Proposal: BUF - CAL

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
During the intermission yesterday on TV, Friedman said that he wonders about Sam Reinhart in Buffalo. Said other teams are impressed by how he's looked/held up in the Buffalo season and that he thinks there is a lot of interest around him. Said we'd "like to keep him" but contract could be an issue.
He also was asked about guys Buffalo is considering "untouchable", and he said only Dahlin.
Marek commented that it was interesting Eichel wasn't mentioned.

member 329811

I wouldn't touch any trades on this roster until a decision is made on who the next coach is going to be.... assessing any talent on this club is an impossibility due to complete incompetence at every level of management. If the Pegula family makes, for once, a smart choice in hiring (and paying the price) for one of the top coaches riding the bench right now, then we might see what some guys on this roster are capable of.

Like the other thread asking if Dahlin has peaked.... it's absurd to ask considering the state of the franchise. However, if Pegulaville decides to continue to be a clown show with the next 'effing rebuild then trade everyone for a demolition crew to tear it all down.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I do it.

Buffalo should hold onto Dahlin. Look at Hanifin, everyone wanted to trade him for a ham sandwhich this off-season and now he looks like our most valuable asset. D take time.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Neither team should make this trade imo....I agree with poster get the right coach for example Torts if he's available I think would get this team to play up to it's potential....

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
During the intermission yesterday on TV, Friedman said that he wonders about Sam Reinhart in Buffalo. Said other teams are impressed by how he's looked/held up in the Buffalo season and that he thinks there is a lot of interest around him. Said we'd "like to keep him" but contract could be an issue.
He also was asked about guys Buffalo is considering "untouchable", and he said only Dahlin.
Marek commented that it was interesting Eichel wasn't mentioned.

I really don't understand why Reinhart WOULDN'T be traded. You are selling two playoffs with this guy or the acquiring team can flip him again to recoup assets. He stays with Sabres, he better be signed. The value being tossed is a playoff appearance this year.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I do it.

Buffalo should hold onto Dahlin. Look at Hanifin, everyone wanted to trade him for a ham sandwhich this off-season and now he looks like our most valuable asset. D take time.

Really young D playing NHL minutes will go through their struggles and have up and down seasons until they’re like 24/25.

Dahlin will be one of the best defence men in the league in short order, Buffalo should start a complete tear down with him as the key member.

As a Flames fan I do this trade in a heartbeat, which means Buffalo shouldn’t touch it.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Really young D playing NHL minutes will go through their struggles and have up and down seasons until they’re like 24/25.

Dahlin will be one of the best defence men in the league in short order, Buffalo should start a complete tear down with him as the key member.

As a Flames fan I do this trade in a heartbeat, which means Buffalo shouldn’t touch it.

Dahlin is in his 3rd season already, and is making the same mistakes he did back in World Juniors. The guy is not getting better. It's also not some coaching system or play design he is messing up. It's basic principles. I just don't think he will ever be able to defend in this league. He will need to put up Karlsson numbers with his inability to defend, and I also don't think he has that capability.

I would rather strike while his value is still high and people can pin the Sabres coaching changes on Dahlin's struggles.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Dahlin is in his 3rd season already, and is making the same mistakes he did back in World Juniors. The guy is not getting better. It's also not some coaching system or play design he is messing up. It's basic principles. I just don't think he will ever be able to defend in this league. He will need to put up Karlsson numbers with his inability to defend, and I also don't think he has that capability.

I would rather strike while his value is still high and people can pin the Sabres coaching changes on Dahlin's struggles.

He just finished being the second highest scoring teenage defenseman in league history while playing competent defense. He's having a few issues in this pathetic shortened season.

This is a horrible take.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
He just finished being the second highest scoring teenage defenseman in league history while playing competent defense. He's having a few issues in this pathetic shortened season.

This is a horrible take.

Don't really care about the age of the player. It's really just what player gets a chance earlier than the other player. Like what if Hughes didn't go to college for a year? Or Makar?

He's having MEGA issues this year. He is a MINUS 32 in 32 games. The dude is projecting to be a -82 in a full season. He is a trainwreck trying to defend.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Don't really care about the age of the player. It's really just what player gets a chance earlier than the other player. Like what if Hughes didn't go to college for a year? Or Makar?

He's having MEGA issues this year. He is a MINUS 32 in 32 games. The dude is projecting to be a -82 in a full season. He is a trainwreck trying to defend.

Actually, it means quite a lot, as he was deemed good enough to play at that age. He also had a very good rookie season proving he belonged, at 18.

And you used +/- on a team that can't score at 5 on 5. He's having an off year, but there are serious extenuating circumstances. You don't give up on a 20 year old defenseman of his potential for that. You just don't.

And I'll leave it at that.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Yup.
We'd lose a good defender for nothing if we did this, to keep someone like Bennett.

The can protect hanifin, Andersson and Dahlin

they may lose Tanev but considering age it’s probably ok. They can try another FA

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

He's 20 years old.....

I would trade Tkachuk for Dahlin in a heartbeat. They are different tiers of players. Love Tkachuk, but Dahlin is a low side top pairing d-man, and a high side franchise #1 hall of famer.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Tkachuk hasnt really set the world on fire either this year.
I take Dahlin over Tkachuk without thinking about it.
A winger for what could be a franchise D?
I would think that the Flames would jump all over this in a second if that offer was there.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Flames do the OP without hesitation but it probably isn't enough for the Sabres

Tkachuk, Hanfin, unprotected 1st
For
Dahlin + Reinhart

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I think Tkachuk is great but it's a suicide trade by Buffalo. It would leave us with terrible defense, best move would be to add veteran dmen to help mentor Dahlin...

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

I don't see how a complete tear down helps Buffalo at all.

They recently drafted a franchise center and defenseman. They have several high pedigree prospects playing with the team currently. They acquired a high end winger in Hall this year, and none of it means anything.

I don't see how trading everyone then looking to draft another Eichel/Reinhart helps at all. The issues obviously run deeper than the players on the ice imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad