Bud Holloway (Sent Down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
How do you even know that? Are you really basing on the 7 minutes he played with the Habs? :laugh:

Keep laughing big guy because Therien obviously sees ZERO in Bud to keep him up. Much ado about nothing. That's what bud is. He's an AHL player that's gotten too much love on here. If any other team woulda signed him not one person would be clambering for Bergevin to trade for him. He's a career minor leaguer and the Habs brass agrees

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
How can anyone evaluate how a guy will do based on his first NHL game where he gets 7 minutes of ice time. He may or may not have the tools required but I would guess that in his first game Holloway was likely nervous and didn't want to make any mistakes that would cost the team. Not trying to say he should have been given a better shot because he was given a chance.

More importantly the coach and management got a chance to see him first hand, how he interacts with teammates and how he performs on the ice. They can now decide if he is a depth player they can count on in an emergency. It was nice to see that he piled up a couple of points against the Marlies today.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
Keep laughing big guy because Therien obviously sees ZERO in Bud to keep him up. Much ado about nothing. That's what bud is. He's an AHL player that's gotten too much love on here. If any other team woulda signed him not one person would be clambering for Bergevin to trade for him. He's a career minor leaguer and the Habs brass agrees

I'm glad you have so much insight. :shakehead

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
I'm glad you have so much insight. :shakehead

What insight is needed? He's not in the plans. The brass thinks that much as well. 7 mins is all Therien needed to see. He's a terrific ahl player and that's all he will be. Did this love affair happen when the Habs signed Martin St Pierre? Similar ahl stats yet no one said anything about him.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
What insight is needed? He's not in the plans. The brass thinks that much as well. 7 mins is all Therien needed to see. He's a terrific ahl player and that's all he will be. Did this love affair happen when the Habs signed Martin St Pierre? Similar ahl stats yet no one said anything about him.

Ridiculous.:shakehead I wish I could judge players so quickly from half a dozen minutes. PK gets more PP time in a single game then this kid got in the NHL.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Ridiculous.:shakehead I wish I could judge players so quickly from half a dozen minutes. PK gets more PP time in a single game then this kid got in the NHL.

But the coach doesn't want him so he's obviously judged by Therien. Obviously you think your smarter than the coach and bud deserves a chance. But according to the Habs real coach , he's not in their plans. It's pretty obvious

CHFOREVER

Nov 29, 2015
California
Bud problem is skating and his bad luck he is playing for real speedy team, in today's NHL if you skating is just average is hard to survive in long term, unless you play it smart.

It is kind of sucks for guy, i was expecting to see more of him, at least with some quality players, base on one game, it was hard to judge the guy, specially playing with 4th liners

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
How do you stick around with not a lot of icetime? You do like Thomas...he didn't play much...but was so much more visible than Bud.

To be fair, the game wasn't quite as important for Thomas as it was for Holloway.

Thomas has some NHL games under his belt, the jitters out of the way a bit.

Not making an excuse for Holloway, just saying that it's normal and next time he'll have to be more visible to stick.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
To be fair, the game wasn't quite as important for Thomas as it was for Holloway.

Thomas has some NHL games under his belt, the jitters out of the way a bit.

Not making an excuse for Holloway, just saying that it's normal and next time he'll have to be more visible to stick.

But to also be fair, we cannot compare a 1st game 20 year old to a 1st game 27 year old. Again, wasn't counting on him to finish with 4 goals....but just more visible.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
But to also be fair, we cannot compare a 1st game 20 year old to a 1st game 27 year old. Again, wasn't counting on him to finish with 4 goals....but just more visible.

Agreed. I think with a young guy like Thomas you can ignore his first stretch of games, if not a few more than that.

With a guy like Holloway you may give him a game or two before you kind of expect some results. Not necessarily points but being more dangerous would be a start.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

With only 7 minutes, a lot of players might not look visible. So unfair to extrapolate anything from so little.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012

Again.. what's so obvious? How do you know this? Is Therrien speaking directly to you? Stop making your opinion sounds like fact.

Maybe Therrien is just auditioning the RW in Hamilton. I think it's kinda a stupid the way he does it by playing an offensive player, in a 4th line role with 2 min per period which translate to about 3 shifts per period. We all know Bud is not a superstar in the making, obviously he's has flaws in his game, so expecting him to prove or show anything with 150 seconds of ice-time per period is kinda ridiculous.

You know, DD played his first NHL game 6 years ago. He also played in the 7 minutes in that first and didn't play an NHL games in over 2 months after that game. Did you also say that he was just a junior/ahl player but is too small to play in the NHL, the coach have obviously seen enough and NHL was done for DD after that first game? Point is, you can't draw any conclusions after the first career game of a player, especially when you give him 7 minutes of ice-time.

Anyways, maybe you could be right in the end. Maybe Bud will never be an NHLer... but to say that Therrien obviously sees 0 in him and he's never gonna be an NHL after a 7 minutes stint in the big league is just your own opinion, not a fact.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Bud problem is skating and his bad luck he is playing for real speedy team, in today's NHL if you skating is just average is hard to survive in long term, unless you play it smart.

It is kind of sucks for guy, i was expecting to see more of him, at least with some quality players, base on one game, it was hard to judge the guy, specially playing with 4th liners

This. His problem is his skating and his ability to think and play the game at an NHL pace. And that you can tell in 7 mins of ice time.

Perhaps he was a bit overwhelmed but I really didn't see him making any adjustments in his game. I may have given him 1 more game to see if he got better but honestly, he's not going to become a better skater overnight. That's what the offseason is for - see Galchenyuk and DSP this year vs last year.

Good story and maybe he gets another shot but this team is build around skating. They want to pressure the other team all over the ice and Bud can't really do that. He showed that much in 7 mins of action.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
With only 7 minutes, a lot of players might not look visible. So unfair to extrapolate anything from so little.

And again, quite a few players do play only that amoutn of time AND you see them more. What's unfair is the level of "visibility"....not the visiblity itself.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
lol all these posts make me laugh... 7 minutes and "I was expecting a lot more." He won some board battles, he cycled decently, and he was playing out of his element with one guy who has been a healthy scratch plenty and another guy half of the people of this forum don't want on the team.

Would have been nice to see him again. But maybe that's the plan - see him again if a Top-9 position opens up.

Thomas is... ok. I guess. He's not an NHL player, at least now, in my opinion. We've had 22 games to see that. He's looked.. okay. Why not give Bud a few extra games to see if maybe there is some untapped potential. The chances are slim, but not taking that chance when we have absolutely no ****ing depth on the right side is hilarious.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal

Well, to be honest, with training camp, some AHL games I saw, and based on his past (he's 27, after all), I'd say it is not that hard to see that the guy doesn't have any aspect in his game that is above average, even slightly. You need at least one aspect in your game that allow you to find a chair in a NHL lineup. I can't find any in Holloway's game.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
I only saw the two St. John's games this year, but in both Holloway was far more visible and potent than Thomas.

I'd say both are fringe guys in NHL terms and one is a fair bit older, I get that. But it's much easier to evaluate their upside when watching them at their day jobs (AHL) because there is no adjustment period, no 4th line low minutes, etc. And in that realm, Holloway stood out a lot more for me. Only two games though.

I just don't think there's much in Thomas.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
And again, quite a few players do play only that amoutn of time AND you see them more. What's unfair is the level of "visibility"....not the visiblity itself.

Some pretty good players have had 7 uneventful minutes. I don't know, doesn't seem like a very sound, objective standard. Plays well for internet braggadoccio purposes as if evaluating players on such a small slice of life were such an exact science.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Some pretty good players have had 7 uneventful minutes. I don't know, doesn't seem like a very sound, objective standard. Plays well for internet braggadoccio purposes as if evaluating players on such a small slice of life were such an exact science.

And yet, that's all it takes to Therrien and Co to see him and send him back. I'M doing the same evaluation than the professionals in charge of this team did. So I guess that if you find my evaluation to be bad....you don't agree with theirs either.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
And yet, that's all it takes to Therrien and Co to see him and send him back. I'M doing the same evaluation than the professionals in charge of this team did. So I guess that if you find my evaluation to be bad....you don't agree with theirs either.

I said the exact same thing above. How can anyone say Therien and Co have made the wrong decision? They are the coaches. They saw nothing In training camp or in his 7 minutes to warrant him staying up. I'll trust the pros not the arm chair GMs and coaches

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Well, if we'd all be doing the same evaluation as you're suggesting, we'd all be rubber-stamping what Therrien and co. are deciding, so I suppose there isn't any room for discussion, is there? And Therrien and co., I assume, are always right?

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Well, if we'd all be doing the same evaluation as you're suggesting, we'd all be rubber-stamping what Therrien and co. are deciding, so I suppose there isn't any room for discussion, is there? And Therrien and co., I assume, are always right?

When it comes to player personal decisions Theriens and co are always right. It's their job. I love how posters think they can make better choices than professionals. Maybe you should Apple if Therien gets canned and then you can coax the GM to sign Holloway

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Again.. what's so obvious? How do you know this? Is Therrien speaking directly to you? Stop making your opinion sounds like fact.

Maybe Therrien is just auditioning the RW in Hamilton. I think it's kinda a stupid the way he does it by playing an offensive player, in a 4th line role with 2 min per period which translate to about 3 shifts per period. We all know Bud is not a superstar in the making, obviously he's has flaws in his game, so expecting him to prove or show anything with 150 seconds of ice-time per period is kinda ridiculous.

You know, DD played his first NHL game 6 years ago. He also played in the 7 minutes in that first and didn't play an NHL games in over 2 months after that game. Did you also say that he was just a junior/ahl player but is too small to play in the NHL, the coach have obviously seen enough and NHL was done for DD after that first game? Point is, you can't draw any conclusions after the first career game of a player, especially when you give him 7 minutes of ice-time.

Anyways, maybe you could be right in the end. Maybe Bud will never be an NHLer... but to say that Therrien obviously sees 0 in him and he's never gonna be an NHL after a 7 minutes stint in the big league is just your own opinion, not a fact.

Pretty much, this. We don't know what assessment Therrien has made of Bud or what other contingencies are at play in the demotion. Bud's not the first player to receive a demotion after one game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad