Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] Jack Eichel Extension (8 years AAV $10M)

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
Not even 3 pages in and Leafs fans have already turned it into a Matthews thread.
Matthews is next to get one of these huge deals. All leaf fans were waiting to see what Eichel got so we can guess at what Matthews will get.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I also think McDavid makes a **** ton of money, too. This all started with those Toews and Kane contracts a couple years back, but this is just what's going to happen from now on.

Toews and Kane won 3 cups before they got their payday.. they proved their worth by being studs in the playoffs. What has Eichel proven? McDavid is McDavid, when you watch him play you can obviously tell he's a top 2 forward in the league.

Yes you can tell Eichel is a good player as well but you can't see a clear separation between him and a lot of other good forwards in the league.

Reactions: goldenbladz1

Empoleon877130

Sep 27, 2017
Toews and Kane won 3 cups before they got their payday.. they proved their worth by being studs in the playoffs. What has Eichel proven?

My point was that Toews and Kane shot up the values of contracts when they took $10.5 million each. I feel like for before that, Ovechkin's contract was really the peak for every player, that was still true for right after the lockout when you couldn't have those backdiving contracts anymore. But then Toews and Kane got their deals, then other top end players like Kopitar and Benn started hitting $9.5 million or $10 million and then McDavid blew them all away at $12.5 million.

Nope. That is the cost of not having the ability to circumvent the cap like the Crosby contract.

Crosby didn't have a circumnavigating contract, though. He had a backdiving contract, but he's still making $3 million a year in his last 3 years of his contract. It's not like Zetterberg, who's signed until 2050 while making $2 a year.

mcdavid makes what he's worth no?

I don't think McDavid is overpaid, but McDavid certainly didn't give Edmonton a hometown discount when he signed. Like I'm comparing him to what guys like Benn and Malkin make, who are guys who did take less to stay with their current teams IMO. Same thing Toews and Kane did, they got Chicago their cups, so in return Chicago gave them their money.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Toews and Kane won 3 cups before they got their payday.. they proved their worth by being studs in the playoffs. What has Eichel proven?

Yet there isn't a single person that would take Toews or even Kane and there contracts over Eichel. It's actually pretty dumb to give huge term and dollars to players approaching 30. Eichel at 10 million is probably fair value for what they are going to get

edit - Aladyn is bang on

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
Makes Draisaitl's contract look like a steal... Guess their hands were tied given how over hyped this player is.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If you Adjust toews/Kane RFA deals today's cap/dollar it would be worth about 8.5ish million if they signed it in 2027, so they hardly gave their team a huge deal

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
ITT: people not understanding that signing a contract based on what a player is going to be is much better than paying him based on what he used to be

Hope he lives up to your expectations. Seems rather pricey, especially considering all the RFA years the contract covers.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
That's what franchise players are going to get now. Congrats on getting paid Jack. I bet it was a tough negotiation - I hear that GM is a hard ass.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Yet there isn't a single person that would take Toews or even Kane and there contracts over Eichel. It's actually pretty dumb to give huge term and dollars to players approaching 30. Eichel at 10 million is probably fair value for what they are going to get

edit - Aladyn is bang on

I feel like NA players tend to get overpaid compared to Europeans (minus Kopitar, he's a special case). Is there that big of a difference between Draisaitl and Eichel? Is Kucherov (who in my eyes is a top 5 forward in the league) going to get paid over 11M when he becomes a UFA? Highly doubtful.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Makes Draisaitl's contract look like a steal... Guess their hands were tied given how over hyped this player is.

Eichel isn’t overhyped. In fact I’d say he’s underhyped because he’s on a bad team. If he’s healthy, he’s going to put up 80+ points.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
I don't think you can say that for a franchise player, 10.25 million instead of 9 million is somehow a devastating overpayment.

A difference of 1.25 million a year isn't really worth risking a guy they hope will be a top 5 center in the league. Sabres think they have a HOF level center, so it doesn't surprise me that they're paying him. Most of his prime years are in this contract.

1.25 million is like barely a replacement level forward. It's not like they paid him 12 or something, the deal is good - not great, you maybe would like to see a little more, but why quibble over a mil a year? You get an Eichel, you're damn right you pay him.

Naturally this looks a lot better if the Sabres can get out from under the Bogosian and Moulson deals.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
My point was that Toews and Kane shot up the values of contracts when they took $10.5 million each. I feel like for before that, Ovechkin's contract was really the peak for every player, that was still true for right after the lockout when you couldn't have those backdiving contracts anymore. But then Toews and Kane got their deals, then other top end players like Kopitar and Benn started hitting $9.5 million or $10 million and then McDavid blew them all away at $12.5 million.

Crosby didn't have a circumnavigating contract, though. He had a backdiving contract, but he's still making $3 million a year in his last 3 years of his contract. It's not like Zetterberg, who's signed until 2050 while making $2 a year.

I don't think McDavid is overpaid, but McDavid certainly didn't give Edmonton a hometown discount when he signed. Like I'm comparing him to what guys like Benn and Malkin make, who are guys who did take less to stay with their current teams IMO. Same thing Toews and Kane did, they got Chicago their cups, so in return Chicago gave them their money.

Not for nothing, but you do realize that Crosby and Malkin got deals worth more of the cap at the same age as Eichel. The actual dollars are irrelevant.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I feel like NA players tend to get overpaid compared to europeans (minus Kopitar, he's a special case). Is there that big of a difference between Draisaitl and Eichel? Is Kucherov (who in my eyes is a top 5 forward in the league) going to get paid over 11M when he becomes a UFA? Highly doubtful.
Yes, Kucherov will gets tons and tons of money when his contract is up. And yes, there is that big of a difference between Drai and Eichel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad