Value of: Bruins young defensemen: Vaakanainen, Clifton, Lauzon, or Zboril

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Not looking for rentals or a blockbuster here. Bruins strength is their defensive line, and it's no secret they need help on forwards. Preferably more of the offensive minded/skilled variety.

For any teams looking for defensemen, the Bruins have:
Expansion exempt: Urho Vaakanainen LD
Not expansion exempt: Connor Clifton RD, Jakub Zboril LD, Jeremy Lauzon LD

If I had to guess, Seattle will likely take one of the defenseman for the draft (not guaranteed, but my guess)

Wondering if any team that needs defense, has NHL ready forwards (wingers or centers that can play wing), that would be a good match to trade. I'm not going to pretend to know the value of players around the league, but at floor, all of the Bruins I listed are at minimum bottom pair NHL ready defensemen, and depending on scout and/or opinion, the ceiling ranges between the 4 defenseman I listed above. I'd imagine depending on your opinion of any of them, they all probably have different values, but currently, I'd say they are similarly stacked on the depth chart.

Looking for similarly aged (or under 27 year old) forwards that might be a good swap that could be beneficial for both teams. Urho, ideally would return more since he's exempt OR more willing to be traded for an exempt forward. Probably looking for forwards that at minimum would be bottom 6; with the potential to be higher.

Any teams or players that would be a good matchup for this kinda deal?

Edit: bolded what I'm looking for/not looking for.

Last edited:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I would imagine Devils would try to pluck one of those guys in a hypothetical Palmieri trade.

If not, I could see the Devils making a swap sending a forward for a defender. Kuokkanen, Sharangovich, and Maltsev probably won’t get dealt after their strong showings this year, same for McLeod.

Seney, Boqvist, and Merkley would be the three most likely to get dealt in a swap deal, but it’s hard to gauge where their value is at.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
Kuokkanen, Sharangovich, and Maltsev, McLeod

What can you say about those players? Floor, ceiling? Players you think they would be most likr best case scenario?

I have no interest in Palmieri, altho other Bruins fans may disagree. I'm trying to stick to strictly young player with potential for young player with potential for the sake of the thread. (Yes, I know they could be dealt for something else, just familiarizing myself with other teams players in that category that could be available)

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
What can you say about those players? Floor, ceiling? Players you think they would be most likr best case scenario?

I have no interest in Palmieri, altho other Bruins fans may disagree. I'm trying to stick to strictly young player with potential for young player with potential for the sake of the thread. (Yes, I know they could be dealt for something else, just familiarizing myself with other teams players in that category that could be available)
I have always liked Palmieri, but I do not think he is the answer for the Bruins now.........

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
Really, Palmieri would seem to be one of those classic Eastern Conference forwards who would fit in the Bruins just fine.
The OP was looking for younger wingers, not rentals. Which is what Palmieri is. Bruins, in my opinion should stay away from rentals after years of giving up assets that went out the window in July. He may/may not be a fit, but not what I'm asking about at the moment.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
IMO the Kings/Reign and Ducks/Gull have plenty of forward prospects but I doubt they would want a player that needs Expansion protection. Urho Vaakanainen might fetch a Max Jones or Tyler Madden. You won't get a Comtois or Terry type IMO.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
The OP was looking for younger wingers, not rentals. Which is what Palmieri is. Bruins, in my opinion should stay away from rentals after years of giving up assets that went out the window in July. He may/may not be a fit, but not what I'm asking about at the moment.
I agree, unless it is a rental that comes at a sweet price but they are not at a premium . I would love to see them get someone like Connor Garland. I also would not mind Sweeney get off his dead ass and try and be aggressive for a change . Maybe a blockbuster with Detroit who is seeking young player and picks, something around Mantha , Bertuzzi and Staal for his experience to help with this young D the Bruins have now and they are giving up on the season and are still getting younger . I know it is a lot too chew on ,but it is a thought.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I’m not sure Vaak is worth that. If we were to trade Thomas, I think we’d shoot for Hanifin. Any interest in Mike Hoffman or Zach Sanford in a package?

Interestingly, Robert Thomas was whom Don Sweeney was going to select in the first round of the 2017 draft, but he was talked out of it after his scouts at the table had persuaded him to take Vaak.

Vaak+ for Thomas?

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
What could the Blues send to Boston for Vaak? We need a future LHD that can play shutdown.
Looking for similarly aged (or under 27 year old) forwards that might be a good swap that could be beneficial for both teams. Urho, ideally would return more since he's exempt OR more willing to be traded for an exempt forward. Probably looking for forwards that at minimum would be bottom 6; with the potential to be higher.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Blais+Sanford if we’re selling. Sanford is a, unreliable at times, top-9 big body that has good hands and forechecks well, and Blais is the same though with less success and more nasty.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Interestingly, Robert Thomas was whom Don Sweeney was going to select in the first round of the 2017 draft, but he was talked out of it after his scouts at the table had persuaded him to take Vaak.

Vaak+ for Thomas?
Again, Thomas is too good. We wouldn’t trade him for O’Reilly, so I doubt we trade him for a lesser player.

CheerstoBeers

Jan 28, 2008
I would like Palmeiri as a long term solution for the second line scoring woes. I would be game for a trade and sign but just to trade assets again for a run that maybe falls short isn't ideal.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
I prefer Wood over Kyle but that’s just me and of course reducing what we send over.

Something like Wood for Urho and a third?

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Id do a debrusk vaak plus 1st round pick for Thomas and dunn.
Dunn is definitely available, but Thomas would likely only be used for a strong upgrade. We need Thomas going forward as Schenn and O’Reilly age. DeBrusk is interesting to the Blues, but he’d only be an upgrade to Sanford in our top-6. That first round pick would be interesting if we are sellers, though.

Reactions: The don godfather

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Dunn is definitely available, but Thomas would likely only be used for a strong upgrade. We need Thomas going forward as Schenn and O’Reilly age. DeBrusk is interesting to the Blues, but he’d only be an upgrade to Sanford in our top-6. That first round pick would be interesting if we are sellers, though.
We badly need a solid young center as dk and bergy are now twighlight in their careers . Thomas would be great but young centers are hard to pry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad