Post-Game Talk: Bruin's 6, Canuck's 3: Markus Granlund is outdueled by a literal rodent, oops!!

7th Guest

May 11, 2011
Vancouver
I don't mind seeing the team losing given the circumstance, but this is a humiliating loss.

I mean this feels worse than losing all of their remaining games of the season, because this is Boston. Vancouver Sun is already saying this is 2011 again. Like things are not bad enough.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I think Willie comes across as a very nice man who is likely popular with his players. I wouldn't be surprised at all to hear that they all play hard for him and that young guys feel they have developed under him.

None of that means we can't find someone who can do it better, though. I've seen enough of his baffling deployment of players to last me a good long while. And his treatment of Horvat at the start of the year was absolutely mind blowing.

Honestly I think this "plays hard for Willie" thing is overblown.

We have a roster that is around 50% AHL scrubs. Those types of players tend to play their balls off given that it is their only way of sticking in the NHL. Under-talented teams tend to work hard as a rule. I'll be impressed if he can manage to get the same level of effort out of a skilled team that knows it can coast at times. It's one thing to get a Jayson Megna to play hard for you, quite another to get Patrick Kane to do it.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

We have a roster that is around 50% AHL scrubs. Those types of players tend to play their balls off given that it is their only way of sticking in the NHL. Under-talented teams tend to work hard as a rule. I'll be impressed if he can manage to get the same level of effort out of a skilled team that knows it can coast at times. It's one thing to get a Jayson Megna to play hard for you, quite another to get Patrick Kane to do it.

Agreed. I highly doubt Washington would be as powerful as they are with Willie at the helm. They wouldn't work any harder than they do now just because it's Willie. Over half this roster is auditioning for next season - they would be stupid to coast now, or at any point this season.

There are a lot of jobs up for grabs next year. Guys like Shore, Skille and whatever other plug you want to name is battling night in and night out for that next contract.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

At least Canucklehead is bringing it up factually, and he stated that being nice doesn't mean a thing if it does not translate into tangible results.

There are people who legitly think WD is a hockey coaching god simply because he's "nice" and players play hard for him.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
The saddest part is, Marchand's second goal looks like it could be from tonight or 2011. Sedin soft on the puck, Edler dangled and looking lost, Canucks goalie jockstrap in the corner.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The saddest part is, Marchand's second goal looks like it could be from tonight or 2011. Sedin soft on the puck, Edler dangled and looking lost, Canucks goalie jockstrap in the corner.

Yet in 2011 we blamed the goalie. Today I think people have come to their senses a little bit.

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
now that goldy missed 3 games, i believe he was scratched, not sick cuz willie doenst like him and prefers megna.

**** THAT MOTHER****ER!

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Awful roster generates predictably awful result. Sucks to spoonfeed that utter **** Marchand a game like that.

- Sedins had some offensive jump but were brutalized defensively. Granlund was dangerous and has confidence in his shot, which is good ... but I challenge anyone to find a puck battle he won tonight. On the ice for 4 goals against.

- Horvat's game has fallen off a bit since Burrows left. Getting stuck with a schlub like Megna doesn't help. Boucher sucks but at least has some talent and it's hilarious he lasted one shift there tonight.

- Shore was as expected, generic space filler that doesn't hurt you. Sutter still a black hole offensively. Cramarossa is getting a huge chance and doing nothing with it. 14 minutes tonight and did nothing with it whatsoever. Compare to the impact Biega made in 5 minutes on a 4th line.

- Edler has been terrific recently covering for a struggling Stecher but the wheels fell off tonight. Agree with a previous comment that Stecher should sit for a game or two.

- Biega was our best defender and played the least. As usual.

- Sbisa reverted to historical form tonight and struggled. Tryamkin did decently all things considered.

- Miller wasn't good and was over-committing and swimming in his crease all night again.

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
After 69 games (know what I mean?) the Canucks are 1 point back of last year's pace. They have scored 8 fewer goals, and given up 1 more goal.

This team is worse than last year.

so sad they let pride get in the way to tank for matthews, cuz we were so freaking close to 1st overall . unbelievable.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
so sad they let pride get in the way to tank for matthews, cuz we were so freaking close to 1st overall . unbelievable.

Pride is just one part of the entire incompetence package.

But smart people tell me that this is what happens when us fans can't tolerate a rebuild.

Those same smart people tell me we can't have it both ways. :(

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
HVUlSw0.png

Boston almost doubled us in 5ov5 Corsi events.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
My thing is,,this seson is a wash out.time to bring uo some of our ahl guys and let them play.
Send down the megnas,and chaupt, and camarossa,s.bring up suban,virtanin,,demko,,
Wth do we have to loose now.give these guys some games,,build there confidience,,
I cant wait for the day,linden,benning,and willie are outta here.cant come soon enough.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Awful roster generates predictably awful result. Sucks to spoonfeed that utter **** Marchand a game like that.

- Sedins had some offensive jump but were brutalized defensively. Granlund was dangerous and has confidence in his shot, which is good ... but I challenge anyone to find a puck battle he won tonight. On the ice for 4 goals against.

- Horvat's game has fallen off a bit since Burrows left. Getting stuck with a schlub like Megna doesn't help. Boucher sucks but at least has some talent and it's hilarious he lasted one shift there tonight.

- Shore was as expected, generic space filler that doesn't hurt you. Sutter still a black hole offensively. Cramarossa is getting a huge chance and doing nothing with it. 14 minutes tonight and did nothing with it whatsoever. Compare to the impact Biega made in 5 minutes on a 4th line.

- Edler has been terrific recently covering for a struggling Stecher but the wheels fell off tonight. Agree with a previous comment that Stecher should sit for a game or two.

- Biega was our best defender and played the least. As usual.

- Sbisa reverted to historical form tonight and struggled. Tryamkin did decently all things considered.

- Miller wasn't good and was over-committing and swimming in his crease all night again.

The bolded to me is why I don't see the "massive upside" for Granlund. Take away those minutes and he doesn't score those goals. Also one of his goals should be an assist because it hit off of Horvat's stick and I can think of at least four that were complete flukes.

I think a huge problem with AV, Torts, and now Willie is that there is massive hypocrisy with who is given icetime and who is not outside of the Sedins. It was ok with AV because he was a genuinely good coach with an excellent roster. Now that the roster as a whole is terribad, the idiosyncracies that almost every coach has with "favourites" just serves to expose how bad the team actually is.

I think it's a joke these coaches are preaching "accountability" when a guy who hasn't even been in the NHL is gifted 14 minutes AND Crammarossa is given 14 minutes...and that's not even mentioning Biega vs Sbisa TOI.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
I love how Granlund is playing in the top 6 against top 6 players and his defensive game is in question.

Pro tip this team ****ing sucks and he's our hansen only 3 times as good 6 years younger.

The stupid **** I read on here is honestly laughable sometimes.

He's a third liner for **** sakes

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
I hate how like firing wIllie will just happen in the off season.

Like a firing mid season is such a surge in energy and they just refuse to do it, i ****ing hate it

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Reminiscent of the Islander collapse on Torts season...though at least this was only 4 goals and not 7.

Granlund is shooting at 17% this year...when that regresses to even a very respectable 12% things won't look so rosy. But credit to him they were nice goals last night. But I just can't shake the thought that this is simply Brian Bradley syndrome...someone has to score. Even bad teams score a couple hundred every year. And this is a bad, bad team. One that I don't think gets better anytime soon.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007

:bow::bow::bow:
:bow::bow:
:bow:
I always think it is canucks rosters' personalities, not willie. It drove me crazy when those idiots in the 1040 kept saying players played hard for Willie and Canucks needed to keep Willie for next season :help::help::help:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
This team typically falls apart in the 3rd period. It's become a trend under Willie. I wonder why that is?

Some claim that they have quit on him; however, I don't think that's the case. I think it's more of an issue with talent (Benning's deficiency) and approach. The team comes out and plays hard for the first two periods, but then sits back in the third and everything falls apart.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
If Bo doesn't hit 50 will this be the first time in franchise history we don't have a 50 point scorer on the roster? I looked at our 1998 and 1999 seasons as a comparison as those were pretty craptastic years and our stats from those years are light years ahead of where we are now. Even if you magically removed Naslund from those teams it is still better than our current team.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
If Bo doesn't hit 50 will this be the first time in franchise history we don't have a 50 point scorer on the roster? I looked at our 1998 and 1999 seasons as a comparison as those were pretty craptastic years and our stats from those years are light years ahead of where we are now. Even if you magically removed Naslund from those teams it is still better than our current team.

Speaking as someone who lived through those 90's years and supported this team during that time...the current era is worse. Way worse. And that's saying a lot.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Speaking as someone who lived through those 90's years and supported this team during that time...the current era is worse. Way worse. And that's saying a lot.

Of course, at least back then we had Naslund and Bertuzzi on the rise and a tail-end Mogilny. Plus a bunch of tough customers and regular fights to entertain us. And the league in general was way more interesting to follow then as well.

My girlfriend asked me to turn off the Canucks game last night for the Bachelor and I didn't even put up a fight. We were leading the game at that point too. At least I missed Marchand's hat trick.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays

Other than the half lockout years yes that would be true. 78-79 Sedlbauer 57P, Gradin 51P. 89-90 Reinhart 57P, Linden 51P

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Of course, at least back then we had Naslund and Bertuzzi on the rise and a tail-end Mogilny. Plus a bunch of tough customers and regular fights to entertain us. And the league in general was way more interesting to follow then as well.

My girlfriend asked me to turn off the Canucks game last night for the Bachelor and I didn't even put up a fight. We were leading the game at that point too. At least I missed Marchand's hat trick.

Man that's depressing as ****...

Aquaman probably at home watching old runs of Jersey Shore instead of the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad