to pucks or be at your best you’re you are gasping for air, and this year, nursing an injury.
greenway, when he’s on, is extraordinarily strong. A real PITA in front of the net, and a disturbance on the forecheck. Also does this sweep check from behind when back checking that would be a penalty if anyone else did it. He is so tall and long that he is able to do it w/o tripping or hooking.

Agree about the deterioration of his puck skills. He used to be ok handling the puck, and a good passer, but he can’t seem to make and receive a pass anymore, let alone carry the puck. Again,I suspect poor conditioning, and maybe technique.If you don’t have your feet under you, then it’s hard to do anything. He’s too young to have lost his legs, so he needs to be getting in the gym and on the ice working on his strength, and especially, flexibility and skills.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
He can get out skated, but seldom out muscled. He is not Bjugstad. He is unusually strong, but his lack of conditioning ( I think) , let’s him down more than anything else. Hard to get to pucks or be at your best you’re you are gasping for air, and this year, nursing an injury.
greenway, when he’s on, is extraordinarily strong. A real PITA in front of the net, and a disturbance on the forecheck. Also does this sweep check from behind when back checking that would be a penalty if anyone else did it. He is so tall and long that he is able to do it w/o tripping or hooking.

Agree about the deterioration of his puck skills. He used to be ok handling the puck, and a good passer, but he can’t seem to make and receive a pass anymore, let alone carry the puck. Again,I suspect poor conditioning, and maybe technique.If you don’t have your feet under you, then it’s hard to do anything. He’s too young to have lost his legs, so he needs to be getting in the gym and on the ice working on his strength, and especially, flexibility and skills.
Could the deterioration of his puck skills be due to his shoulder injury? Seems like the type of injury that could impact that.

218Hockey

Oct 20, 2020
Minnesota

Great point on the potential lack of conditioning. Could be a major contributing factor to all the puck bobbles. More often than not, when the Wild are cycling in the offensive zone, Greenway will be the cause of turnover. Especially this year. Dumbs and Greenway are turnover machines.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I mean fans hated the Foligno contract. Would you be okay giving Duhaime 3 million for 3 years?
Correct me if I'm wrong but Duhaime is a 4th liner. He's never demonstrated the ability to score 30+ points in a season. So he'll be paid accordingly and really has nothing to do with Greenway. If Greenway is overpaid it isn't by very much. 3 million dollars is in line with a good 3rd line player with some desirable traits and potentially some more upside. Minnesota was in a bind and needed to free up some salary so he became expendable.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Could the deterioration of his puck skills be due to his shoulder injury? Seems like the type of injury that could impact that.
He had 3 separate procedures/injuries over the offseason and it seriously hindered his ability to train, apparently the worst in his opinion was an infection from his wisdom teeth getting removed. He came back from the shoulder injury, played like a complete monster for his first two shifts, throwing hits and looking great, but apparently re-injured the shoulder on one of those hits, I don't think he has gotten trust back into that shoulder yet this season. The injury definitely has affected his hands for most of the season, they have never been good, but they were also never close to this bad, and while his shot has also never been good, it is completely ineffective right now, with pee wee level power. An off season where he can actually rehab the shoulder, and do some conditioning training could go a long way, but even when perfectly healthy, he does still have some issues in his game, with decision making and tentativeness.

I think it was definitely a hard year luck wise for him, and I have sympathy for him, but at the end of the day, the Wild need guys who are going to outperform their cap hits during these buyout years, and Greenway just wasn't performing to the minimum level. The conditioning thing was also not just a this year thing, even Boudreau specifically called him out for it after he failed miserably during the pre-season skating tests.

218Hockey

Oct 20, 2020
Minnesota
Correct me if I'm wrong but Duhaime is a 4th liner. He's never demonstrated the ability to score 30+ points in a season. So he'll be paid accordingly and really has nothing to do with Greenway. If Greenway is overpaid it isn't by very much. 3 million dollars is in line with a good 3rd line player with some desirable traits and potentially some more upside. Minnesota was in a bind and needed to free up some salary so he became

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Greenway is extremely lazy and already 26 years old. He won't change his habits and that's why I think it was wise of Guerin to get rid off of him while he still held some value.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
he's actually strong. listening to the slander in this thread makes me wish even harder for great success with Buffalo. Consistent effort will be the thing that sinks him. he's got reach, size, and decent skating so with effort at worst he's a good bottom six checking forward.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
he's actually strong. listening to the slander in this thread makes me wish even harder for great success with Buffalo. Consistent effort will be the thing that sinks him. he's got reach, size, and decent skating so with effort at worst he's a good bottom six checking forward.
I never thought Greenway was a particularly good skater. Kind of out of control on his skates, imho.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I never thought Greenway was a particularly good skater. Kind of out of control on his skates, imho.
i said "decent" as in he can keep up in a game😁. he looks awkward but he's not slow and he doesn't fall any more than anyone else. There's a reason he collects a lot of dump-ins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad