Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] Jack Eichel Extension (8 years AAV $10M)

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Why does it matter? Matthews was going to get $10M+ I think no matter what.

Yep. Unless Matthews wants to help the Leafs out like Tavares helped the Islanders out, I don’t think Matthews signs for less than 10M anyways.

Plus, Islanders were a budget team at the time IIRC, and the Leafs aren’t so no reason for a discount on a big contract.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I don’t think Eichel is going to be a comparable for Matthews to be honest. His contract won’t really have an affect on Matthews.

It could be more, could be less. Leafs were trying to get creative trying to sign Stamkos, hope they can be creative trying to sign Matthews.

I believe Matthews will come somewhere between Eichel and McDavid. ~11M over 8 years. Only cheap contract Leafs will get is perhaps Marner. Nylander seems poised to get over 7.5-8 as well.

Good for Buffalo to lock up their superstar. He’s vital to their success. If he’s not happy, then the Sabres are screwed.

So Matthews is coming in between Eichel and McDavid but Eichel's contract won't have any effect on Matthews' contract? That makes zero sense.

Even in a somewhat sensible post you are going out of your way to be passive aggressive towards Eichel.

Empoleon877130

Sep 27, 2017
Holy hell, that's a lot of money for Eichel if it's actually $10 million a year. These young up and coming teams are backing themselves into corners really quickly with huge contracts, I don't really get it. I guess that's just the cost of having elite young talent today.

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
Holy hell, that's a lot of money for Eichel if it's actually $10 million a year. These young up and coming teams are backing themselves into corners really quickly with huge contracts, I don't really get it. I guess that's just the cost of having elite young talent today.

he's a slight notch below McDavid, I don't see how it's a bad deal

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
Not even 3 pages in and Leafs fans have already turned it into a Matthews thread.

lol better get used to it . The media is already hyping them up to win the cup this year and its only going to get worst . Everywhere you look will be Matthews > McDavid in a couple years and Leafs will win 5 to 8 cups in the next 10 years .

Empoleon877130

Sep 27, 2017
he's a slight notch below McDavid, I don't see how it's a bad deal

I also think McDavid makes a **** ton of money, too. This all started with those Toews and Kane contracts a couple years back, but this is just what's going to happen from now on.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I also think McDavid makes a **** ton of money, too. This all started with those Toews and Kane contracts a couple years back, but this is just what's going to happen from now on.

The Toews and Kane contracts weren't their second ones though. Covered a lot more UFA years. I am surprised how quickly RFA years have gone up in value lately.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Teams will have to start paying support talent less.

The days of paying depth/support players 3/5 million a year are coming to an end

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

Yeah, its too bad we can't all lock in our stars on contracts that are blatantly circumventing the cap like the penguins.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I don't think you can say that for a franchise player, 10.25 million instead of 9 million is somehow a devastating overpayment.

A difference of 1.25 million a year isn't really worth risking a guy they hope will be a top 5 center in the league. Sabres think they have a HOF level center, so it doesn't surprise me that they're paying him. Most of his prime years are in this contract.

Reactions: flamesforcup

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
So Matthews is coming in between Eichel and McDavid but Eichel's contract won't have any effect on Matthews' contract? That makes zero sense.

Even in a somewhat sensible post you are going out of your way to be passive aggressive towards Eichel.

Eichel’s contract is likely the lower bound of Matthews’ contract, so I guess it does have some impact.

Still hope there is a way the Leafs can get Matthews for around ~9M over 6 years instead of going the full 8. Gives him another big contract and UFA status earlier. Helps the Leafs out while their window is wide open and then cashes in again.

Where was the passive aggressiveness in that post? Eichel was frustrated at the end of the season at the direction of the Sabres. He’s a big reason why the GM and the coach were replaced. You need to keep him happy, best way to do that is give him a contract that makes sense over the long term. He is the franchise.

Is Eichel a 10M player next season? I doubt it but over the long term he will more than earn that $. Five years into the deal, it may even look like a steal.

Empoleon877130

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah, its too bad we can't all lock in our stars on contracts that are blatantly circumventing the cap like the penguins.

Malkin's and Letang's contracts aren't circumnavigating the cap, they signed after the lockout in 2013. They both signed 8 year deals at constant AAVs. Crosby's contract isn't cap circumnavigation either, it is a backdiving contract but he's still making $3 million a season in each of his last 3 years. His contract doesn't have phantom years that he was never going to play in to lower his AAV.

Teams will have to start paying support talent less.

The days of paying depth/support players 3/5 million a year are coming to an end

I don't think those days are coming to an end, it's just that teams with elite talent won't be able to do that. Teams that have elite players either already locked up or making less than Eichel or McDavid (so guys like Schiefele) will be able to still maintain expensive and good depth.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Nope. That is the cost of not having the ability to circumvent the cap like the Crosby contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad