Confirmed Trade: [BUF/MIN] Jordan Greenway for 2023 2nd round pick and 2024 5th round pick

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Greenway is extremely lazy and already 26 years old. He won't change his habits and that's why I think it was wise of Guerin to get rid off of him while he still held some value.
Granato also coached Greenway at NTDP for 2 years so he knows what he's getting

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
i said "decent" as in he can keep up in a game😁. he looks awkward but he's not slow and he doesn't fall any more than anyone else. There's a reason he collects a lot of dump-ins.
I don’t agree that he falls the same as any other player. He falls WAY more. It’s quite common to see him fall while trying to take a corner at high speed, for instance. Far more than most players that I see.

It’s either technique, conditioning, or a combination thereof. He’s got work to do.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I don’t agree that he falls the same as any other player. He falls WAY more. It’s quite common to see him fall while trying to take a corner at high speed, for instance. Far more than most players that I see.

It’s either technique, conditioning, or a combination thereof. He’s got work to do.
i guess i haven't noticed it, and at any rate he's still been very good in his specific role as the chase guy for that line's dump-ins so i can't be much of an issue.

218Hockey

Oct 20, 2020
Minnesota

I agree with 57. It’s shocking how much this big man is always falling down.

• Haha
Reactions: DustyZ

DustyZ

Dec 2, 2022
Always leary when a division leading, or competing for division leading, team feels they need to move on from a player.

Should give Buffalo fans pause

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Always leary when a division leading, or competing for division leading, team feels they need to move on from a player.

Should give Buffalo fans pause

The Sabres picked up a regular in Jost from Minnesota this year off waivers. A lot of things he did in Minnesota he does not do in Buffalo.

Sometimes players need a change of scenery. Sometimes they just need to be a different system.

Reactions: rams and BUCKSHOT

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Sometimes a trade is the kick in the ass someone needs at a point in their career when they need a change in habits. Same with being waived - it's a shock and sometimes it works out. Clearly if Greenway was up to his previous standard, he probably isn't available and the Wild would have looked in another direction to get some cap flexibility to improve their roster. As it stands, he gets a fresh start, Minnesota got futures and the immediate ability to bring in Klingberg. The risk is to Buffalo to see if they can get Greenway back to previous form and to Minnesota to turn the picks into something via the draft. Seems like everyone gets what they wanted.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
The Sabres picked up a regular in Jost from Minnesota this year off waivers. A lot of things he did in Minnesota he does not do in Buffalo.

Sometimes players need a change of scenery. Sometimes they just need to be a different system.
Jost was just a nothing of a player. Not bad, not good...just ineffectual. Greenway is different. He has already shown that he can be a far more effective player in previous years. Has to work on his consistency, and dedication to being a pro. When he's good he sticks out, even though he will never be a big scorer.

I think Jost tried, just didn't have much to offer beyond what many AHL'ers have. if he wasn't a 10 oa pick, i think he would've been out of the league a while ago, or never be given a chance. If he is working out for BUF, that's great. would be interested to hear what exactly he is doing that makes him valuable. Sam Steel is the same player, essentially. Good guy, tries hard, just doesn't do much of anything that makes him valuable.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Jost was just a nothing of a player. Not bad, not good...just ineffectual. Greenway is different. He has already shown that he can be a far more effective player in previous years. Has to work on his consistency, and dedication to being a pro. When he's good he sticks out, even though he will never be a big scorer.

I think Jost tried, just didn't have much to offer beyond what many AHL'ers have. if he wasn't a 10 oa pick, i think he would've been out of the league a while ago, or never be given a chance. If he is working out for BUF, that's great. would be interested to hear what exactly he is doing that makes him valuable. Sam Steel is the same player, essentially. Good guy, tries hard, just doesn't do much of anything that makes him valuable.

Jost has been a high motor, great fundamental player for us. Just plays the game solid and creates space/opportunity with effort. Don’t get me wrong, probably not a long term player for us, BUT has played at about a 10-12 goals, 30-35 point pace for us…which you can do worst for a 4th liner

Reactions: KrakenSabresMike

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I never thought Greenway was a particularly good skater. Kind of out of control on his skates, imho.
He looks like a baby giraffe on skates. It’s not graceful.

I think his biggest problem is conditioning. He tires quickly and it’s noticeable. There’s brief stretches where he looks unstoppable and then it doesn’t emerge again the rest of the game.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
You could draft a Latendresse with that.
Only if you're trading up lol

1678046572685.png

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Jost has been a high motor, great fundamental player for us. Just plays the game solid and creates space/opportunity with effort. Don’t get me wrong, probably not a long term player for us, BUT has played at about a 10-12 goals, 30-35 point pace for us…which you can do worst for a 4th liner
You probably wouldn't mind acquiring any of the Wild forwards in the next few years in that case, that pretty much describes how all of our depth plays. Jost was just the smallest, and slowest of the bunch.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
You probably wouldn't mind acquiring any of the Wild forwards in the next few years in that case, that pretty much describes how all of our depth plays. Jost was just the smallest, and slowest of the bunch.
Well, Dewar and Shaw are smaller. Tougher, though.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
Let Granato work his magic on him. He fixed Mittelstadt, a task seen impossible by many. If Granato can coax the confidence back out of this kid he could be a force.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo

maybe it just wasn’t a good situation for him in minny, lack of chemistry, not being used properly by the coaching staff, etc. i think he’s been a key member of the bottom 6 here in buffalo. and it’s not like we are the abjectly bad team we were in years past. he is making very useful contributions in a checking roll, with pretty good offensive production…

Reactions: KrakenSabresMike

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

@Chainshot has a chart that shows how it went in Minny and how it’s going in Buffalo for Jost.

let’s just say if the same thing happens to Greenway people in Buffalo are going to be pretty damn happy with the trade

Sometimes it’s the system.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Granato also coached Greenway at NTDP for 2 years so he knows what he's getting
I remember this line of thinking when the Pens got Brassard who Sullivan was Assistant Coach to, Big Game Brass as it were. Didn't stop him from misusing him when he turned head coach on the Pens.

Sometimes it works and sometimes it's disastrous is what I'm getting at. I wouldn't bet it is a forgone conclusion he will be used that same way that worked then, now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad