Brunner

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
That's because he's used to score on wristers with no traffic because the goalies and competition in NLA sucks big time.
Now he realizes, **** these goalies are good, i must make the perfect shot (that being right under the crossbar, above the butterfly goalies shoulder etc), and very often you'll shoot high doing this

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
I observed that often, players coming from Switzerland (i didn't observe nor know the others) needed time to adjust about shots.

Smaller ice = less time you need to shoot faster.

not being a hockey player, just a hockey lover ... i still guess that it influences the quality of the shot.
Most loose efficiency upfront in the sniping for exemple. The speed of adjustment would be obviously on an individual basis. Josi, playing with the preds (replacing now Suter) as a D, lost definitely precision hence effectiveness in his shots the first year.

my 2cts non player opinion

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
That's because he's used to score on wristers with no traffic because the goalies and competition in NLA sucks big time.
Now he realizes, **** these goalies are good, i must make the perfect shot (that being right under the crossbar, above the butterfly goalies shoulder etc), and very often you'll shoot high doing this

We have great goalies in NLA. i don't think this influences it to the same degree as time.
(they have to be less good ... else they would move to NHL for higher $)

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I'm sure Brunner would be more than happy to earn $4,5M a year playing in the NHL...

So far he's played one NHL game in which I thought he was among the least bad players for Detroit. I'll give him at least a month before I comment on his future as a NHLer...

Without Briere Leino is nothing. Buffalo regrets that signing.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I observed that often, players coming from Switzerland (i didn't observe nor know the others) needed time to adjust about shots.

Smaller ice = less time you need to shoot faster.
not being a hockey player, just a hockey lover ... i still guess that it influences the quality of the shot.
Most loose efficiency upfront in the sniping for exemple. The speed of adjustment would be obviously on an individual basis. Josi, playing with the preds (replacing now Suter) as a D, lost definitely precision hence effectiveness in his shots the first year.

my 2cts non player opinion

This is what I saw as well. He is so slow to shoot. His wrister is hard as anyone's but the stop the puck, pull it way back and fire isn't going to work in the NHL. It gives the goaltender too much time to get set. As you said you can get away with that in Switzerland but if you let an NHL goaltender get set you won't have a thing to shoot at. That being said hopefully he can make adjustments and make it work.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think Brunner looks like a legit top line player myself, top 6 at least anyways. He's probably created as many chances as Datsyuk out there and while he has been snake bitten a bit has had a lot of great chances. This is without adjustment time to the smaller rinks yet.

You can definitely see the big rink plays he still makes a bit but those will change over time. I think the wings got a guy they can rely on as a top 6 scorer. Hopefully that goal last night breaks his luck streak because he has gotten robbed a few times already, could have 4 goals

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I think Brunner looks like a legit top line player myself, top 6 at least anyways. He's probably created as many chances as Datsyuk out there and while he has been snake bitten a bit has had a lot of great chances. This is without adjustment time to the smaller rinks yet.

You can definitely see the big rink plays he still makes a bit but those will change over time. I think the wings got a guy they can rely on as a top 6 scorer. Hopefully that goal last night breaks his luck streak because he has gotten robbed a few times already, could have 4 goals

Agreed. He looks like he belongs in the NHL. He looks much better than alot of our other 2-3rd line guys. (Yes he is playing with our 2 best which make him look better, but still)

crashman

Brunner does look legit.

I just hope Babcock doesn't just force him and Z out there together based on a little chemistry they developed in the Swiss league. They don't really seem to be clicking right now.

On a different note, it's time to break up D & Z. They both need their own line and Filppula needs to play wing.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

He should definitely have more than one goal thus far so I expect him to break out pretty soon. Pavs fed him a beauty of a pass last night, I think he'll flourish this season with Datsyuk setting him up.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
He should definitely have more than one goal thus far so I expect him to break out pretty soon. Pavs fed him a beauty of a pass last night, I think he'll flourish this season with Datsyuk setting him up.

+1

Just cause Hank and Brunner had chemistry in Zug doesn't mean they should be joined at the hip. If (when) Z and D are separated I wouldn't mind seeing Brunner with Pav instead of Z.
A right handed shoot first player with a hard accurate shot seems tailor made for Datsyuk.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
I think he has made better plays with Datsyuk and I feel as a sniper he'd be better fit with Datsyuk. So unless Datsyuk is injured and can't play center I say he centers the 1st line and Zetterberg centers the 2nd.

I think this off season he needs to work with Gary Roberts or a high end strenght and conditioning coach to gain weight and add a ton of lower body strength and improve his balance on the ice. Then I can see him being a point per game guy.

Dekesyuk

Apr 18, 2012
Brunner will work wonderfully with Pasha or Z, he loves to shoot which is something us as Red Wings fans beg for. He gets chances and even though hes not used to scoing on them yet he will get used to them. He should be a great player in the future, a better scorer than Fil but not as good of a playmaker. We NEED to keep him.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It would be really interesting to see Brunner off from Zetterberg. I really don't see any special chemistry between them. They are doing good, but nothing special.

Brunner looks like the best right-handed shooter we have had since Brett Hull. Hull flourished with Datsyuk. Put them together and give Zetts his own line with Filppula and some "new hudler".

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
Also another thing I don't like is these idiots on the board giving him an insulting nickname of the nose. Let's see your picture of yourself before insulting a player of your favorite team.

Aug 6, 2012
Also another thing I don't like is these idiots on the board giving him an insulting nickname of the nose. Let's see your picture of yourself before insulting a player of your favorite team.

Quit being so defensive. Its a nickname on a forum.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground

I think of it more as a joke rather than an insult. I have a nose that would make a toucan jealous (I'm Indian lol) so I'm allowed to make fun of his nose.........that's how it works right?

Anyways, since he pronounces it Brunner as in runner, I like the nickname "gunner"

Mort Divine

Jun 12, 2012
Fargo, ND

Okay

52284210151197920446003.jpg

Now can I say that Brunner sure does have a 'nose' for the puck?

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids

We are obviously insulting him so that when he reads thru the forum (and you know he does) he'll get pissed off and take his anger out on the opposition. :D

Are you waging the same campaign against posters questioning the intelligence of Holland or Babcock by demanding SAT scores and GPA's, and requiring +/- stats from everyone who thinks Quincey has been terrible so far?

It's a nickname, not an insult. Going out on a shaky limb here and thinking that it's on his radar that he's got an impressive schnoz. We like the kid and his start for the team, and "the nose plays" came to mind for me from Ocean's 13.

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
Brunner looks like the best right-handed shooter we have had since Brett Hull. Hull flourished with Datsyuk. Put them together and give Zetts his own line with Filppula and some "new hudler".

Nyquist. Or we can trade Franzen for Hudler. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad