Proposal: Buf-Col

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I think you’re missing the purpose of this from the Avs point of view. It’s to get rid of that cap dump. If the Sabres just want to trade Hall for futures without maximizing value they’re better off sending him to another team that actually needs him for a 2nd rounder straight up. My suggestion was Buffalo taking on a cap dump in Compher might get them a higher pick which is what they should focus on. Having somebody like Compher on their books for 2 years isn’t a big deal since they obviously aren’t focused on competing in those two years. They should be focusing on getting the best assets possible.

If it’s Hall straight up for a pick, Colorado isn’t outbidding another team because they just don’t need Hall. If it’s Compher and a pick for Hall, the Avs would likely be willing to outbid other teams on the puck they’re giving up to open up some cap flexibility next year.

It’s always smart for rebuilding teams to take on some short term salary when needed to maximize the value of their futures which is the focal point of their rebuild.

We are trying to compete, and we're honestly not far off doing that with competent goaltending. The Sabres are a ~.500 team when Ullmark plays, and that's even with Eichel, McCabe, and Cozens out.

Also, we have to sign Reinhart and Dahlin, and we have enough of our own bad contracts already. So, again, keep your cap dump.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
We are trying to compete, and we're honestly not far off doing that with competent goaltending. The Sabres are a ~.500 team when Ullmark plays, and that's even with Eichel, McCabe, and Cozens out.

Also, we have to sign Reinhart and Dahlin, and we have enough of our own bad contracts already. So, again, keep your cap dump.
I sincerely hope your GM doesn’t feel the same way.

And that’s not me being offended by you not liking my offer. Compher isn’t very good. If you don’t like the trade that’s fine. But to think you’re not far off competing and competent goaltending is the difference is something else. I’ve seen fans overvalue their favorite teams plenty but my god. The Sabres haven’t made the playoffs in 10 years and this is the worst of those 10 years. Not just from a points perspective, but they’re analytically dreadful too.

To think 3.5M might affect your competing chances in the next 2 years as opposed to using that to maximize futures return is something.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

BUF is terrible on and off the ice. Ullmark pending UFA needs to be either extended or moved. Don’t expect more than a 2nd with the XDraft. Offer for Compher + 1st is not terrible for a rebuild. To consider BUF competitive is ridiculous.

Reactions: Rob Avs33

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
BUF is terrible on and off the ice. Ullmark pending UFA needs to be either extended or moved. Don’t expect more than a 2nd with the XDraft. Offer for Compher + 1st is not terrible for a rebuild. To consider BUF competitive is ridiculous.

Cool opinion. Now look at the team's record with Ullmark and tell me how it lines up with reality. This team could absolutely contend for the playoffs if we got Ullmark-caliber goaltending for the entire season, had Eichel healthy, and made a few other moves*/got good development from kids like Cozens, Dahlin, etc.

*None of which are adding more shitty long-term contracts

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Cool opinion. Now look at the team's record with Ullmark and tell me how it lines up with reality. This team could absolutely contend for the playoffs if we got Ullmark-caliber goaltending for the entire season, had Eichel healthy, and made a few other moves*/got good development from kids like Cozens, Dahlin, etc.

That's a lot of "if"s

Reactions: Patagonia

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
In this draft, I'm not really sure how much more good a 1st does than a 2nd. (A) It looks like a pretty awful draft, and (B) it's impossible to really scout it. Keep your cap dump, give me a pick in 2022 (or a prospect), and we're good.
Ok. Taylor Hall for a 2022 2nd. I could see teams offering that. Avs don’t have a 2022 2nd. We spent that wisely on Devon Toews.

Reactions: SnowStorm

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
That's a lot of "if"s

2 of those "ifs" are just players not being injured. It's not a lot to ask. We have the 2 hardest pieces to get in hockey --- a franchise center and a (budding) franchise defenseman. Our recent GMs and coaches have been so incompetent that they've managed to make it look like it's difficult to build around/win with that talent, but it really shouldn't be.

Ok. Taylor Hall for a 2022 2nd. I could see teams offering that. Avs don’t have a 2022 2nd. We spent that wisely on Devon Toews.

Yup, that'd work for me.

Reactions: is the answer jesus

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
The Avs. are in a win now mode and time is not stopping and their core not younger.
They should spend a 1st, Compher and even a solid prospect and/or pick to get him if he re-signs at a favorable deal for them.

Yes Hall has been bad in Buffalo,, but everyone has there.
If they can add him plus a 3-4 year extension on a cheaper contract than he has now, it gives them more firepower.
Sure, they would have to sort out some cap issues later on, but better to have a luxury problem and the better player than not.
Most likely they will be losing Saad in the offseason, so acquiring Hall would be a solid move.

Their big issue is Makar and Grubauer recquire new deals, and that E. Johnson contract..

People complained about Coleman and Goodrow costing Tampa, well they won the cup and Coleman scored an important goal in the final game of the season.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
2 of those "ifs" are just players not being injured. It's not a lot to ask. We have the 2 hardest pieces to get in hockey --- a franchise center and a (budding) franchise defenseman. Our recent GMs and coaches have been so incompetent that they've managed to make it look like it's difficult to build around/win with that talent, but it really shouldn't be.

Yup, that'd work for me.

Hall for a 2nd is reasonable, just not certain on the which line? AVs top 6 is fairly solid. Useless on the 3rd or 4th lines. Pick would be near the bottom of the round and easily beaten by another team offering a pick in the same round.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Hall for a 2nd is reasonable, just not certain on the which line? AVs top 6 is fairly solid. Useless on the 3rd or 4th lines. Pick would be near the bottom of the round and easily beaten by another team offering a pick in the same round.

Honestly, dumping Hall is addition by subtraction with how he's playing right now. Very possible that going to a contender reinvigorates him, but he's playing very lazy, mistake-laden hockey in Buffalo. I'd pretty much take whatever for him and wash my hands of that signing.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Honestly, dumping Hall is addition by subtraction with how he's playing right now. Very possible that going to a contender reinvigorates him, but he's playing very lazy, mistake-laden hockey in Buffalo. I'd pretty much take whatever for him and wash my hands of that signing.

Hall chased the $$$ and few contenders would add unless includes retention to increase the value.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

I would add in a normal season too. Even if everything went perfectly, Buffalo would at best be in a similar position as the Rangers and Philly. That division is just brutal.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Frank Seravalli said last night that he has his eye on three teams to get Hall.

Islanders
Bruins
Avs

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
As an unbiased fan, I think the OP did a good job here.
Don’t let Avs fans tell you otherwise.

A 1st pick is 27-31 and Hall's possession numbers suggest not as bad as people saying. Horrible team, sad sack coaching and AHL level goalies most of year. Geezus, ECHL goalies.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
A 1st pick is 27-31 and Hall's possession numbers suggest not as bad as people saying. Horrible team, sad sack coaching and AHL level goalies most of year. Geezus, ECHL goalies.

AVs are the top team in the league, highest scoring and 2nd defensively (without a backup). Still room for improvement with needs for a 3C and G. Hall is a luxury, but not a need. So unless a deal includes a cap dump ie. Compher or inclusion of backup pending UFA Ullmark, doubtful a deal can be made for Hall.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
But what about JTC and a 1st for Hall?

That’s a deal I’d do as an Avs fan. Buffalo gets a cost controlled bottom six RW. And a low first round pick. Avs get some cap relief next year and a top six forward for this playoff run.

Landy-Mack-Rants
Hall-Kadri-Burakovsky
Saad-Jost-Donskoi
Nuke-PEB-Cavert

13th one of O’Conner/Kaut/O’Brien

thats a nasty set of forwards to contend with. Saad and Donny will destroy some bottom six lines of various opponents. That 4th line would also be the best 4th line in the league.

I'd rather just buy out JTC. The first should be used to address our defense.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
In this draft, I'm not really sure how much more good a 1st does than a 2nd. (A) It looks like a pretty awful draft, and (B) it's impossible to really scout it. Keep your cap dump, give me a pick in 2022 (or a prospect), and we're good.

I'd argue late firsts and 2nds this year are actually pretty valuable. Poor scouting so you wanna get some more picks if possible and just take lots of shots. It's the top picks this year that look iffy.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I'd argue late firsts and 2nds this year are actually pretty valuable. Poor scouting so you wanna get some more picks if possible and just take lots of shots. It's the top picks this year that look iffy.

This draft has so many unknowns, but there are still potentially good players. Sakic could trade for more 2nds and 3rds, it'll be better than having the 1st.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
This draft has so many unknowns, but there are still potentially good players. Sakic could trade for more 2nds and 3rds, it'll be better than having the 1st.

Not really.

I am very reluctant to give up our 1st this season. Especially for marginal depth upgrades. Think that would be a very dumb idea.

IMO this is the year to pick in the late 20s-30s. Teams usually know the general talent level of the top end prospect. They just have no idea how to rank them this year. Avs aren't going to have the chance to get a prospect potentially as good as this in probably a few years.
With the right scouting you can get yourself a top10 talent...

Reactions: katfude

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad