Prospect Info: Bruins Prospect Thread Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
he`ll be fine, not like we`ve never seen/heard this before, it`s not great news but not earth shattering either. What wasn`t mentioned is how putrid the Sea Dogs start to the season was and while Zboril and his game weren`t helping, he was far from the only player on that roster playing well below expectations

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
he`ll be fine, not like we`ve never seen/heard this before, it`s not great news but not earth shattering either. What wasn`t mentioned is how putrid the Sea Dogs start to the season was and while Zboril and his game weren`t helping, he was far from the only player on that roster playing well below expectations

Do you mean that this has been said of Zboril before? It's one thing to be playing poorly; it's quite another to have an insolent, diva-like attitude to go with it.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

With all due respect Andrew, how the Sea Dogs started out should have no bearing in regards to a players attitude. While I will agree with the fact that it could affect stats you never, ever give up on your team no matter what. Speaks to character. This isn't about his play, but about attitude. (Which is what I like about Senyshyn because even 5 goals down, he never gives up and puts his body on the line - until the final buzzer)

That said, I've never met him. But I have met players with the so called "diva attitude". They are easy to spot. People I have a great deal of respect for mentioned it to me well before the draft so I believe them.

Can it be corrected? Sure. If he's willing to change. But the fact that it happened this season isn't a good signal that anything is changing.

Those same people tell me that they think his attitude will change so I believe that as well. But it shouldn't be brushed aside that it's still going on.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
With all due respect Andrew, how the Sea Dogs started out should have no bearing in regards to a players attitude. While I will agree with the fact that it could affect stats you never, ever give up on your team no matter what. Speaks to character. This isn't about his play, but about attitude. (Which is what I like about Senyshyn because even 5 goals down, he never gives up and puts his body on the line - until the final buzzer)

That said, I've never met him. But I have met players with the so called "diva attitude". They are easy to spot. People I have a great deal of respect for mentioned it to me well before the draft so I believe them.

Can it be corrected? Sure. If he's willing to change. But the fact that it happened this season isn't a good signal that anything is changing.

Those same people tell me that they think his attitude will change so I believe that as well. But it shouldn't be brushed aside that it's still going on.

Agree Dom, but will add young players with these type of flaws can change with the correct guidance and good coaching. It will be interesting to see how his coach handles this.

I would guess the Bruins brass knew this to be a "problem" with this kid before they made him their first pick in the draft. So I have confidence It can be fixed.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Agree Dom, but will add young players with these type of flaws can change with the correct guidance and good coaching. It will be interesting to see how his coach handles this.

I would guess the Bruins brass knew this to be a "problem" with this kid before they made him their first pick in the draft. So I have confidence It can be fixed.

I will agree that a players attitude can change over time and under the right situation. But we also have seen that no matter what, it doesn't.

I would argue that by the time a player reaches Major Junior, his "team attitude" is already developed by his Bantam coach. It's where they learn the team concept. And judging by that article, this is what this all about, not the talent.

I would also argue that when it comes to general character, that billet families have a greater impact on these players than do any coaches. I've seen players who end up with some solid family and it rubs off on them - which is why Junior teams go through an extensive interview process just to become a billet family.

I look at coaches like Alan Andrews who runs Rip Tide hockey in PEI who has trained some elite players like Sydney Crosby, Nathan MacKinnon, Brad Richards, Michael Ryder, and including our own Adam McQuaid and Brad Marchand before they reached Junior. He's all about attitude and character and is strict as strict can be. Parents who go on road trips aren't even allowed to drink alcohol. Scotty Bowman once said every team should have an Alan Andrews.

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site

I've seen this happen with Dion Phaneuf, Ian White, and Devon Setoguchi.

These guys are all uber talented and come back and act like ********** on ice and I'm assuming off it too. But what do you expect? They are better than the guys they are playing with and against and it's not fun or easy to say just go out there and do your thing. You can look at it as a character flaw but that swagger is likely something that seperates them from others their age too.

I know those 3 names don't show instant NHL success but Getzlaf I guess is a good example that was/is of the same ilk and turned out fine.

I really think they need to look into letting NHL teams have 1/2 18 year olds play in the AHL with some kind of exception.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
From the stories I've heard from former teammates in Halifax and Moncton, Mr.Marchand had quite the Diva attitude. He also has a drive to win that is unmatched by many. I wouldn't write off Zboril yet, but the rumour certainly is troublesome.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Speaking of Zboril, eventful game yesterday in a win vs Val-d'Or.

He had a goal, 5 shots, 3 hits, was +1, and had 6 PIM's. Two for cross-checking, two for Interference, and two for Interference from the Bench...whatever that means :laugh:

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Speaking of Zboril, eventful game yesterday in a win vs Val-d'Or.

He had a goal, 5 shots, 3 hits, was +1, and had 6 PIM's. Two for cross-checking, two for Interference, and two for Interference from the Bench...whatever that means :laugh:
Sounds like Marchand. :)

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
From the stories I've heard from former teammates in Halifax and Moncton, Mr.Marchand had quite the Diva attitude. He also has a drive to win that is unmatched by many. I wouldn't write off Zboril yet, but the rumour certainly is troublesome.

That's the most troubling part of the story- that it displayed a lack of the drive to win. Hopefully he grows up a bit because that ain't going to fly in the pros at any level really.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/hoc...-in-denver-loss-at-bc-chris-calnan-miles-wood

There was no shortage of NHL prospects on display, including Pioneers super sophomore Danton Heinen, who had two goals and an assist. His long, seemingly effortless stride gives him great food speed. The 2014 fourth round selection of the Boston Bruins was around the puck all night and a constant threat to do something dynamic each shift.

On his first goal he picked up the puck at the left circle, patiently holding onto it until he had BC goaltender Thatcher Demko down and out. He roofed a backhander into the top shelf. His second strike of the night came on the power play. After receiving a pass at the right circle, he wasted no time in getting off a quick shot that went right above Demko's glove in no time. He had the primary assist on Will Butcher's power play goal in the third period.

"This is by far the best game he's played this year. He's a special player. He just makes everyone on the ice better. He puts pucks to areas that people can skate into. You saw the skill on the two goals," said Montgomery

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I like special players that make everyone better. I'm thinking he's going to be a center in Boston and possesses 37/46 characteristics on the ice. If he turns into even 99% of those two it will lessen the sting of passing on The Great Barzal three times

In full disclosure I wanted Barzal

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site

Another great example....

It is nice to have guys that are loved by all and walk the line but it just isn't realistic. People are unique and if he wants to play with snarl and be a cocky ******* that's his thing. The make or break will be when it comes to put his money where is attitude is and prove it with his work ethic to be the best when he becomes a pro.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Fair enough, I`m not usually as quick to dismiss a kid who`s making ill advised decisions as quick as some here and while there are red flags to keep a close eye on here, my biggest learning lesson came from the B`s own Brad Marchand, someone in this post mentioned "Diva", he was far worse than that. His on and off ice behavior was well documented and it got that bad he was a healthy scratch against the Gatineau Olympiques in the playoffs after giving up a King`s ransom to get him.

My bitter resentment towards him forced me to exclaim loudly here the kid would be a bum outta the game by 21

Oops:shakehead

Since then, I`ve done my best to accept an 18 year old kid`s actions won`t always necessarily translate into a career that follows the same path, now, let`s talk about Senyshyn`s failed fitness test:) <<<<< 110% being sarcastic, love hearing about this kid

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
Seems like a weird thing to do when you know your every move is being scrutinised by your NHL club. Ah well, what are ya gonna do. I was an idiot when I was 18 so I can't really comment.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
I was still an idiot into my 30`s:laugh:

Likewise my friend :laugh:

I see that Lauzon has set a Huskies record for points in consecutive games. He now has 24 points in 15 games, with 21 assists. To put that in context, he had 21 assists and 36 points in 60 games last year. He's playing on a good team but the kid has flat out gone into beast mode

BigBadBruins63*

Likewise my friend :laugh:

I see that Lauzon has set a Huskies record for points in consecutive games. He now has 24 points in 15 games, with 21 assists. To put that in context, he had 21 assists and 36 points in 60 games last year. He's playing on a good team but the kid has flat out gone into beast mode

Lauzon; the next PK subban.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Watched Lauzon live Thursday night. Only one game, but I don't think he's that type of defenseman. Not going to be rushing the puck from zone to zone. Looked smooth and smart on the PP. Though he wasn't exactly QB'ing it, everything did run through him. Unloaded a couple of rockets from the point that both missed the net wide by a few feet. Was more impressed by his polish in all three zones than I was his pure offense. He's not sacrificing on one end to generate at the other. His game was much more mature than I was expecting. I've seen defenseman put up big numbers in this league and many of them resemble something closer the rover. I know he's lighting up the score sheet, but I think his style is more like Alex Edler or someone of that ilk. Maybe John Carlson. Just the one game, but that vibe I got.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad