Confirmed with Link: Buch traded to STL for Blais + 2nd (2022)

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Look at what Sam Reinhardt returned. Both players 1 year from UFA. The market this off-season wasn't great for wingers. If Buch had been kept, the same people complaining about the deal would have been complaining about Kravtsov and Kaako getting more limited minutes
Sam was a really high draft pick and plays center as well (I think)

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Sam was a really high draft pick and plays center as well (I think)

He's a wing. Been a wing his whole NHL career. Sometimes he takes faceoffs or fills in at center if someone is hurt. Although he has a career 38.8 faceoff percentage so around here that would be a negative to him as a center.

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
You say it is unlikely that everyone improves yet at the same time you are assuming that Buch's career year is his new normal.
Buch is 26 years old. His last season seems more like a natural progression than a career year if you look at his career stats.

Why crap on Buch because Drury traded him? He worked his butt off to become a first line player here. He become a 200 ft. player. He became more of a grinder than most, if not all, of our forwards.He became a fan favorite - at least for a good portion of the fanbase. HIs teammates loved him. Etc. etc.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Buch is 26 years old. His last season seems more like a natural progression than a career year if you look at his career stats.

Why crap on Buch because Drury traded him? He worked his butt off to become a first line player here. He become a 200 ft. player. He became more of a grinder than most, if not all, of our forwards.He became a fan favorite - at least for a good portion of the fanbase. HIs teammates loved him. Etc. etc.

Scoring 2.7 pts/60 which was the 14th best in the league (500+ mins) is not natural progression. It's an outlier and a level far beyond he's ever scored at before. Not shockingly it came along with his career high in secondary assist rate and on ice shooting percentage. He's a very good player. His numbers last year do not seem in any way sustainable.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

In the AHL? Since he had a hard enough time staying in the lineup in St Louis where there’s less winter depth lol. Matter of fact Buch could probably still score more in the NHL than Blais in the AHL

for those of you who wanted to keep Buch, sure, the Rangers could have kept him and continued missing the playoffs going forward. Keep Kreider, could have kept Zucs and extended Hank. All your favorite players can remain and skate around yet you had better ignore the record for the emotional attachment to players. You can’t have both.

Reactions: THE BIG WHISTLE

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
for those of you who wanted to keep Buch, sure, the Rangers could have kept him and continued missing the playoffs going forward. Keep Kreider, could have kept Zucs and extended Hank. All your favorite players can remain and skate around yet you had better ignore the record for the emotional attachment to players. You can’t have both.
Your point is not well taken, and frankly ridiculous. Your analogy examples were all players on the downside of their career. Buch is 26 years old. Make better arguments to support your opinion. And to assert that keeping Buch meant missing playoffs - hyperbole?

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Your point is not well taken, and frankly ridiculous. Your analogy examples were all players on the downside of their career. Buch is 26 years old. Make better arguments to support your opinion. And to assert that keeping Buch meant missing playoffs - hyperbole?

You don’t get. This is a rebuild and flooded with kids which will cost a fortune. You will not have the money to keep them if you resign these vets. What’s ridiculous is ignoring reality. We get it, you wanted to keep Buch or sell him for an absolute fortune. You didn’t get it so it’s complaining time. Nevermind the record, the roster build, the cap, etc, you wanted to keep Buch. Well, he’s gone for obvious reasons.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
He's a wing. Been a wing his whole NHL career. Sometimes he takes faceoffs or fills in at center if someone is hurt. Although he has a career 38.8 faceoff percentage so around here that would be a negative to him as a center.
I will take your word on that. Thanks. :)

LetsGoRangers2021

Jan 25, 2021
That is math fantasy. Everyone doesn't improve; reality doesn't work like that. In advance of the season some pollyana's look at each players best case and anticipate a mass improvement. In all likelihood there will be disappointments, injuries etc. And some in their late 20's and older are already trending down.

We aren’t talking about Pollyanna- just the Rangers. Do you not agree that as a whole, the players that we have should generally improve their offensive numbers from last year?

Reactions: THE BIG WHISTLE

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
We aren’t talking about Pollyanna- just the Rangers. Do you not agree that as a whole, the players that we have should generally improve their offensive numbers from last year?
Yes I do agree that given the age of the majority of Rangers they should, all in, improve. Buch was in that category too and I doubt that KK or Kratsov are ready to come close to Buch's likely production this upcoming season, So if the rebuild is over and the owner and GM are all in for the upcoming season I don't see the benefit of trading Buch for very little. The return was so paltry that they should have just rolled the dice and see how it all played out. That is was and is my perspective.

LyNX27

Yes I do agree that given the age of the majority of Rangers they should, all in, improve. Buch was in that category too and I doubt that KK or Kratsov are ready to come close to Buch's likely production this upcoming season, So if the rebuild is over and the owner and GM are all in for the upcoming season I don't see the benefit of trading Buch for very little. The return was so paltry that they should have just rolled the dice and see how it all played out. That is was and is my perspective.

I think the point was to clear the way so that our top end kids can finally get top 2 line time.

The rebuild is not over, but at some point you have to play the top 2 picks of the draft on the top lines, otherwise you're paying Buch 6 mill to squat in "their spot" or letting him dwindle on the 3rd line when you eventually move them up, a la Kreider.

The idea is that this year they get a full run in the top 2 lines, next 2 years they should be ready to compete at a high level for the whole season. Makes sense in my mind, still would have like Oskar Sundqvist instead of Blais but w/e.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad