Pre-Game Talk: Bruins at Sens 10/23/18 7:30

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Saw the replay for the first time, not sure he meant to get him as high as he did, but at the very least it was reckless and deserved the suspension. Good decision imo.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Saw the replay for the first time, not sure he meant to get him as high as he did, but at the very least it was reckless and deserved the suspension. Good decision imo.
it's the inconsistency that drives you nuts.

Boro got clipped pretty good by Gallagher. nothing. he said something about publicly. I'm half of the mind that he got one game for speaking out on the Gallagher hit

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna
it's the inconsistency that drives you nuts.

Boro got clipped pretty good by Gallagher. nothing. he said something about publicly. I'm half of the mind that he got one game for speaking out on the Gallagher hit

Yeah there never has been much consistency in suspensions for head shots.

It's rather ironic that Boro spoke publicy about taking a dirty hit from Gally and proceeds to give a rookie a forearm shiver with clear intent to injure the next game. His history of taking runs at players doesn't help the lack of compassion he gets either.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Yeah there never has been much consistency in suspensions for head shots.

It's rather ironic that Boro spoke publicy about taking a dirty hit from Gally and proceeds to give a rookie a forearm shiver with clear intent to injure the next game. His history of taking runs at players doesn't help the lack of compassion he gets either.

It was reckless, in a sense that Boro didn't control his own body, but I don't think there was an intent to elbow Vaakanainen in the head. He is going for the high chest. A combination of Vaakanainen coming in low, and bad co-ordination on Boro leads to the head shot. If you look at the replay it looks like both Paajarvi and Boro sort of go to keep him out of the scrum. It all happens very quickly. Both guys are just trying to protect the crease.

I'm fine with Boro being punished because of the outcome (elbow to the head causing injury). But I don't think it was as malicious as a lot of people are making it out to be. Seemed more like an accident to me. I'm guessing that's why Boro only got 1 game.

I don't think a lot of people will agree with me, but it really didn't look intentional. Especially the body language afterwards. Again, not absolving him of the blame. He injured a guy with a reckless elbow.

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna
It was reckless, in a sense that Boro didn't control his own body, but I don't think there was an intent to elbow Vaakanainen in the head. He is going for the high chest. A combination of Vaakanainen coming in low, and bad co-ordination on Boro leads to the head shot. If you look at the replay it looks like both Paajarvi and Boro sort of go to keep him out of the scrum. It all happens very quickly. Both guys are just trying to protect the crease.

I'm fine with Boro being punished because of the outcome (elbow to the head causing injury). But I don't think it was as malicious as a lot of people are making it out to be. Seemed more like an accident to me. I'm guessing that's why Boro only got 1 game.

I don't think a lot of people will agree with me, but it really didn't look intentional. Especially the body language afterwards. Again, not absolving him of the blame. He injured a guy with a reckless elbow.

I see what you're saying and maybe Boro tried to make contact lower but I still think there were bad intensions on the play. Boro sees Vaakanainen coming and throws his arm out with much more force than was needed to box a player out.

This is just another example of a scrub taking out a young skilled player in an unnecessary play. Wreckless or intentional I thought it deserved 3 games.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
What kind of defense is throwing out an elbow lol?

Boro was startled and his only instincts are to go for a hit.

He didn't mean to hit him in the head but the game just moves way too fast for Boro.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Ceci, Ryan, Smith the 3 biggest scapegoats this year. HM to Andy. Who's next when they're gone?

1) A young prospect who most fans are high on based on performance in a sheltered role
2) A pending UFA who receives big money in which most fans support
3) An upcoming grinder with offensive upside who coaches like
4) Any goaltender who wears a Senators logo

so...

Lajoie/Jaros, Pageau/Stone, White, and who knows who the next goaltender will be.

Reactions: Xspyrit and JD1

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
1) A young prospect who most fans are high on based on performance in a sheltered role

so...

Lajoie/Jaros, Pageau/Stone, White, and who knows who the next goaltender will be.
Wideman has a shot at sneaking in there as well. I'll put him in the pending ufa category,

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Boro is another guy at the top of the list of scapegoats in Ottawa as will be Harpur & Paul.

Somehow, I doubt they will trade the hometown boy Ceci, who is a 24 yr old right shot PMD, they are kind of valuable in the NHL. I expect that they will first trade Wideman since he is a 28 yr old UFA who can easily be replaced by the bigger, tougher Jaros who is pretty much NHL ready & also a right shot. Boro is 29 yrs old & next yr will be his last yr on this contract & I expect they may no longer need him although I could also see them sign him for a yr as a 7th D.

DeMello would be the third D I think that would be moved out before Ceci, if they decided to make room on the roster for Wolanin. Wolanin could also be used as a valuable asset in a trade since he is NHL ready & a very fast PMD. Then you have to wonder how long JBD (another Right shot D) stays in school & how long it takes him to be NHL ready.

Boro yeah when Boucher uses him too much or too high in responsibilities. He only makes 1.2 though so the player vs salary isn't a factor here. If Boucher shelters him with 13-14 mins a night and he comes in and out of the lineup I wouldn't see a big reason to hate on him. Players get a lot of flack for their GM and coach mistakes.

Harpur I can see it, he's the prototype of past hockey, not fast enough for today so he will get beat regularly making him a natural target. Makes very little money though so that should help him (close to NHL minimum salary)

Paul, I don't see why, he makes so little money and doesn't even play lol.

And yeah, trading Wideman at the deadline is a no-brainer. Ceci stays until there is another solution and DeMelo, Jaros, Harpur, Wideman, Bergdoefer isn't a good enough group to "get rid" of Ceci

If they trade Wolanin, I'll be mad unless it's in a quantity for quality deal.

You're right. He's the best :facepalm:

Nobody said that though. It's not because some people have a problem with others calling a player trash that they think "he is the best". Big difference.

That you like it or not, Ryan is still one of the most skilled Sens players and one of their best forwards, not as good as Stone, Duchene and Tkachuk (our 3 best forwards) but on the same level as Dzingel and Boedker (who wouldn't be in the conversation if it wasn't for their speed). Tierney it remains to be seen what he can do over a whole season. His career high is 40 pts which is lower than Ryan's pace last season. Formenton and White are not there yet. Others have not graduated yet.

so...

1) I'm kinda scared for Lajoie. His hot start and basic stats are great but his underlying numbers are even worse than Ceci the last 2 years. If he gets too much responsibility too quickly, I could see it backfire for him from the usual crowd. Jaros is a good candidate too down the road, or even Formenton because he might not put numbers than people would expect because of his blazing speed.

2) Several possibilities here. Stone and Duchene are the two most obvious. They will get more money than Ryan and if they run into injuries as they get into their 30's, it could get ugly in a hurry, particularly Duchene since he won't have the "history" that Stone had with the Sens. I can assure you that Ryan wouldn't be such a villain today if he played 2007-13 with Ottawa instead.

Anyway, Stone and Duchene would have to be extended in Ottawa first, we'll see but I'm not sure everybody is aware of the "risk" when you extend players in their long term UFA contracts. Dzingel could be another candidate, imagine he pots 25 goals and gets 5 M$ a year, but then younger guys shows they're better in the next few years (Batherson, Balcers, etc), get his ice-time and offensive opportunities and he "doesn't live up to his contract".

3) Yeah maybe White down the road but it will take a few years because he is cost controlled for now. Before his "massively overpaid" 4 x 3.25 contract, Smith played for the Sens at $558,333 x 3 years, $700,000 x 2 years and then $1,887,500 x 4 years. Big freaking deal.

4) lol. I have no problem analyzing goals and determine if it was good or not, and yes Andy had a really poor season last year but overall he's been great for the Sens, easily best goalie in modern franchise history (outside of Hasek for 43 games)

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Nobody said that though. It's not because some people have a problem with others calling a player trash that they think "he is the best". Big difference.

That you like it or not, Ryan is still one of the most skilled Sens players and one of their best forwards, not as good as Stone, Duchene and Tkachuk (our 3 best forwards) but on the same level as Dzingel and Boedker (who wouldn't be in the conversation if it wasn't for their speed). Tierney it remains to be seen what he can do over a whole season. His career high is 40 pts which is lower than Ryan's pace last season. Formenton and White are not there yet. Others have not graduated yet.

I'm not disagreeing with his talents at all. But, his play making has taken a huge hit, adding to his already poor skating. Making it impossible for him to recover. He's always been the type of player that makes you simply want more out of. We don't really expect more from Dzingel and/or Boedker, but Ryan we do because of his salary. Formenton does deserve more time in the juniors, as for White, it's a matter of time before he gets in his comfort zone with a bit more ice time.

Lets agree to disagree here, but we all expect more out of Ryan, and frustratingly so, we get glimpses of how good he is, then he disappears for 20 games or so. Salary aside, plenty of players in our system could benefit from his ice time. Leadership right now, is his greatest asset.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'm not disagreeing with his talents at all. But, his play making has taken a huge hit, adding to his already poor skating. Making it impossible for him to recover. He's always been the type of player that makes you simply want more out of. We don't really expect more from Dzingel and/or Boedker, but Ryan we do because of his salary. Formenton does deserve more time in the juniors, as for White, it's a matter of time before he gets in his comfort zone with a bit more ice time.

Lets agree to disagree here, but we all expect more out of Ryan, and frustratingly so, we get glimpses of how good he is, then he disappears for 20 games or so. Salary aside, plenty of players in our system could benefit from his ice time. Leadership right now, is his greatest asset.

I often hear Montreal journalists being impressed by Ryan's skill when they go to Sens practices. They go to practices from every team in the league and see a lot of talent. Problem for Ryan is being able to do those things during a NHL game. It goes super fast and it's super physical, you have very little time and space. Unfortunately, he has never been a great skater and injuries through aging certainly didn't help. There's no chance that Ryan plays to the value of his contract, personally I have adjusted and don't expect that anymore. I'll just enjoy the things he does well, like these monster playoffs 15-18 months ago. Now, I expect him to contribute like a 2nd liner, somewhere between 40 and 50 pts. If he does that, I'll be happy. Staying healthy would definitely help.

That being said, not sure his playmaking has taken a huge hit, I don't see that. Again last night, he made several good plays, something that not a lot of players seem capable doing on the Sens, like that pass to Tierney for example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad