Confirmed with Link: Bruins name Cassidy, Pandolfo Assistant Coaches

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
So apparently all we have to do is hire Orr as coach, and Bourque, Brad Park and O'Reilly as the assistants and we'll win 10 straight cups.

Sounds good.

Man, this place somedays.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Why did our long term assistant coaches suddenly suck but Claude is just fine?

This is very weird the more I think about it.

Can't tell what you're getting at here Mike. I think we all know the assistant coaches didn't suddenly suck. Somebody had to walk the plank because that's how things are done. They wanted to keep the coach for their own reasons, so it fell to the assistants. It's not like this is out of the ordinary in pro sports.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Can't tell what you're getting at here Mike. I think we all know the assistant coaches didn't suddenly suck. Somebody had to walk the plank because that's how things are done. They wanted to keep the coach for their own reasons, so it fell to the assistants. It's not like this is out of the ordinary in pro sports.

I'm not getting at anything. I'm confused by it all. Honestly.

I'm trying to give them more credit than just "they scapegoated the assistants," but sadly that's probably the case.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I'm not getting at anything. I'm confused by it all. Honestly.

I'm trying to give them more credit than just "they scapegoated the assistants," but sadly that's probably the case.

Oh without a doubt. Change things a little bit, maybe make the players feel a little guilt for a bad end to their season, but keep the head coach around.

As much as I do like Julien, I'd have still been okay if they went a different direction. Where I'm starting to get skeptical is whether they kept him simply because of his contract. If you were getting at that, then I'd wonder if you were onto something.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
What I find most interesting about this is that despite the disappointment and struggles of this organization over the past couple years they've decided to just promote in house rather than have an outsider's eyes take a look at what they're doing and provide ideas.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
What I find most interesting about this is that despite the disappointment and struggles of this organization over the past couple years they've decided to just promote in house rather than have an outsider's eyes take a look at what they're doing and provide ideas.

There's arguments for and against both sides of this train of thought. I'm not sure what the right answer is, and we likely won't know until after next season is over.

Each of these lists can likely be greatly expanded, but from my point of view a few quick points.

Pro's: Coaches familiar with some of the players, GM already feels like coach and assistants are on the same page with the organizational management.

Con's: Like you said, no fresh eyes; the mistakes they didn't catch the first time, still likely won't be caught.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
New Bruins assistant coach Bruce Cassidy, formerly the head coach in Providence, will run the Boston defense from the bench as Doug Houda’s replacement. Jay Pandolfo, the team’s former director of player development, will fill the eye-in-the-sky role executed by Doug Jarvis.

The development background of both of Claude Julien’s new assistants was critical in their hiring.

“Claude and I have been discussing, in an ongoing manner since I was hired, about his staff as well as our roster,†general manager Don Sweeney said in a conference call Wednesday. “Teaching, communication, development, reinforcing of structure, and how we expect our players to play were topics we kept coming back to in our discussions.

“This restructuring in a collaborative effort will provide Claude with a group that will reinforce how we want our team to play.â€

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...ching-hires/KufXTmcF5Grqjbaa6F6iqM/story.html

LavioletteScores

Nov 20, 2011
And we have the signing of KM at 2.5 a year, to go along with Adam's 2.75 a year. Two players whom I respect but are limited & injury prone. And Dennis Seidenberg at this point in his career. And Z at this point in his career. And the Not Ready For Primetime D, and...

*Very little about this regime inspires confidence.*

And if it appears I'm second guessing The Glimmer Twins & Charles In Charge, I am indeed. I don't think they know what they are doing, as intelligent & hard working as I believe Don Sweeney to be.

This is the tandem (or trio) who unceremoniously kicked a proven winner & team builder in Peter Chiarelli to the curb because they saw an opening to do so.

They wanted the power & the responsibility. Well, they have it. My condolences.

Stumbling out of the gate with:

panic moves (trading Hamilton for jack); failure to execute (no move up for that coveted D prospect); questionable trades (Rinaldo, Hayes);
deadline band aides (JML, LS, serviceable players but band aides nonetheless); a myopic & likely quixotic attempt to retain LE#21 when, despite their protestations, he would probably have fetched decent to excellent return at the deadline; resigning, as mentioned, two bottom pairing, oft injured D to relatively hefty contracts; and, now, promoting Cassidy to breath down Julien's neck, the better to install the former (doubtless on the cheap) should the mediocre on ice "product" prove as listless in 2017 as it was in 2016.

In short, ladies & germs, these appear to be your older brother's Bruins:

Latter day Sinden/OC. Inept, faceless, boring and endlessly stuck in neutral.

Sorry to be negative, but at this point that's what I see on the horizon.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

This is exactly how I feel about the whole situation. Thank you!

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Do some of the kids in Providence get a look now with Cassidy on board?

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Claude Julien’s vision is a defense that is up the ice, quicker to close on opponents, and initiates the transition with more options than the D-to-D breakout that became standard — and predictable — operating procedure.

Julien wants his defensemen to use more of the ice when it’s available, both by applying heavier pressure when chasing the puck and by rushing the other way upon retrieval...

It will be Cassidy’s job to drill these habits into his defensemen during practice and ensure proper in-game execution when he joins Julien on the bench.

Such approaches, Julien believes, are in Cassidy’s wheelhouse in the way he thinks the game and the manner in which he played it as a 36-game NHL defenseman.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
One of us is going to be right one is going to be wrong

Have 5 witnesses that can be verified by Ladyfan and Alicat among others who know that Saturday I said resign Miller 2-3 yes at $2.5 per (ok I was off a year :laugh:)

I'm loving the direction :nod:

I would be delighted to be wrong.

And, my fine fellow, what direction is *that*? Please to inform.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
"...kicked a proven winner & team builder in Peter Chiarelli to the curb"

Yeah, but I don't know how long we would have been able to linger with him given some of the suspect deals/signings/etc.

Wait...let me reconsider this.

Look at the record.

I understand the impulse among fans to say goodbye to Peter Chiarelli. I understand that he mistakes. I also understand that it's relatively early days in the SweeNeely era.

But, again, Neely, Sweeney & Charles In Charge decided they knew better, and knew better after just a second season of failing to qualify for the playoffs.

Chiarelli's dismissal was about more significant flaws than missing a second post season, certainly.

Yet to those counseling patience for the new regime to work its magic, I would add that having exercised little themselves -- again, look at Chia's winning record, on balance -- they deserve precious little.

They're the preemies who grasped for power, and they're the ones, rightly, on the hot seat.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad