Injury Report: Bryan Little

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I agree. I’m just saying players have came back from serious injuries before. And if he wants to come back we have no choice.

Bryan Little isn't an idiot and he knows that his cap space has been used. If he hates the Jets he might try to show up for camp some day, but I suspect he doesn't.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Seems like we've heard very little about him and most have written him off by now
It'll be interesting for sure if he can come back (although who knows if he'd be up to NHL-level)

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Or, if he plays smarter. Are you saying that athletes are disposable and their post career life isn't important?

Contact to the head is extremely dangerous and should not be permitted, even accidentally.
You enforce rules for headshots on purpose and you accept accidents happen. The players know the risks and are paid millions to play. They don’t need to be babied.

Reactions: libertarian

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
You enforce rules for headshots on purpose and you accept accidents happen. The players know the risks and are paid millions to play. They don’t need to be babied.
Extremely dinosauric view. Should it be the same for high sticks, and if not, why?

These incidents both cause injury, and are dangerous. If you are supposed to be in control of your stick at all times and get a penalty for accidental high sticking, why not for accidental contact to the head? If you don't mean to drive someone into the boards from behind, should you not be penalized for it?

Just because something was accepted previously doesn't mean it's right. I like the way that the IIHF has gone with it, and theres still plenty of contact in those games.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Extremely dinosauric view. Should it be the same for high sticks, and if not, why?

These incidents both cause injury, and are dangerous. If you are supposed to be in control of your stick at all times and get a penalty for accidental high sticking, why not for accidental contact to the head? If you don't mean to drive someone into the boards from behind, should you not be penalized for it?

Just because something was accepted previously doesn't mean it's right. I like the way that the IIHF has gone with it, and theres still plenty of contact in those games.

It’s a touchy subject. On one hand I like the way Arizona handled soucey last night but I also like the way iihf does it. Accidental contact to the head should be a automatical 5 IMO not a game though

Reactions: Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
It’s a touchy subject. On one hand I like the way Arizona handled soucey last night but I also like the way iihf does it. Accidental contact to the head should be a automatical 5 IMO not a game though
Oh absolutely not. Minor for accidental and major/ game for any intentional stuff like chicken winging.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Agree. I've seen enough cases of serious injury associated with this sort of contact (above and including youth players) to warrant a long, hard look at how high hits are treated in terms of the in-game rulebook and longer-term fines/suspensions.

Crack down hard on hits from behind and incidental contact to the head and players will adapt -- and the ones who don't initially will eventually. Otherwise the league is heading for more player unrest and potentially a class-action nightmare, IMO, similar to what we're seeing with the NFL.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

If you let such huge height disparity into the league where it becomes impossible for guys like Stanley to lay a clean hit. It’s not like he is jumping into the hits but that guys like debrinkat are much shorter and I’m not going to penalize tall ppl for playing the game like everyone else.
High sticks players have to bring their sticks up all the way from the ice Stanleys are doing just as they are taught but everyone else is shorter.
Hits from behind should be eliminated and players can be taught see the numbers back off. Stanley would practically have to be on his knees to hit debrinkat properly.
It doesn’t apply to most guys as there are 3 guys 6’7 and everyone else is in the same height range. So it’s easier for ihf. So you can still eliminate 99% of head shots without picking on chara and Stanley.

Last edited:

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth

When people become cops they know there is a risk of them dying on the job. This is true of firefighter. I worked in AB's oil patch for decades and 100+ people die on the Job every year no matter how many safety course the workers have to go through. Point is there is always risk in many occupations. The differences is NHL players get paid a hell of a lot more for taking less risk then most industrial workers and first responders do. Sorry if I don't worry to much about them.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
When people become cops they know there is a risk of them dying on the job. This is true of firefighter. I worked in AB's oil patch for decades and 100+ people die on the Job every year no matter how many safety course the workers have to go through. Point is there is always risk in many occupations. The differences is NHL players get paid a hell of a lot more for taking less risk then most industrial workers and first responders do. Sorry if I don't worry to much about them.

I am betting that far fewer people die working on the oil patch in Canada where there are a good set of rules and regulations around what can and can't be done and training provided compared to I dunno a place like Russia or Saudi Arabia which are less likely to have such worker protection provisions.

Point is that there is a huge difference between acceptable and unacceptable risk. Getting a puck to the face that somehow evades the helmet is acceptable risk for being an NHL player. Getting an elbow to the head while making a play in the neutral zone is not.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

The rule is not against deliberate head shots. It is against head shots. You are responsible for what you do on the ice. It is just like you are responsible for your stick. High sticking is high sticking. Intent is irrelevant.

Making and enforcing rules that protect them from preventable injuries with life long, or life threatening, consequences is not babying them.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If you let such huge height disparity into the league where it becomes impossible for guys like Stanley to lay a clean hit. It’s not like he is jumping into the hits but that guys like debrinkat are much shorter and I’m not going to penalize tall ppl for playing the game like everyone else.
High sticks players have to bring their sticks up all the way from the ice Stanleys are doing just as they are taught but everyone else is shorter.
Hits from behind should be eliminated and players can be taught see the numbers back off. Stanley would practically have to be on his knees to hit debrinkat properly.
It doesn’t apply to most guys as there are 3 guys 6’7 and everyone else is in the same height range. So it’s easier for ihf. So you can still eliminate 99% of head shots without picking on chara and Stanley.

I think Stanley knows how tall he is. He needs to learn to deal with the height disparity. You want special rules for tall guys? Ridiculous POV. Sorry.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
The rule is not against deliberate head shots. It is against head shots. You are responsible for what you do on the ice. It is just like you are responsible for your stick. High sticking is high sticking. Intent is irrelevant.

Making and enforcing rules that protect them from preventable injuries with life long, or life threatening, consequences is not babying them.
How many players get life threatening injuries? They know the risks going in that someone may slash you and may cause carpol tunnel syndrome later. No professional sport has done away with lifelong injuries.
CFL players have to do it for a tenth of the money.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
How many players get life threatening injuries? They know the risks going in that someone may slash you and may cause carpol tunnel syndrome later. No professional sport has done away with lifelong injuries.
This is an extremely weak argument. Even pro football has penalties for contact to the head.

I don't subscribe to the argument that because an athlete has chosen to play a sport with inherent injury risk that the governing body shouldn't do all it can to minimize risk.

I am taller than at least half the players I play against, and there's plenty of contact, yet I avoid hitting opponents in the head at all (unless I'm punching them).

Reactions: SLAYER

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
This is an extremely weak argument. Even pro football has penalties for contact to the head.

I don't subscribe to the argument that because an athlete has chosen to play a sport with inherent injury risk that the governing body shouldn't do all it can to minimize risk.

I am taller than at least half the players I play against, and there's plenty of contact, yet I avoid hitting opponents in the head at all (unless I'm punching them).
Don’t punch people it could cause brain damage. Also I would think you would be playing beer league by now as I assume you are older and there is no hitting in beer league.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

No one is suggesting that all risk be eliminated. Just head shots. Unacceptable risk. Unnecessary risk. No need for it. No need to baby players by allowing it because you are tall. No need to baby players by allowing it because you are careless.

Saying that people know the risks going into their occupations is no excuse for unnecessary risks. Make the rewards high enough and people will risk anything, just for the entertainment of the crowds.

We used to have bear baiting, dog fighting, cock fighting, all for entertainment. Society has outgrown such practices. They still happen but are illegal and highly disapproved of by larger society. We used to have human sacrifice and competitions where people fought to the death too. Just for entertainment. We have also outgrown those things.

We now know a lot more about the danger of head injury than we used to. Knowing makes it unacceptable.

Reactions: FonRiesen and Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Don’t punch people it could cause brain damage. Also I would think you would be playing beer league by now as I assume you are older and there is no hitting in beer league.
'no hitting' :)

Also, the punching thing was a joke. Sorry you are so heated about this.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Or, if he plays smarter. Are you saying that athletes are disposable and their post career life isn't important?

Contact to the head is extremely dangerous and should not be permitted, even accidentally.

Don’t disagree with you, but how many times have we seen a player injured because they dropped their head last minute, or maybe turned the wrong way putting themselves into a venerable position? Some onus needs to be put on the player if they are constantly putting themselves in the position to be injured. At the speed this game is played, and it’s only getting faster, everyone needs to adapt to make it safer.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Don’t disagree with you, but how many times have we seen a player injured because they dropped their head last minute, or maybe turned the wrong way putting themselves into a venerable position? Some onus needs to be put on the player if they are constantly putting themselves in the position to be injured. At the speed this game is played, and it’s only getting faster, everyone needs to adapt to make it safer.
That is definitely an issue for sure. Kind of like when a forward quickly turns his back to a defender along the boards and gets hit from behind.

Reactions: jgimp

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Bryan Little isn't an idiot and he knows that his cap space has been used. If he hates the Jets he might try to show up for camp some day, but I suspect he doesn't.

that is a silly take.

If he shows up for camp it's because he wants to play again. he has a contract and the Jets will be duty bound to honor it.

if he feels he can come back and play then we should applaud him for coming back from such a horrific injury

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad