Bryan Little suffered brain bleed after getting struck by puck

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
If he did have a head bleed it's because he caught it to the side of the head like that. More common to get a bleed there, a lot more vasculature on the side than to the face/front. Probably why players don't get them more.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I don't even know what that's supposed to mean.

We've seen players have their throats cut, spines crushed, skulls cracked. We're lucky only one of them has ever died. I can't see how it's even possible to disagree with that.
Ya lots of people have died playing hockey......so it is surprising it hasn't happened more in the NHL. I think Bill Masterton was the only one.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I don't get why they don't. If they are required, the youth stigma attached to them will be gone within a couple years.

Getting the players to agree to it would be problematic - for a number of reasons... decreased visibility and decreased ventilation particularly.

They'd also have to implement it all at once, rather than phase them in like they did with the visors as it gets dangerous when some players have them and some don't. At that point even relatively innocuous collisions run the risk of injury if they hit wrong.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I have thought this many times. Especially if you think about back in the day when goalies stopped pucks to the face without any mask on lol.

It’s still crazy but stick blades werent really curved back then and the shafts weren’t whippy composite ones like they are now. It was very hard to elevate the puck back then.

bring back the jets

Oct 30, 2010
As if the brain injury isn't enough on it's own, the poor guy also has to stay at the health sciences center

Get well soon Brian

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Poor guy, bleeds his heart out for the franchise and has had some terrible freak injuries. I hope he fully recovers.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
The guy takes a full force slapshot off the side of his head and the trainer is like "Sure go ahead and get up and skate off on your own". Brilliant.

I hope he makes a full recovery, looks brutal.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I remember at the game thinking that he'd be okay for next game as this stuff happens almost all the time. This shocks me what you almost don't expect to happen. Poor Little, can't catch a break. Hope he's alright.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Best wishes to Little, hopefully a speedy recovery.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
i wouldnt be suprised if they start adding full cages to the helmets, feel bad for the kid, hope his recovers.
Full cage and ear protectors, agreed. How many injuries do we need to have caused by high sticks, errant pucks etc. ? As is, it feels like they're not going to do anything until someone loses an eye or something.

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
People in the past were complete lunatics. The first hockey puck was just a knife.

they still have them!

56C1FDA8-A299-4EB5-B2B8-4FD458028D1A.jpeg

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
Having cages in full contact mens hockey would open a whole new can of worms. There would be broken jaws all over the place and the concussion numbers would sky rocket.
When the cage hits someones shoulder it presses against the face of the one wearing it, the lower part of the cage can very easily break your jaw during impact at the speeds the game is played in the NHL.
The whole helmet design needs to be changed to something like a motorcross helmet for this to work and that doesn't seem like a plausible option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad