Seravalli: Bruins may need to move on from Frederic due to cap reasons.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
His production was probably out of line with his actual impact. His 17 goals were on a shooting percentage far greater than his average and his PDO was super high. The Bruins utilized him in 4th line ice time and got good 3rd line counting stats. I don’t blame them for not wanting to pay based on the 17 goals. That’s not who he is probably going to be moving forward. Useful bottom six player but not a guy you (or especially the Bruins) want to overpay.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The same reason CBJ just traded for Severson. The same reason any team trades for a pending UFA. Because they covet the player and don't want to risk losing him to another team.

The Jackets traded a 3rd for Severson, and Severson is a top-4 D.

I can see a sign and trade with Frederic, but it's going to not be anything notable. They might get back like a 5th or 6th in that type of deal.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Jets should have interest. They need more of this style of player. Would probably get more development opportunities on the Jets.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Wouldn't be thrilled with seeing him go for nothing. Frederic has both a die hard fandom of guys who love "DA GRIT" and also has people who constantly make him out to be the scapegoat.

He's shown wonderful flashes of being a possession guy similar to Coyle, he's not an abortion defensively, and he has an underrated shot. His decision making is also very questionable at times. I think at worst, he's a solid 4th liner, but he could be a decent 3rd liner depending on where a new team may place him.

We'll see what happens.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Stats wise he doesn't seem to hit a lot.

Only play 5 playoff games and didn't throw many hits.

Was he hurt, or just not that good ?

He's really not a big hitter. When he's on, he's using his body to make possession plays. The less he tries to be some big, hardo tough guy the better. Otherwise, he's embarassing himself more often than not against guys not named Brandon Tanev.

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
The Jackets traded a 3rd for Severson, and Severson is a top-4 D.

I can see a sign and trade with Frederic, but it's going to not be anything notable. They might get back like a 5th or 6th in that type of deal.
Curtis Lazar, 28, a pending UFA who had 5 points, was just traded for a 4th rounder at the trade deadline.

Trent Frederic, 25, a pending RFA who had 17 goals, is going to get a 5th or 6th?

Makes sense....

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
Does Seravelli have any sources that have told him this? Or is this just him saying what he thinks might happen? If it’s the latter, then his statements have as much weight as anything of hfboards.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
As much as I like what Fred brings at times, he has plenty of games where I have no idea what he’s bringing at all. Unfortunately, his postseason resume so far is entirely the latter.

Wouldn’t mind keeping him, but really not broken up about seeing him go.

I do think they need to make sure they’ve got at least one guy who can do damage if need be throwing fists. No idea who that’ll be.

Aside from the supposed contract for Bertuzzi, what has the Bruins in such a crunch?

Like everything else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad