Confirmed with Link: Buch traded to STL for Blais + 2nd (2022)

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Blais is a different player than Prust in a number of respects. He hits more and he hardly ever fights. He's a bit more skilled too.

Going back to his junior days for the London Knights Prust was fighting all the time. Him and Cam Janssens were a thing. Prust first really got my notice though playing for Calgary after wading into Steve McIntyre after McIntyre had absolutely leveled one of Prust's linemates. Anyone who would go at McIntyre (if they weren't a Booggard, Laraque, McGrattan or John Scott) has got to have a serious level of crazy in them and Prust actually landed two or three good shots before getting pounded to the ice. Prust has that fearless gene in him that maybe less than half of one percent of NHL'ers ever have.

different player yes, but Blais could break out like Prust did he he became a Ranger. different type of player.

I think Blais can score 15 goals 30 pts on this talented team. that would be a breakout year for him.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
different player yes, but Blais could break out like Prust did he he became a Ranger. different type of player.

I think Blais can score 15 goals 30 pts on this talented team. that would be a breakout year for him.
He better. My understanding is that his defensive metrics are quite poor. His value will be if he hits, scores and doesn't get injured as much as he has in the past. A lot to hope for.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
It's not on Drury (all of it) but the Buch trade and Kreider contract are bad moves BECAUSE they waited too long.

That's the issue.

You don't wanna pay Buch 6M? Ok no prob... don't wait to deal him until you have to.

That's the issue.

LetsGoRangers2021

Jan 25, 2021
Didn’t have to make a deal then

I think we could have gotten more too- I really grew to love how Buch grew as a Ranger. That said, don’t you think by holding onto him, we would all be upset about how Kak or Krav or Laf was being held back on the third line? (Assuming someone is switching sides here)

Same on the PP- now we start talking about stunting the kids growth again. They are ready. I think Buch was an unfortunate numbers loss and I wish him the best. I really grew to like him after many years of being so-so on him.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I think we could have gotten more too- I really grew to love how Buch grew as a Ranger. That said, don’t you think by holding onto him, we would all be upset about how Kak or Krav or Laf was being held back on the third line? (Assuming someone is switching sides here)

Same on the PP- now we start talking about stunting the kids growth again. They are ready. I think Buch was an unfortunate numbers loss and I wish him the best. I really grew to like him after many years of being so-so on him.
This again is NOT the reason to take 1c on the dollar.

Deal him... a yr ago or more.

I was never a huge fan but he did get stronger and tougher to play against. I commend him for that for sure. He was so soft for a long time.

However, he was never IMO a 1st line RW on a Stanley Cup team

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
They are ready. I think Buch was an unfortunate numbers loss and I wish him the best. I really grew to like him after many years of being so-so on him.
We hope they are ready. We don't know if they are. Chances are remote that KK or Kratsov will put up Buch numbers (.9 PPG) this season, and Buch became their best PK forward last season. And supposedly we are going for it this season.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Blais in the right situation might hit 35/40 points. It may depend though on how well Kravtsov does. I do think he’s more talented than Prust was though and better overall in the hitting game.

LetsGoRangers2021

Jan 25, 2021
We hope they are ready. We don't know if they are. Chances are remote that KK or Kratsov will put up Buch numbers (.9 PPG) this season, and Buch became their best PK forward last season. And supposedly we are going for it this season.
Neither have to put up .9ppg. The math works like this: everyone improves on their ppg to more than make up for Buch.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
When the the silver lining of a return in a trade where you shipped out a 26yo 1st liner is “can’t be worse than Howden” you know it’s an abysmal trade lmao

Well to be fair we also got a 2nd round pick which Howden would never bring.

Does anyone think Drury turned down a cheap great player or a 1st round pick?

Does anyone think Drury only spoke to St.Louis and did not make Buch available to other teams?

Is it possible that Drury let every NHL team know Buch was available and the best offer was a player plus a 2nd round pick?

Is it possible that was the actual market that was available for Buch?

Reactions: pld459666

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
Neither have to put up .9ppg. The math works like this: everyone improves on their ppg to more than make up for Buch.
That is math fantasy. Everyone doesn't improve; reality doesn't work like that. In advance of the season some pollyana's look at each players best case and anticipate a mass improvement. In all likelihood there will be disappointments, injuries etc. And some in their late 20's and older are already trending down.

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
Well to be fair we also got a 2nd round pick which Howden would never bring.

Does anyone think Drury turned down a cheap great player or a 1st round pick?

Does anyone think Drury only spoke to St.Louis and did not make Buch available to other teams?

Is it possible that Drury let every NHL team know Buch was available and the best offer was a player plus a 2nd round pick?

Is it possible that was the actual market that was available for Buch?
Of course Drury took the best deal out there. It was an unprecedented buyers market for sure due to the pandemic cap crunch. The issue is don't sell a valuable asset for 50 cents on the dollar unless absolutely necessary. And many of us don't think it was absolutely necessary.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Of course Drury took the best deal out there. It was an unprecedented buyers market for sure due to the pandemic cap crunch. The issue is don't sell a valuable asset for 50 cents on the dollar unless absolutely necessary. And many of us don't think it was absolutely necessary.
I understand. I would have liked a 1st instead but what would you want to do instead if that was Buchs current market value? Did you want to sign Buch for 6 mill a year and try to trade him later? Would you keep Buch for good and maybe trade KK, Krav, or Chytil? Would you have not resigned Shesty, Zib or Fox?

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

quite a few don’t want to part ways with anybody.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013

Why are your letters so big? Is this a vision impairment thing?

Reactions: LyNX27

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Look at what Sam Reinhardt returned. Both players 1 year from UFA. The market this off-season wasn't great for wingers. If Buch had been kept, the same people complaining about the deal would have been complaining about Kravtsov and Kaako getting more limited minutes

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Sammy Blais, 2nd rounder and valuable cap space was what the NYR acquired for Buch.

Flexibility to pursue an Eichel or the like is what Drury was after in moving the salary that Buch would have commanded.

Lastly, with the wing depth we have, and the youth we have at that position, Buchnevich was always on borrowed time.

If you keep him, you run the risk of not being able to improve the center position as you are now cap strapped.

If there was a better offer, THAT trade would have been made.

One wasn't there and if the goal is to be able to improve at center (I fully believe Eichel is a NYR by camp), then you make the best trade you can now and have assets AND cap flexibility for when you do make the Eichel trade.

You can argue all you want, but there was no way Buchnevich was a NYR in 2021-22

Reactions: NYSPORTS

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
It is - two damaged retinas.

It you are using a standard keyboard

In most browsers, if you hold down the " Ctrl " key, and then hit the " + " key, the page you are on increases in size.

The "Ctrl" key and minus " - " key will shrink the page.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Much less a top line forward who scores 0.9 PPG and became our best PK forward as well. Not quite anybody.

yet somebody named Kakko or Krav would be dropped to line 3.

I’m not thrilled with the return but understand the market likely wasn’t there. Holding on to him doesn’t fill that crucial need for grit which renders the team practically non-functional vs checking teams.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Buch's 2nd half already pretty much proves that his career year is not the new normal.

It's also entirely possible that he's a fish out of water in St Louis. They play a more grind-y style which is best complimented by speedy/shifty players. Buch is anything but speedy.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Lastly, with the wing depth we have, and the youth we have at that position, Buchnevich was always on borrowed time.

If you keep him, you run the risk of not being able to improve the center position as you are now cap strapped.

that is a GREAT point!! Keeping Buch keeps the Rangers more cap strapped so it’s tougher to improve the center position anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad