Prospect Info: Bruins Prospect Thread Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Went to the BU games versus UMASS Lowell last night . Paid a lot of attention to JFK, Grzelcyk and kids like Jordan Greenway and Charlie McAvoy.

UMASS Lowell is a really tough, defensive team with one of the top goalies in the league...and scoring coming from a lot of different guys. This was also a key matchup with two teams trying to gain momentum going into the playoffs. You could see quite quickly that BU was the younger, smaller, faster team and they Lowell was bigger, stronger in possession and in the neutral zone. The first two periods were a chess match, but the scoring eventually opened up in the third. BU won the game on a goal by Jordan Greenway in a tipped wrist shot from Grzelcyk.

JFK is a young, talented player with a lot of upside but who will need at least another two years in NCAA before he makes the leap to the AHL. Dave Quinn uses JFK is every situation, especially for key face offs...where he is a dominant performer. As many of you know, he plays a classic two way game, but is currently leaning a bit more to the defensive side of the puck. His positioning and play without the puck is excellent. You can tell he has an extremely high IQ. However, he plays a passive, unselfish game with the puck. He could definitely hold on to the puck a bit more. He also had one shot on the game. Some folks compare him to #37. In a sense , he does play a smart positional game like Patrice. JFK has a lot of work to do with his offensive game if he wants to play on a top 6 six line. The good news is...the upside is definitely there. It will just take time. I personally am seeing more of a Jere Lehtinen style game...if JFk can up his compete level a bit.

As for Matt Grzelcyk....he is clearly BU's best defensiveman...and was paired with future first rounder, Clarlie McAvoy. He plays such a smart,,slick game and was eventually responsible,for the game winning goal in OT. He is already a better skater than Torey Krug. Perhaps his shot isn't as strong, but his playmaking ability is right up there.

McAvoy is an electrifying player on his own. Definitely a pure offensive, skating defenseman. He is a bit of a cowboy and takes plenty of risks, so he would need to be paired with a stat at home d...but man, the kid can skate and make plays.

Jordan Greenway is beginning to dominate. He is huge and aggressive. And he loves the game. His is a menace in front of the net and in the corners. He also has great hand eye coordination. Wish the B's could make a deal for hm down the road.

Anyways, it was a great game. Only one or two more regular season games left.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
No love for Sean Kuraly?

Capt Miami of Ohio, 6'2" 205, 28gp - 6g/13a, 31pts, +4

It's hard to remember to love all of our prospects individually, there are so many good ones he supposedly has a great defensive game on top of his production too. But I have to ask how did he get 31 points out of 6g and 13a?

indy

Oct 18, 2015
It's hard to remember to love all of our prospects individually, there are so many good ones he supposedly has a great defensive game on top of his production too. But I have to ask how did he get 31 points out of 6g and 13a?

He is just that good! :laugh:

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
I've seen some questioning him because he hasn't been surpassing his pace from last year.

It's important to add context though. Last year Jake played on a team that didn't have any offensive depth at all. His line (with 20 year olds Colby Cave & Coda Gordon) was logging close to 30 minutes a game once you factor in all the special teams, clutch situations, 4 X 4, OT etc. His roll in Red Deer is more balanced. I would say if he equals his production with on a more balanced team in Red Deer, that would signify progression. Plus he is developing his overall game, where his job in Swift Current leaned a little heavier to the offense.

This is awesome rainone. Thank you for your efforts on this. Hope you keep it coming.

Carlo vs DeBrusk tonight head to head.

Should be a good one.

Got my popcorn all ready. Should be a blast!

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA

His goals were from outside the 3 point stripe....:naughty:

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Two helpers for Heinen tonight, as Denver completes the sweep of UND. Bigs wins for Den as they had fallen pretty far down in the rankings a couple weeks ago, these wins should pretty much ensure they make the tournament

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
WHL Update

Carlo, played even up in his teams win over the Rebels. A very quiet yet super effective game by the big man. His team is still officially out of a playoff spot, but they have been playing really well. They are a big mean team that could really wear another team out in a 7 game series. They are only 3 points out of a playoff spot with 17 games remaining and have been winning games, so his arrival in Providence may be slightly delayed.

Debrusk was shuffled to the 3rd line in today's game due to 20 year old Luke Philp's return to health and a re-shuffling of Sutters deck. Suffering a 5-2 loss I don't imagine these new lines will stay intact too long, Hopefully Jake is put back with Helewka, as those two have some amazing chemistry. The last time they separated Jake and Helewka, Jake went on a 7 game slide with just one point and the team struggled to .500 hockey. Obviously, not good enough for a Memorial Cup host.

Gabrielle with another 2 point night. Now 20 points in his last 11 games and 67 on the season. He sits 10th in WHL scoring, 2nd in goals. He leads his team in goals and is just 3 assists off the team lead in apples too. Listening to the Prince George broadcast yesterday, they were interviewing a newly signed rookie who had just joined the team for the rest of the season as an affiliate player. He was telling the interviewer what a great place Prince George was, the city, the organization, the scenery etc. Said the team had really embraced him. The interviewer prodded him, "which Cougar or Cougars took the lead and made you feel so welcome. Tell our listeners who the leaders are on this team", to which the kid immediately replied, "Jesse Gabrielle. He came up to me immediately and showed me around. Made me feel welcome."

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
Went to the BU games versus UMASS Lowell last night . Paid a lot of attention to JFK, Grzelcyk and kids like Jordan Greenway and Charlie McAvoy.

UMASS Lowell is a really tough, defensive team with one of the top goalies in the league...and scoring coming from a lot of different guys. This was also a key matchup with two teams trying to gain momentum going into the playoffs. You could see quite quickly that BU was the younger, smaller, faster team and they Lowell was bigger, stronger in possession and in the neutral zone. The first two periods were a chess match, but the scoring eventually opened up in the third. BU won the game on a goal by Jordan Greenway in a tipped wrist shot from Grzelcyk.

JFK is a young, talented player with a lot of upside but who will need at least another two years in NCAA before he makes the leap to the AHL. Dave Quinn uses JFK is every situation, especially for key face offs...where he is a dominant performer. As many of you know, he plays a classic two way game, but is currently leaning a bit more to the defensive side of the puck. His positioning and play without the puck is excellent. You can tell he has an extremely high IQ. However, he plays a passive, unselfish game with the puck. He could definitely hold on to the puck a bit more. He also had one shot on the game. Some folks compare him to #37. In a sense , he does play a smart positional game like Patrice. JFK has a lot of work to do with his offensive game if he wants to play on a top 6 six line. The good news is...the upside is definitely there. It will just take time. I personally am seeing more of a Jere Lehtinen style game...if JFk can up his compete level a bit.

As for Matt Grzelcyk....he is clearly BU's best defensiveman...and was paired with future first rounder, Clarlie McAvoy. He plays such a smart,,slick game and was eventually responsible,for the game winning goal in OT. He is already a better skater than Torey Krug. Perhaps his shot isn't as strong, but his playmaking ability is right up there.

McAvoy is an electrifying player on his own. Definitely a pure offensive, skating defenseman. He is a bit of a cowboy and takes plenty of risks, so he would need to be paired with a stat at home d...but man, the kid can skate and make plays.

Jordan Greenway is beginning to dominate. He is huge and aggressive. And he loves the game. His is a menace in front of the net and in the corners. He also has great hand eye coordination. Wish the B's could make a deal for hm down the road.

Anyways, it was a great game. Only one or two more regular season games left.

Nice write up. It'll be interesting to see if Krug and Grzelcyk can play in the same NHL team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad