Proposal: Buf-Col

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
You know Hal is a UFA too right?

yeah I also know hall brings an entirely different skill set than Calvert. You can find Calvert types everywhere. A first for hall as a rental isn’t that bad, especially when it’s projected to be near the end of the first.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
yeah I also know hall brings an entirely different skill set than Calvert. You can find Calvert types everywhere. A first for hall as a rental isn’t that bad, especially when it’s projected to be near the end of the first.
Is scoring an issue for the Avs?

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
To Buffalo
1st round pick
Matt Calvert

To Colorado
Taylor Hall (50 percent salary)

give me an actual prospect and a 2nd plus the cap dump and that would be fine. In fact, I’d take a future draft pick.

Buffalo gets a first round pick and a pending ufa cap dump and Colorado gets a winger they chased in the off season.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Avalanche are fixed well for scoring wingers with Landeskog, Rantanen, Saad, Barkovsky and Donskoi, Absolutely not worth jacking with the top line’s chemistry, Calvert is a pending UFA so not any gain as a cap dump versus the unlikely event he can contribute in the playoffs and the Avalanche’s deadline trade ammunition is needed for backup goalie, bottom 6 and depth D.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
All of our top 6 and part of our 3rd line is performing better than Hall this season. I know, Buffalo vs. Colorado. But I'm not in any big rush to make this kind of trade to address issues we don't really have.

I guess he could bump Burakovsky, but then what do you do with Burakovsky? He isn't a 3rd line type of player.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
All of our top 6 and part of our 3rd line is performing better than Hall this season. I know, Buffalo vs. Colorado. But I'm not in any big rush to make this kind of trade to address issues we don't really have.

I guess he could bump Burakovsky, but then what do you do with Burakovsky? He isn't a 3rd line type of player.

Depends on if you go for a third scoring line or have it be a checking line.

I still can’t believe the Avs managed to pry him away from the Caps.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
That would be a easy no for buffalo

But what about JTC and a 1st for Hall?

That’s a deal I’d do as an Avs fan. Buffalo gets a cost controlled bottom six RW. And a low first round pick. Avs get some cap relief next year and a top six forward for this playoff run.

Landy-Mack-Rants
Hall-Kadri-Burakovsky
Saad-Jost-Donskoi
Nuke-PEB-Cavert

13th one of O’Conner/Kaut/O’Brien

thats a nasty set of forwards to contend with. Saad and Donny will destroy some bottom six lines of various opponents. That 4th line would also be the best 4th line in the league.

Mackinn on your girl

Jan 10, 2020

That’s a deal I’d do as an Avs fan. Buffalo gets a cost controlled bottom six RW. And a low first round pick. Avs get some cap relief next year and a top six forward for this playoff run.

Landy-Mack-Rants
Hall-Kadri-Burakovsky
Saad-Jost-Donskoi
Nuke-PEB-Cavert

thats a nasty set of forwards to contend with. Saad and Donny will destroy some bottom six lines of various opponents. That 4th line would also be the best 4th line in the league.
I would do this as well. Just posted the same proposition on the Avs board an hour ago

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
As an Avs fan I’d do a 1st + Compher for Hall. I’d hate to tinker with the current lineup but at some point injuries will happen and when a Burakovsky or a Saad or a Donskoi go down it would be awfully nice knowing the team acquired Taylor Hall.

Compher likely has negative value so it’s a creative way for Buffalo to get a 1st which they likely couldn’t get for Hall from anyone else and Colorado also gets out of the last two years of the Compher deal who ideally when the Avs are fully healthy is their 13th forward anyway.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
As an Avs fan I’d do a 1st + Compher for Hall. I’d hate to tinker with the current lineup but at some point injuries will happen and when a Burakovsky or a Saad or a Donskoi go down it would be awfully nice knowing the team acquired Taylor Hall.

Compher likely has negative value so it’s a creative way for Buffalo to get a 1st which they likely couldn’t get for Hall from anyone else and Colorado also gets out of the last two years of the Compher deal who ideally when the Avs are fully healthy is their 13th forward anyway.

Last two years of JTCs deal. it’s a pipe dream Seattle takes this guy. We’ll lose Graves to them. So this frees up the cap space two years early in a dead cap era.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Last two years of JTCs deal. it’s a pipe dream Seattle takes this guy. We’ll lose Graves to them. So this frees up the cap space two years early in a dead cap era.
Yeah it would be great. Compher and a 1st for Hall is an obvious upgrade for this year. Then if Graves does indeed go to Columbus that’s 6.67M off the books. Both are useful NHL players too so it works for both Buffalo and Seattle. Just that with their cap hits and the Avs depth there’s no need to be paying those kind of dollars.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Depends on if you go for a third scoring line or have it be a checking line.

I still can’t believe the Avs managed to pry him away from the Caps.

Burakovsky on our 3rd line would be forced. Like Hall, he’s a guy you want to lean into his strengths and feed as much o zone time as possible. It’s a lot less fun watching him in the D zone.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Burakovsky on our 3rd line would be forced. Like Hall, he’s a guy you want to lean into his strengths and feed as much o zone time as possible. It’s a lot less fun watching him in the D zone.

It’s not really fun watching Hall cosplaying as an Ice Girl while in the offensive zone :laugh:

He makes Hartnell look strong on his skates.

Reactions: tucker3434

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Yeah it would be great. Compher and a 1st for Hall is an obvious upgrade for this year. Then if Graves does indeed go to Columbus that’s 6.67M off the books. Both are useful NHL players too so it works for both Buffalo and Seattle. Just that with their cap hits and the Avs depth there’s no need to be paying those kind of dollars.
Ryan Graves at $3.17mm is a slick contract and valuable for a guy that is a high end 3rd pair with real good PK ability and room for growth in his game. Graves is a guy that hasn’t found his ceiling. He’s a good player. I’d be happier if Seattle took someone else like Donskoi.

But JTC is not a good fit for the Avs roster. I don’t like that deal at $3.5mm for two more years. It’s not negative value but it’s not much positive value either.

so moving him off our books is a win. I’d drop a 1st in 2021 for that and getting a Hall rental.

esp if it freed up enough cap space to get more term on Makar with a lower AAV.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Note to other GMs if the caller ID says Joe Sakic, don’t answer.
Rumor has it Joe made arrangements with his phone provider to have “Baskin-Robbins” pop up every time he makes an outgoing call. Other GM’s can’t resist and before they realize what happened they’ve already agreed to a trade.

Mooserton

Oct 4, 2013
Colorado
Rumor has it Joe made arrangements with his phone provider to have “Baskin-Robbins” pop up every time he makes an outgoing call. Other GM’s can’t resist and before they realize what happened they’ve already agreed to a trade.
I heard something similar but instead it reads Peter Chiarelli.

Reactions: Nihiliste

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

Landy-Mack-Rants
Hall-Kadri-Burakovsky
Saad-Jost-Donskoi
Nuke-PEB-Cavert

No brainer for both teams

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

In this draft, I'm not really sure how much more good a 1st does than a 2nd. (A) It looks like a pretty awful draft, and (B) it's impossible to really scout it. Keep your cap dump, give me a pick in 2022 (or a prospect), and we're good.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
In this draft, I'm not really sure how much more good a 1st does than a 2nd. (A) It looks like a pretty awful draft, and (B) it's impossible to really scout it. Keep your cap dump, give me a pick in 2022 (or a prospect), and we're good.
I think you’re missing the purpose of this from the Avs point of view. It’s to get rid of that cap dump. If the Sabres just want to trade Hall for futures without maximizing value they’re better off sending him to another team that actually needs him for a 2nd rounder straight up. My suggestion was Buffalo taking on a cap dump in Compher might get them a higher pick which is what they should focus on. Having somebody like Compher on their books for 2 years isn’t a big deal since they obviously aren’t focused on competing in those two years. They should be focusing on getting the best assets possible.

If it’s Hall straight up for a pick, Colorado isn’t outbidding another team because they just don’t need Hall. If it’s Compher and a pick for Hall, the Avs would likely be willing to outbid other teams on the puck they’re giving up to open up some cap flexibility next year.

It’s always smart for rebuilding teams to take on some short term salary when needed to maximize the value of their futures which is the focal point of their rebuild.

Reactions: Gabe MacAntanen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad