Bryan Trottier

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I guess Zarley Zalapski was too busy today.
Freaken Trotts will do anything for $100 bucks.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
I guess Zarley Zalapski was too busy today.
Freaken Trotts will do anything for $100 bucks.

That last sentence is very true, and very unfortunate. Didn't he want the Islanders to pay him to have his number retired or something odd along those lines?

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
I've seen him and Bourque advertising Pit-Bos game at nhldotcom. That's his legacy, he belongs both to the Isles and the Pens. Win again like Pittsburgh, and he will be yours entirely and forever.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
That last sentence is very true, and very unfortunate. Didn't he want the Islanders to pay him to have his number retired or something odd along those lines?
I think so, it is why there was a long delay in his Jersey retirement, in some way I do not blame the old school guys for almost doing anything for a buck it seems because they did not make a fraction of what the guys nowadays make and I am sure they are still looking for a paycheck, it still sucks to see him on a grand stage and to the non hockey fan or the casual one have him associated with the Penguins when he was arguably our best player if all time

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Just to add some context...

If I recall correctly, Trottier had to declare bankruptcy as a player or shortly after retirement. I believe He was essentially scammed by his agent or financial advisor.

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
I believe he had a few businesses that went belly up, including an ice rink on LI. I watched that Thanksgiving parade float thing today with Trottier and the dancing pucks. Doooche chills, anyone?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Reminds me of Lafontaine. Guy spent half a second of his career on the Rags but in every public outing he’s wearing a rangers jersey.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Whenever I think of hockey, I also think of Haitian born rapper, Wyclef Jean.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Trottier doesn't seem like he's a very good person.

What you have to remember though is that he had to file for bankruptcy in the early or mid 90s with something like 10 mil owed to his creditors and very little in terms of assets. Fact is he should've been way more on top of things in terms of this. Since then he's always been trying to make a buck by selling off memorabilia and the like. The Rags were supposedly mortified to find out just how poorly prepared and overwhelmed he was when they finally fired him.

A friend of mine who is not a Rag fan but worked within the Rags organization at the time actually said people were speculating that in the early 2000s he was promoting himself so much to become a head coach because he got into more financial issues and simply needed the salary. And the Rags simply bought his shtick.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
What you have to remember though is that he had to file for bankruptcy in the early or mid 90s with something like 10 mil owed to his creditors and very little in terms of assets. Fact is he should've been way more on top of things in terms of this. Since then he's always been trying to make a buck by selling off memorabilia and the like. The Rags were supposedly mortified to find out just how poorly prepared and overwhelmed he was when they finally fired him.

A friend of mine who is not a Rag fan but worked within the Rags organization at the time actually said people were speculating that in the early 2000s he was promoting himself so much to become a head coach because he got into more financial issues and simply needed the salary. And the Rags simply bought his shtick.
Trots is a good man. I don't care what the Rags fans or others around that team say. He obviously had problems being their head coach, but I had read that they hired him because he was so thorough in his preparation and presentation, bringing a typed, 72 page detailed plan to fix the team with him for his interview that impressed the Rags brass.
Trots had been a well thought of assistant coach for both the Pens and the Avalanche at a time the Lanche won their Cup, and another year with the Buffalo Sabres. Rather did not give him the time any coach would have been given. The Rags fans hated him because he was an Islander icon. The Islander fans hated him because he went over to the enemy. Sather knuckled to that pressure.
Trots invented a synthetic ice that could be used to skate on indoors and not melt. That business was ahead of its time, but his business eventually went bankrupt. Trottier and his wife also went through a divorce. He was a great player, a great Islander hero. Don't forget that, he was the only Islander ever to win all the major trophies of the sport...Calder, Conn Smythe, Ross, Hart.

Reactions: Doshell Propivo

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I said SEEMS I didn't come up with some convoluted story. Relax.
It's a ridiculous comment to make. Especially without providing any context. He's an Islander legend who is revered by many for the way he played the game. I don't know him personally but I have never seen/heard/read anything to suggest he's "not a very good person." Whatever that even means...

Trotts' number hangs in the rafters. If you're going to crap all over his character, provide some evidence.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
It's a ridiculous comment to make. Especially without providing any context. He's an Islander legend who is revered by many for the way he played the game. I don't know him personally but I have never seen/heard/read anything to suggest he's "not a very good person." Whatever that even means...

Trotts' number hangs in the rafters. If you're going to crap all over his character, provide some evidence.

First off, I never questioned his on-ice ability. He's by far my dad's favorite player. What I'm saying and his "number hanging from the rafters" have nothing to do with each other.

Evidence is he's had falling outs with the Islanders, and the most recent is this BS with the Penguins jersey at a New York parade. He just doesn't seem like the nicest guy, at least to the Islanders organization.

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
I met Trottier at Barclays center two seasons ago, he was super nice, showed me his '82 Stanley cup ring, took a couple of pictures with me and came off as a legit regular guy.
all this financial stuff is business, it has nothing to do with being a good or a bad person. to me if somebody I admire takes the time to actually converse with me and have a laugh, I would like to think he's a pretty good person.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Trottier is head of the penguins players alumni association. Guess he liked his time there more.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
First off, I never questioned his on-ice ability. He's by far my dad's favorite player. What I'm saying and his "number hanging from the rafters" have nothing to do with each other.

Evidence is he's had falling outs with the Islanders, and the most recent is this BS with the Penguins jersey at a New York parade. He just doesn't seem like the nicest guy, at least to the Islanders organization.
People have "falling outs" all the time for many reasons. From what I've heard, the Milstein/Gluckstern ownership group and the Gang of Four owners completely turned their back on the dynasty teams and really alienated a lot of them. Trottier included. It wasn't until Wang came along that the team started to really embrace the alumni. Probably too much so considering the constant celebrations of the 80's teams became cliched.

Trottier's financial problems have been well documented. If that motivated him to accept a lucrative coaching job with the NYR or put on a Penguins jersey for an NHL fee in a freaking parade doesn't make him a "bad" person. Let's not forget he won two cups with Pittsburgh and then was an assistant coach with them for 4 seasons. So he certainly has ties there. And if the NHL wanted to use that to promote a game, who cares?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad