Confirmed with Link: Buch traded to STL for Blais + 2nd (2022)

LyNX27

I understand the disappointment in the Buch trade but what did people expect back? If there was a better deal available I assume Drury would have made it.

If you're giving up a 1st line 2-way winger and it's not a cap dump, you should call your shot and be particular about the 3/4th liner you're going for. Aim for the best 3/4th liner with the best contract, then get a pick out of it too.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
If you're giving up a 1st line 2-way winger and it's not a cap dump, you should call your shot and be particular about the 3/4th liner you're going for. Aim for the best 3/4th liner with the best contract, then get a pick out of it too.

A few points.

1. I think there were obviously salary considerations. Buch was looking for 6 mill per

2. Buch had a good contract year but he still has never broken 50 points (yes I know he hasnt played 82 games)

3. What better 3rd liner and better pick was available for Buch?

I was disappointed with the trade at first but after looking at it deeper I do understand Drury's thinking. He probably sees Panarin, Laf, Kakko, Kreider, Krav and even possibly Chytil on the wings. There are only so many wings. We had to free up salary so having an abundance on wing was not a great luxury. We also could not keep playing the same guys and expect this team to be much tougher..

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
It's not even that. We can't just roll the same lineup and expect to win in our division. If the team is going to be successful, it's because the kids grow into the top line roles and play better than the top lines we had last season.
It is not either or. It can be both. We need to be tougher as well as we only have so many top line wing spots open. Some fans are down on Kreider but he is one guy almost every team would want. He is our only guy that both scores 20 plus every year, goes to the dirty areas, and actually hits guys.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
It is not either or. It can be both. We need to be tougher as well as we only have so many top line wing spots open. Some fans are down on Kreider but he is one guy almost every team would want. He is our only guy that both scores 20 plus every year, goes to the dirty areas, and actually hits guys.

The hitting part is quite inconsistent...

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Maybe. He is not a robot but what guy on our team scores 20 a year and hits nearly as often?

I just don’t like the contract due to age and inconsistency. I don’t hate the player. Right now? Probably no one, but I could see Lafreniere being that guy. Zibanejad is a totally different type of player but he’ll go to the dirty areas and put up more points.

LyNX27

A few points.

1. I think there were obviously salary considerations. Buch was looking for 6 mill per

2. Buch had a good contract year but he still has never broken 50 points (yes I know he hasnt played 82 games)

3. What better 3rd liner and better pick was available for Buch?

I was disappointed with the trade at first but after looking at it deeper I do understand Drury's thinking. He probably sees Panarin, Laf, Kakko, Kreider, Krav and even possibly Chytil on the wings. There are only so many wings. We had to free up salary so having an abundance on wing was not a great luxury. We also could not keep playing the same guys and expect this team to be much tougher..

1. It's not a dump, he's a useful player who just got a contract for exactly what he's worth. Contract is not a limiting factor for a team that wants a 1st line winger with 6 million in open cap.

2. He's projecting to be a PPG player next season while having some meh puck luck.

3. Literally on St. Louis is a player called Oskar Sundqvist.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
1. It's not a dump, he's a useful player who just got a contract for exactly what he's worth. Contract is not a limiting factor for a team that wants a 1st line winger with 6 million in open cap.

2. He's projecting to be a PPG player next season while having some meh puck luck.

3. Literally on St. Louis is a player called Oskar Sundqvist.

1. Useful players can still be moved for salary reasons. Sadly that happens sometimes when players start getting in to their FA years. We just signed our goalie for around what Buch signed for.

2. Projecting to be? He may become one but until he does become one he is what he is just like all players his age. I think Buch is a good player but we only have so many top 6 wing spots. The Rangers might be hoping for more from its first line RW or they may be hoping to use that 6 mill a year in a different way or both.

3. Did St.Louis tell you they would give Oscar up?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I just don’t like the contract due to age and inconsistency. I don’t hate the player. Right now? Probably no one, but I could see Lafreniere being that guy. Zibanejad is a totally different type of player but he’ll go to the dirty areas and put up more points.
Zibs does put up more points but he is not the hitter that CK is and when it comes to scoring goals Zibs is not usually the guy taking a beating in front to screen the goalie. I understand that the contract is a concern to some people. The length may not work out well but he is an all star perennial 20 goal scorer that brings speed, power and a willingness to go to the front of the net. How many of those guys his age make much less than 6.5 mill a year?

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Would have liked a bigger return but I think Sammy will be an interesting piece.

He's scored some interesting goals, brings grit, can shift up into higher lines in a pinch, and will help solidify the bottom 6. Can't be worse than Howden.
When the the silver lining of a return in a trade where you shipped out a 26yo 1st liner is “can’t be worse than Howden” you know it’s an abysmal trade lmao

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
some are struggling to come to grips with that.

At least they got an legit NHL player and a pick back for Butch. People make it seem they traded for Tanner Glass and a 2ed.

What if Blais breaks out like Brandon Prust did here as a Ranger? Will people still think it is a bad trade? It’s a wait and see approach on this trade.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
what's going to make this insufferable, is if Buch gets PP1 time on STL... he will be brought up every week.

omagaw fire drury

Reactions: EdJovanovski

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
At least they got an legit NHL player and a pick back for Butch. People make it seem they traded for Tanner Glass and a 2ed.

What if Blais breaks out like Brandon Prust did here as a Ranger? Will people still think it is a bad trade? It’s a wait and see approach on this trade.

he has similar characteristics to Prust. :thumbu:

That second rounder could be valuable too. Might be even more valuable in such a deep 2022 draft class which i’m thinking could be flipped in a package for more stability at center.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
what's going to make this insufferable, is if Buch gets PP1 time on STL... he will be brought up every week.

omagaw fire drury

I’m thinking the Rangers are going to have an exciting season. Buch updates, yeah they’re coming lol. Those who thought Buch was going to bring back Gretzky and have already melted down as if the future Rangers center position is hopeless.

Rangers will be fine.

Reactions: EEL

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Blais is a different player than Prust in a number of respects. He hits more and he hardly ever fights. He's a bit more skilled too.

Going back to his junior days for the London Knights Prust was fighting all the time. Him and Cam Janssens were a thing. Prust first really got my notice though playing for Calgary after wading into Steve McIntyre after McIntyre had absolutely leveled one of Prust's linemates. Anyone who would go at McIntyre (if they weren't a Booggard, Laraque, McGrattan or John Scott) has got to have a serious level of crazy in them and Prust actually landed two or three good shots before getting pounded to the ice. Prust has that fearless gene in him that maybe less than half of one percent of NHL'ers ever have.

Reactions: we want cup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad