Bruins Off Season II

Status
Not open for further replies.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I appreciate the kind words guys.

To answer your question I would have to know specifically which Dman we're talking about. Lindholm should be our most untouchable player and I don't see anything that lines up there. Having just signed a solid long term deal I would assume Vatanen is off the table for the time being.

If we're talking Fowler, I really think the Spooner + Senyshyn deal proposed by Coach Parker yesterday is exactly in line with what the Ducks should be looking for. We save roughly $3M, get some immediate help on offense and add some much needed scoring to the system. The Ducks organization is badly in need of some scoring punch, our stable of forward prospects isn't all that impressive and is mostly made up of powerforwards, playmakers and two way guys (Ritchie, Jones, Nattinen and Steel being our top guys). Rather than accepting a lesser prospect + 1st as the addition, if I was our GM I would be adamant about Senyshyn being included (even if it meant we add a lesser piece coming back for balance).

Then again, as I mentioned in the other thread, I first took notice of Senyshyn during his draft year and was absolutely bullish about his potential going into the draft. Had a few arguments with other Ducks fans who didn't see him as 1st round material but I badly wanted him if he had fallen to us at 27 (Larsson is looking studly so we made out just fine anyway). So maybe other Ducks fans and our brass aren't as big on him as I am, but they should be given the way he has progressed.

I'd give Spooner and Senyshyn for Fowler. Absolutely. And truth is, that also feels like it could hurt a little as Senyshyn could definitely be a quality player. But we are desperate for D, and Spooner became a bit redundant with the Backes add. When a deal feels like it could hurt, it's probably close to fair. Let's get this done. Get the GM's on the phone.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
I'd give Spooner and Senyshyn for Fowler. Absolutely. And truth is, that also feels like it could hurt a little as Senyshyn could definitely be a quality player. But we are desperate for D, and Spooner became a bit redundant with the Backes add. When a deal feels like it could hurt, it's probably close to fair. Let's get this done. Get the GM's on the phone.

Agreed.

You have to give to get.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
spooner is probably the most movable and intriguing piece for a lot teams. he's a near 50pt centerman with loads of offensive potential. teams know the B's play a tough defensive game and can probably see fitting spooner into their 2nd line without as much defensive pressure on him. which makes him a little more enticing for other teams.

I just don't think that's going to get you much of anything. If we are looking for an impact defenseman then Pastrnak is a given in the deal. The + portion would be a Vatrano/Spooner/McAvoy type prospect I would think.

Anything we can get for less than that is probably not worth getting. Just let the young guys play and develop and take our chances that way.

Though the Spooner/Senyshyn deal for Fowler that was proposed seems like it might strike the balance. If we could go Spooner/DeBrusk or Spooner/Zboril even better, as RW is the one spot we just don't have a lot of depth. If we can fix the D while keeping Pastrnak & Senyshyn that would ideal.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I just don't think that's going to get you much of anything. If we are looking for an impact defenseman then Pastrnak is a given in the deal. The + portion would be a Vatrano/Spooner/McAvoy type prospect I would think.

Anything we can get for less than that is probably not worth getting. Just let the young guys play and develop and take our chances that way.

Though the Spooner/Senyshyn deal for Fowler that was proposed seems like it might strike the balance. If we could go Spooner/DeBrusk or Spooner/Zboril even better, as RW is the one spot we just don't have a lot of depth. If we can fix the D while keeping Pastrnak & Senyshyn that would ideal.

Probably not. I feel as thought there are targets on the B's overall roster that WILL get them that 1-3 defenseman and Sweeney knows it. Problem is, he can't pay that price. Teams want and expect an overpayment for these guys and nothing less will do. Right now it feels like Donny is biding his time to see if something happens. Someone on the B's (Spooner, Vatrano etc) REALLY stands out and tears it up and whomever team says "okay, we'll take both of them PLUS PLUS.... Donny is obviously trying to avoid that scenario but in all honesty you have to overpay to get what you want and IMO he's waiting it out until the eleventh hour hoping for that elusive phone call.

The other possibility is if Krejci heals from this latest hip surgery, shows that he's 100% and agrees to go in a trade. Unlikely but stranger things have happened.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Donny, also has to look at things like what he got for Hamilton. If he turns out dealing more to get a Shattenkirk, then he got for Hamilton, then he really is going to look the the king of fools.

If he gives up Senyshyn, Spooner and a #2 for KS (or even Fowler), then he should sit in a Dunce cap in the lobby at the Garden for opening night while people hurl insults at him. As he will have given up a season, and now more talent for a less gifted player than he dealt.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Donny, also has to look at things like what he got for Hamilton. If he turns out dealing more to get a Shattenkirk, then he got for Hamilton, then he really is going to look the the king of fools.

If he gives up Senyshyn, Spooner and a #2 for KS (or even Fowler), then he should sit in a Dunce cap in the lobby at the Garden for opening night while people hurl insults at him. As he will have given up a season, and now more talent for a less gifted player than he dealt.

While it may be true that he may give more than he got for Hamilton, that shouldn't influence him on making future moves except to be more cautious. He NEEDS to make a move, but if he's going to be constantly in fear of making trades to please the masses he needs to just hang it up. He has to do what he thinks has to be done, the past be damned.

Index

Fillmore, I'm on it!
Mar 24, 2013
Would you guys do Torey Krug for Olli Julovi straight up?

NHL Experience vs NHL Hype

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012

I don't think the Bruins would re-sign Krug just to trade him as there would be negative consequences for doing so. Also, the Bruins are not rebuilding, and if they were, I don't see a reason to trade Krug to get younger when Krug is only 25.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

nope, I take the guy I`ve seen compete against NHL competition and done very well at 8 days a week before a kid who`s laced them up 0 times at the NHL level (when it comes to this particular case)

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Backes won't let the team turtle down the stretch, or at least he will blow a gasket trying to prevent it. I'm glad they got a rahrah in-your-face kind of leader...it doesn't seem that they necessarily had those guys the last few years.

But he let StL turtle in the playoffs repeatedly.

EVERY team has rah-rah guys. Good ones, bad ones, teams that overachieve, teams that underachieve, teams that win Cups, teams that finish last.

Toews is as good a "leader" as there is. His team choked last year. The 2009-10 team had Chara, Bergeron, Recchi, Thornton, Boychuk, Begin, Stuart... all guys that were considered good leaders and some who were captains on other teams and at other levels. Yet they had an epic collapse in the playoffs blowing a 3-0 game lead and a 3-0 lead in game 7.

Does leadership have zero value? No, and I'm not saying that. I'm saying that the value of it is greatly overstated and to give a large and long contract to someone in order to get it is overvaluing it.

Pay for production. You can find good leaders cheap.

HeartsAlive

Apr 11, 2013
It's been almost 2 full calendar years since Johnny Boychuk was traded. Pretty much every day since then, I've been expecting some kind of improvement to come along for the blue line. Instead the Bruins traded Dougie, traded for Liles and extended McQuaid and KMiller to nearly identical absurd contracts. If any help is on the horizon, at this point I'm almost certain it's already in house and likely 2-3 years away. Brad Marchand is still not extended and the Bruins added 6 million against the cap on a 32 year old player. It's hard not to look at this offseason as a disappointment at best and it may even prove to be a train wreck.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
It's been almost 2 full calendar years since Johnny Boychuk was traded. Pretty much every day since then, I've been expecting some kind of improvement to come along for the blue line. Instead the Bruins traded Dougie, traded for Liles and extended McQuaid and KMiller to nearly identical absurd contracts. If any help is on the horizon, at this point I'm almost certain it's already in house and likely 2-3 years away. Brad Marchand is still not extended and the Bruins added 6 million against the cap on a 32 year old player. It's hard not to look at this offseason as a disappointment at best and it may even prove to be a train wreck.

The pessimist in me agrees with you.

The optimist in me... agrees with you too. Except we may have more time left.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
But he let StL turtle in the playoffs repeatedly.

EVERY team has rah-rah guys. Good ones, bad ones, teams that overachieve, teams that underachieve, teams that win Cups, teams that finish last.

Toews is as good a "leader" as there is. His team choked last year. The 2009-10 team had Chara, Bergeron, Recchi, Thornton, Boychuk, Begin, Stuart... all guys that were considered good leaders and some who were captains on other teams and at other levels. Yet they had an epic collapse in the playoffs blowing a 3-0 game lead and a 3-0 lead in game 7.

Does leadership have zero value? No, and I'm not saying that. I'm saying that the value of it is greatly overstated and to give a large and long contract to someone in order to get it is overvaluing it.

:yo: -Cosigned

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Matt Benning signs ELC with EDM.

I was asleep at the wheel on this one. For some reason, I thought he had another year of eligibility. Him not being at DC was not a good sign, but I assumed he had another year with NU. I know there is some rule about NCAA juniors that do a year of prep or USHL in lieu of their freshman season being able to become free agents. Maybe he took advantage of that?

Not surprised it's EDM. Chia is familiar with him and the Oil don't have a ton of D prospects. Probably why he didnt want to sign with the B's. VAN was probably out because I can't imagine your Dad being GM would make you a popular guy.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Disapointed the Bruins weren't in on Hudler. I would have doubled what he's getting from Dallas to make it done on a 1y deal. Either he would have helped the Bruins make the playoffs or be traded to a contender at the deadline for picks/prospects. That was a win-win signing.

Guess Sweeney still in his off-season coma...

Or (Occam's Razor) he disagrees with you...

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you

Spot on Q. We aren't falling short because we lack leadership. We are falling short because we lack talent in key areas. We have enough leaders. We need to add producers, particularly on the defensive side.

HeartsAlive

Apr 11, 2013
Boychuk was more than unimpressive this season. FWIW.

I've heard that, and I also certainly didn't want any part of the contract that he signed. But the point was more that he still hasn't been replaced, not what he's ended up becoming.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Spot on Q. We aren't falling short because we lack leadership. We are falling short because we lack talent in key areas. We have enough leaders. We need to add producers, particularly on the defensive side.

I'd say a better focused and lead team wouldn't fade down the stretch the way they have the last two years at the least. Nor would they come out and put on the absolute stinkers they did in the big games last year.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Matt Benning signs ELC with EDM.

I was asleep at the wheel on this one. For some reason, I thought he had another year of eligibility. Him not being at DC was not a good sign, but I assumed he had another year with NU. I know there is some rule about NCAA juniors that do a year of prep or USHL in lieu of their freshman season being able to become free agents. Maybe he took advantage of that?

Not surprised it's EDM. Chia is familiar with him and the Oil don't have a ton of D prospects. Probably why he didnt want to sign with the B's. VAN was probably out because I can't imagine your Dad being GM would make you a popular guy.

That's what happened with Benning. If a player leaves college before their senior season then the team holds that player's rights until the later of the 4th June 1st following his draft, or 30 days after the player notifies the NHL that they have withdrawn from school. I haven't seen a media report on precisely when Benning left school. He might have been a UFA since June 1st, maybe later if he withdrew from school in May or after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00