Bruins Off Season II

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
So Pastrnak & McAvoy for Trouba? I don't think Winnipeg would consider anything less

McAvoy has a good chance to be better than Trouba when it's all said & done. I wouldn't trade Pasta OR McAvoy for Troube 1 for 1, let alone both of them.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
McAvoy has a good chance to be better than Trouba.
They all do ... until they don't.

I wouldn't trade Pasta OR McAvoy for Troube 1 for 1, let alone both of them.
Then you're not that serious about bringing in a top pairing D-man, because that's the going rate at the minimum.

A poster posed the question earlier, "are you willing to lose a deal now to upgrade the D?" Unfortunately, that's what it's likely going to take.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

Then you're not that serious about bringing in a top pairing D-man, because that's the going rate at the minimum.

A poster posed the question earlier, "are you willing to lose a deal now to upgrade the D?" Unfortunately, that's what it's likely going to take.

I mean...I'm not one of those banging the "bring in a top pairing D" drum anyway, so it's not like I'm being hypocritical. I think they won't be able to trade for a true top pairing guy, and certainly not for a "Chara replacement" without gutting the team in some other area. I'd much rather they keep their home-grown guys. Look around the league at the best defensemen. The majority of them are still with the team that drafted them. Subban and Weber are exceptional in that they were traded for each other 1-for-1.

Trading a McAvoy for Trouba feels to me like it could play out a lot like an Erik Johnson/Shattenkirk or Goligoski/Niskanen trade where the team getting the younger asset ends up with the better player in the end.

Shattenkirk is probably the most reasonable target to go after but I don't think he's quite at the level where he shores up the D for years to come.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Florida just moved a higher pick than MacAvoy in a deeper draft year just to dump cap. I love our prospects as much as anyone, but they are all just lotto tickets right now and expendable assets.

I don't think that's a fair analysis. For starters we're comparing a winger to a defenseman. Regardless of draft position I think a high end D prospect trumps a high end wing. Also, maybe the draft was deeper overall, but this draft was extremely deep at defense in the first round. McAvoy might have gone higher if he was drafted last year instead of this year even if it was a deeper draft overall (for example, McAvoy almost certainly would have gone ahead of Zboril if he was a 2015 draftee). Lastly, who cares? The Panthers were forced to give up way too early on a real good prospect because they signed Bolland to an awful contract. That doesn't mean the Bruins should be any more willing to cut bait on a stud like McAvoy.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
So Pastrnak & McAvoy for Trouba? I don't think Winnipeg would consider anything less

Trouba isn't worth that. Plus management needs to be careful moving pasta in my opinion he's one of the few bright spots they've had this season and their ability to handle young prospects well is sketchy at best...

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
What about Darnell Nurse? Would Colin Miller + (prospect and/or pick) be enough for him?

It seems like Sweeney likes him since he asked for him in the return from Edmonton for Hamilton. Edmonton also has Klefbom, Sekera, and Davidson playing on the left-side which may lead to Nurse playing on the right-side or even potentially in the AHL. We also heard Chiarelli was still looking to add another top 4 RHD even after he traded Hall for Larsson. I think Nurse can give the Bruins around 20 minutes of ice time, and the Bruins can go with Chara - Krug, Nurse - Miller or Chara - Nurse, Krug - Miller as a top 4.

So could it work for both teams? The only thing I'm hesitant about is if Sweeney and Chiarelli would be willing to trade with each other, but from my perspective, I think it's a move that can benefit both teams.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
McAvoy has a good chance to be better than Trouba when it's all said & done. I wouldn't trade Pasta OR McAvoy for Troube 1 for 1, let alone both of them.

I wouldn't do the deal either but this is a often seen case where we overvalue our guys and undervalue someone else's

Pasta alone wouldn't get you trouba and MaCavoy hasn't played a single pro game yet

Personally Id try Zboril, Spooner, and a 1st or higher level prospect the jets like over a pick and then go from there (knowing that starting package likely won't get you trouba)

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
another thing about not wanting to trade Pasta is this: The reason the Bruins have so little defensive depth is because they drafted so poorly during Chia's tenure. Pasta is one of the rare Chia picks (outside of Seguin and Hamilton no-brainers) to pan out and potentially be a top level NHL talent. Dumping one of our only good draft picks in the last 5 years just to fill a hole left by poor drafting will end up being a wash at best IMO. I'd much rather fix the drafting and build on what we do have.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I mean...I'm not one of those banging the "bring in a top pairing D" drum anyway, so it's not like I'm being hypocritical. I think they won't be able to trade for a true top pairing guy, and certainly not for a "Chara replacement" without gutting the team in some other area. I'd much rather they keep their home-grown guys. Look around the league at the best defensemen. The majority of them are still with the team that drafted them. Subban and Weber are exceptional in that they were traded for each other 1-for-1.

Trading a McAvoy for Trouba feels to me like it could play out a lot like an Erik Johnson/Shattenkirk or Goligoski/Niskanen trade where the team getting the younger asset ends up with the better player in the end.

Shattenkirk is probably the most reasonable target to go after but I don't think he's quite at the level where he shores up the D for years to come.

Couldn't agree more. But the reason I want Shattenkirk is because he allows the team to compete in the next 1-2 years until young D start stepping in. And he has the added benefit of being a RHD, which allows Chara and Krug to stay in the top two pairs. Further, the cost might be high but it shouldn't be Pastrnak-type high.

I think though that somehow the narrative has shifted a bit from getting a legit top 4 guy to getting a top 1-2. A top 1-2 isn't coming via trade, if I had to bet. Maybe you steal a young guy and get lucky, but unlikely. That was probably the strategy Sweeney had when he dealt for Chiller. But a solid #3 like Shattenkirk can anchor a 2nd pair or make for an excellent 1st pair with Chara. As would Trouba, whom I also doubt ever becomes a legit #1. The only guy I see out there who's probably a legit #1 in time who may be available is Lindholm, and if he is available I bet plenty of other teams have more assets to give than Boston. As much as Boston needs this kind of guy they just don't have the NHL talent to compete in a trade.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
What about Darnell Nurse? Would Colin Miller + (prospect and/or pick) be enough for him?

It seems like Sweeney likes him since he asked for him in the return from Edmonton for Hamilton. Edmonton also has Klefbom, Sekera, and Davidson playing on the left-side which may lead to Nurse playing on the right-side or even potentially in the AHL. We also heard Chiarelli was still looking to add another top 4 RHD even after he traded Hall for Larsson. I think Nurse can give the Bruins around 20 minutes of ice time, and the Bruins can go with Chara - Krug, Nurse - Miller or Chara - Nurse, Krug - Miller as a top 4.

So could it work for both teams? The only thing I'm hesitant about is if Sweeney and Chiarelli would be willing to trade with each other, but from my perspective, I think it's a move that can benefit both teams.

Has he fallen that far that quick?

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan

He probably is serious, but since Truba is nat a top pairing dman, at least not yet, no way do the Bs give up those two for Truba. Everyone wants the Bs to get better on the back end, but I sure wouldn't sell the future for a bandaid fix at this point an time. They have at least four quality Dmen in the system, just very young, so unless they can get a true number one dman just stay the course and play the young guys.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Makes no sense for Winnipeg to trade Trouba for Pastrnak.

Makes no sense for Boston to trade Pastrnak for Trouba.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009

Think that also depends on your opinion of Trouba. He's not exactly a unanimous can't miss #1 guy at this point. Many have him pegged as a quality 2nd pair guy but not one that's going to carry the mail.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
Regardless of draft position I think a high end D prospect trumps a high end wing.

History doesn't support this statement.

There have been much fewer wingers bust as top 15 NHL draft picks than defensemen this century. In fact, NHL success is much more predictable for young forwards than it is for young defensemen, making much less risk involved in using a top pick on a forward rather than D.

Additionally, more elite defensemen are selected in later rounds than elite wingers, making it a prudent draft strategy to draft forwards early and defensemen later.

Analyzing the top wingers in the NHL today, and the top defensemen, further back this up.

Love McAvoy, but statistically speaking, he's 3 times more likely to be a bust than Crowse is.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I don't think it's about Nurse falling off more so than Davidson impressing Oiler's management and pushing for a spot on the roster.

chiarelli and i have never agreed on trade value... but living in edmonton i can tell you the callers to the local sports shows would be fighting with you for even suggesting this trade hypothetically.

nurse is still viewed as one of the core guys with oconnor and draisailt and the new finnish winger, lucic and the goalie... then to a lesser extent you have eberle and hopkins and larson

oiler fans wont support the trade of any of these 8 assets for picks/prospects

i would seriously doubt ownership would either as they move into the new building... making the playoffs is a must

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I don't think that's a fair analysis. For starters we're comparing a winger to a defenseman. Regardless of draft position I think a high end D prospect trumps a high end wing.

Yes and no. I know what you mean, but at the same time, the bust rate for a Dman is higher. More 1st line Ws are selected where Crouse was than top pairing D selected where McAvoy was.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
If the Bruins get Shattenkirk at this point you know they are going to get jacked. This place would blow up at the price. Just a feeling. The teams have talked for so long. Someone would cave.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
I don't mind overpaying to get a dman. Every GM knows we need one and will use it against DS in a negotion.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I don't mind overpaying to get a dman. Every GM knows we need one and will use it against DS in a negotion.

Which is why the Don should stand pat and hope he made the right choice in retaining Julien, and made the right choice trading for Colin Miller and not gettig a top 4 guy back in the deal for Hamilton :nod:

Time for Julien to show us what he's got and for the yutes to prove everyone on HF boards right I say

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH
We need to keep Pastarnak, Vatrano, Marchand, Bergeron, Beleskey, Backes.
The rest are negotiable.

Time to build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad