Boston Bruins Bruins Prospects Discussion V - 3 warnings posted - Stay On Subject only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiGBear8

May 21, 2012
J Zboril already has pretty good size(6ft 201lbs) and will get bigger..two-way defenseman great strength plays with edge what the bruins brass look for.good skating ability with high energy.I think bruins are looking for him to impress in training camp

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I'd love to see Senyshyn come into camp and win a spot. I think he and Kuraly would be great together on the 4th line.

Reactions: HustleB

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I'd love to see Senyshyn come into camp and win a spot. I think he and Kuraly would be great together on the 4th line.

would be nice, but i'd be shocked. he's on the long-term plan, hopefully getting fed lots of ice time in
offensive role this year with guys who have some hands. i can see him getting a cookie here or there
with a few random callups, but expect he plays 95% of the year in providence. his ETA, IMO, is 2019-20.

Reactions: HustleB and JCRO

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Could be? Yes. However, it’s an unlikely event given that there are things he can still work on— things he needs to work on. The aspects of his game that need to be improved upon would be handled best in a top-six role in Providence where there is far less pressure on him.

I think Frederic will be in the NHL around January, to be honest. Will it be full-time? Center? Wing? Those are questions I can’t answer as of yet. With that being said, what ever “it” is, he’s got “it.”

Personally I hope they let him develop as a center. Even if he is good enough to play LW in the NHL, I'd rather they leave him in Providence playing in the middle.

The Bruins don't need another left-shot winger IMO either short or long-term.

Given the value of big strong two-way center-men when it comes to winning in today's NHL, if he can play in the middle, that's where I want him to start and finish.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

If you buy into the project and not a bust hype the last thing you want to do is call him up this year and have him play limited minutes in a defensive/energy roll. The plan appears to be giving him a more offensive roll in Providence this year and maybe looking at him for Boston in 19-20, if he does develop it looks to be on an Anthony Mantha curve. He may need 19-20 in Providence as well. Keep him there until he can score at least at a minor league level.

For the amount of deserved grief management has taken for where they selected Senyshyn (which in no way was his fault obviously) probably the worst thing they could do at this point is call him up now, hinder his offensive development and start to make him a third line checker with size and speed, if that winds up being his ceiling so be it but give him a chance to develop in the AHL as scoring wing before using him in a 4th line roll.

I do see the appeal of Kuraly and Senyshyn given there size and speed but patience appears to be a key with Senyshyn

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Can you guys give me some insight into Bruins players who made their NHL debut last season? Specifically what type of player they are, if they have an NHL future and what role they project as in the long-term. Thanks!

Ryan Donato
Anders Bjork
Colby Cave

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Can you guys give me some insight into Bruins players who made their NHL debut last season? Specifically what type of player they are, if they have an NHL future and what role they project as in the long-term. Thanks!

I'll take a crack at it......

Ryan Donato

This kid has the potential to be a legit top 6, scoring winger. He has a serious release and a nice hard shot. If he hits his mark, 25+ goals isn't out of the question. Right now, barring any signings/trades, he seems like he's an option for either 3rd line LW, or battling for 2nd line RW. MAYBE he is tried at center (3rd line), but that one seems difficult to predict. He showed that he has potential to score right away, putting up 9 points in 12 games (5 goals over that span). He needs to work on his defensive game and something I noticed is that he needs to learn to get the shot off. There were quite a few times that he would get the puck in the slot, and whiff or mishandle a pass and not be able to get the shot off. It was probably the speed of the game being new to him, but he'll have to work on that. He's 6'0'' but will hopefully fill out a little more. I don't see why he isn't getting a serious look somewhere in the Top 9 + PP time next season.

Anders Bjork

He started off well with Boston with Bergeron and Marchand, but destroyed by Matt Martin with an open ice hit, and didn't come back the same. I really like this kid, and like Donato, he has upside to be a very good top 6 winger. He's an extremely smart player and has a lot of skill + playmaking ability. He can be an all around player. Good in three zones. He will need to learn to play with his head up, though. He'll be battling for a spot this season. He will be coming off shoulder surgery so if he comes into camp and kills it, he'll get a spot, but there's always a chance he goes to the AHL to get some top 6 looks and get back to game speed.

Colby Cave

Not seeing much here other than a 4th line, tweener type. Every team has a lot of players like this in their system. He's a versatile injury filler, type. Bruins have plenty of options over him. Always a chance he impresses in camp and earns a spot, but I think he's back in the AHL. If he's an NHLer, not sure it will happen in Boston.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
would be nice, but i'd be shocked. he's on the long-term plan, hopefully getting fed lots of ice time in
offensive role this year with guys who have some hands. i can see him getting a cookie here or there
with a few random callups, but expect he plays 95% of the year in providence. his ETA, IMO, is 2019-20.
I think what they did was brilliant and fortunately they were able to do it because of their situation above. He has shown enough that he likely can be a quality bottom 6 player and since the top 2 lines is loaded with regulars and candidates (Bergeron, Krejci, Pastrnak, DeBrusk, Nash, Marchand, Donato, Heinen, Bjork) there is no need to have him be anywhere else and if he shows over time like Marchand did then he can work his way higher.

They not only were able to keep him down all year but work on his weaknesses- the best of both worlds for development.

My guess is the plan is to give him more- as in power play and regular top 2 lines

BruinsNetwork

Personally I hope they let him develop as a center. Even if he is good enough to play LW in the NHL, I'd rather they leave him in Providence playing in the middle.

The Bruins don't need another left-shot winger IMO either short or long-term.

Given the value of big strong two-way center-men when it comes to winning in today's NHL, if he can play in the middle, that's where I want him to start and finish.

I agree, and I think that’s their plan for him as well. Will he be able to adjust and work hard to be proficient at face-offs? Well, that’s the golden question for every prospects. I believe Frederic is going to figure it out and develop into a 2C, personally. The Backes comparisons definitely aren’t off base, either— especially to his younger self.

The good thing for Frederic is that he’s much more athletic and agile than even a young David Backes was. Not a knock on Backes, of course.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
J Zboril already has pretty good size(6ft 201lbs) and will get bigger..two-way defenseman great strength plays with edge what the bruins brass look for.good skating ability with high energy.I think bruins are looking for him to impress in training camp

Zboril is listed as 6'2"

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
NHL Combine 2015: Full Results, Measurements, Highlights and Top Prospects

The Bruins drafted players from this 2015 combine list:
Zboril - 6'0.75" - 184
DeBrusk - 5'11.75" - 174
Senyshyn - 6'1" - 192
Carlo - 6'5" - 196
Forsbacka-Karlsson - 6'0.75" - 190
Lauzon - 6'1.75" - 193
Vladar - 6'5.25" - 185
Gabrielle - 5'10.75" - 205

2016 NHL Draft Combine Heights and Weights

The Bruins drafted players (minus traded Lindgren) from this 2016 combine list:
McAvoy - 6'0.25" - 199.3
Frederic - 6'1.75" - 203.98 (why they didn't just round up to 204 lbs, I don't know)

Now, some players do continue to grow so any of these 2015/2016 players could be taller now.

Last year's development camp saw Frederic check in at 6'3".

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
NHL Combine 2015: Full Results, Measurements, Highlights and Top Prospects

The Bruins drafted players from this 2015 combine list:
Zboril - 6'0.75" - 184
DeBrusk - 5'11.75" - 174
Senyshyn - 6'1" - 192
Carlo - 6'5" - 196
Forsbacka-Karlsson - 6'0.75" - 190
Lauzon - 6'1.75" - 193
Vladar - 6'5.25" - 185
Gabrielle - 5'10.75" - 205

2016 NHL Draft Combine Heights and Weights

The Bruins drafted players (minus traded Lindgren) from this 2016 combine list:
McAvoy - 6'0.25" - 199.3
Frederic - 6'1.75" - 203.98 (why they didn't just round up to 204 lbs, I don't know)

Now, some players do continue to grow so any of these 2015/2016 players could be taller now.

Last year's development camp saw Frederic check in at 6'3".

Providence has Zboril listed at 6'2. Senyshyn has grown as well, listed at 6'3. They also have Frederic listed at 6'5.

TheAHL.com

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Providence has Zboril listed at 6'2. Senyshyn has grown as well, listed at 6'3. They also have Frederic listed at 6'5.

TheAHL.com
Sweeney came out and talked about Frederic growing an inch to 6'3" during last years camp conferences. That basically confirms the Combine numbers and states what his current size is. So I would be doubtful of the AHL heights listed. I have no problem rounding those 3/4" numbers up so Zboril is 6'1" at combine size and we can call DeBrusk 6'. Did Zboril also grow another inch? Did Senyshyn grow 2"? I'm doubtful.

BruinsNetwork

TheAHL.com

Speaking from personal experience, I don’t think Frederic is 6’5”. I’d say he’s about 6’3” and that’s accurate. I’m 5’10” and from the times we chatted in Providence, he was much taller than me. A friend of mine is 6’3” as well and the height difference seemed to be the same.

Same goes for Lauzon who I think is taller than 6’1”. I’ve seen him listed at 6’3” before and that also seems about accurate, but it’s hard to tell. What I do know is that he appears to be taller than 6’1” — that’s for sure.

Zboril is above average, but not the tallest guy I’ve met in Providence. If someone told me he was 6’1” I’d believe them.

Senyshyn is quite tall as well. I’d say he’s around 6’2” to be honest.

I’m not a doctor and I’m not either of these players, so I don’t know how accurate their heights are in accordance to how they are listed.

With that being said, none of these players are lacking in the height & size department. Especially Frederic & Lauzon.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Yup I would expect a trade or two, one to move back into the first round another to fill one of the holes that they have no prospects for (3rd line center, 2nd line rw, size and grit in the bottom 6 and a big left D), while some of those needs can be filled in free agency the plethora of prospects provides an opportunity to shop for established talent.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Yup I would expect a trade or two, one to move back into the first round another to fill one of the holes that they have no prospects for (3rd line center, 2nd line rw, size and grit in the bottom 6 and a big left D), while some of those needs can be filled in free agency the plethora of prospects provides an opportunity to shop for established talent.

Agree and disagree.

I think prospects will be dealt this offseason, with the number being determined by how much change the B’s want. If they are looking for a legit Top LD, it will be costly, and I would expect at least one of the young guys with NHL experience to go (DeBrusk, Heinen, Bjork, Grizz).

If the Bruins just want to move back into the bottom of the first round or top of the second, it will be one of the AHL prospects (Cehlarik, Fitz, etc).

I disagree about the need for 3C prospects, unless you mean guys that are definitely ready right now. Frederic, Studnicka, JFK, Kuraly are all guys that could fill the 3C role.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Agree and disagree.

I think prospects will be dealt this offseason, with the number being determined by how much change the B’s want. If they are looking for a legit Top LD, it will be costly, and I would expect at least one of the young guys with NHL experience to go (DeBrusk, Heinen, Bjork, Grizz).

If the Bruins just want to move back into the bottom of the first round or top of the second, it will be one of the AHL prospects (Cehlarik, Fitz, etc).

I disagree about the need for 3C prospects, unless you mean guys that are definitely ready right now. Frederic, Studnicka, JFK, Kuraly are all guys that could fill the 3C role.
I agree one of them probably will be a good third line center in a few years I was thinking about next year.

Reactions: Blowfish

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Agree and disagree.

I think if a trade happens, it’ll be for a D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad