Brown or Getzlaf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randall Graves*

jaffner87 said:
I haven't seen Brown play, but I have seen Getzlaf play a number of times.

He has a lot of talent, and puts up the points. He also is not afraid to drop the gloves. He plays with alot of grit and speed. However, as I believe someone mentioned, he did have issues this year with attitude. In fact, for a short period of time, his captaincy was stripped from him until he got it together. I do believe, though, that as he will mature out of this.
didn't he also have a concussion this year?

anyways i'd take brown.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
AnThGrt said:
I think you mixing them up lol

No, I agree with BRG too.
I think Brown will score more points while Getzlaf will be a better two-way player.

The only concern I have on Getzlaf is his attitude that caused some problems for him in the past season.

Anyway entering the 2003 draft I wanted one of these three players: Brown, Getzlaf or Parise, can't say I'm disappointed :)

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
David A. Rainer said:
Getzlaf might put up slightly more points but Brown will be a more gritty player.

Might be the other way around. Getzlaf likes to drop the gloves, haven't seen that from Brown too much.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
biased Ducks fan here...but...

Brown is the safer pick, Getzlaf has higher upside in my opinion.

I'm glad the Ducks have Getzlaf, Brown is very underrated though.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
AnThGrt said:
Here all i'll say is look at his name "Bobby Ryan Getzlaf" has Getzlaf name it obviously he will praise him. That being said he is a Ducks fan and ofcourse an excuse will be made for how he played though mentioned above Getzlaf has been like this all of his career. With that saying Getzlaf is the physical one is a complete joke he is underrated in that aspect but better then Brown is a joke. Ask any scout or read anything and you'll see you are the one mixed up - No disrespect towards you respect most things you say this is just retarted comment though

And you're a Kings fan so you're obviously just as biased as him.

And yes, Getzlaf is the more physical of them, he will hit, grind in the corners, drive to the net and drop the gloves. Brown is no Val Bure either but IMHO not as physical as Getzlaf.

As for the overall game, Getzlaf was the +/- leader in team Canada. Yes, I know the limitations of that stat but in this case it's quite telling.

Vic Rattlehead*

All Kings and Ducks fans should be banned from this thread. :biglaugh:

As an outsider, I'll take Getzlaf.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
AnThGrt said:
Here all i'll say is look at his name "Bobby Ryan Getzlaf" has Getzlaf name it obviously he will praise him. That being said he is a Ducks fan and ofcourse an excuse will be made for how he played though mentioned above Getzlaf has been like this all of his career. With that saying Getzlaf is the physical one is a complete joke he is underrated in that aspect but better then Brown is a joke. Ask any scout or read anything and you'll see you are the one mixed up - No disrespect towards you respect most things you say this is just retarted comment though

My name is "Bobby Ryan Getzlaf" because they share the name Ryan in their full names. I thought it was a nice play on words. It's not because I'm in love with Ryan Getzlaf.

I have been a fan of his for a long time. I'm a huge fan of all Saskatchewan prospects, and have followed Getzlaf since he was drafted by the Hitmen. I was higher on him going into the draft than Brown(and I was a huge Brown fan going into the draft, as well), and my opinion of him has only changed. I actually found TSN's mock draft that saw Getzlaf fall to the Ducks fairly humourous, untill I realized the Ducks could actually get the steal of the draft. I was probably the happiest person on earth when the Caps selected Eric Fehr. I'm a huge Getzlaf fan, but it's gone on well before he was a Duck, and I'm a big fan of Brown as well.

Also, I think many would agree Getzlaf is grittier and more physical. He can be a very mean player, and if he keeps that mean streak in the NHL, he should be very good. It is not a joke to say that Getzlaf is more physical, and especially not a "retarted" comment. I think what's "retarted" is that you accuse me of praising Getzlaf due to bias, and then you go on and make Brown look miles better than him, when that certainly is not the case.

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
What I think is underrated is the Kings/Ducks rivalry... one of the better in the NHL. Really it's only us in So Cal who really know about it though.

As for Brown v. Getzlaf? Haven't seen enough of Brown to make a decision.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
I love the dialogue in this thread. It apears that each team underrates the other teams prospect. Unbiased opinions on the board seem to be torn on this. Perhaps it is a draw?

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Pepper said:
And you're a Kings fan so you're obviously just as biased as him.

And yes, Getzlaf is the more physical of them, he will hit, grind in the corners, drive to the net and drop the gloves. Brown is no Val Bure either but IMHO not as physical as Getzlaf.

As for the overall game, Getzlaf was the +/- leader in team Canada. Yes, I know the limitations of that stat but in this case it's quite telling.

Why is brown so underrated physically? Is it because getzlaf has the size advantage or what? How many games have you seen dustin brown play is the question. Trying to use val bure as a comparison is a joke. Brown does all the things getzlaf does except drop the gloves as much which isnt that big of a deal.

Ive never seen getzlaf play so i cant comment on him. from all that ive heard he is a physical player. Im not downing getzlaf in any way. I just think that dustin brown is very underrated when it comes to being a physical player.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
kingpest19 said:
Why is brown so underrated physically? Is it because getzlaf has the size advantage or what? How many games have you seen dustin brown play is the question. Trying to use val bure as a comparison is a joke. Brown does all the things getzlaf does except drop the gloves as much which isnt that big of a deal.

Ive never seen getzlaf play so i cant comment on him. from all that ive heard he is a physical player. Im not downing getzlaf in any way. I just think that dustin brown is very underrated when it comes to being a physical player.

I said Brown is NO Val Bure meaning that he's not a soft player by any means but not as physical as Getzlaf either.

Maybe next year we'll see them play against each other in the NHL, that should help us determine who's better in which areas.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Pepper said:
I said Brown is NO Val Bure meaning that he's not a soft player by any means but not as physical as Getzlaf either.

Maybe next year we'll see them play against each other in the NHL, that should help us determine who's better in which areas.

In all honesty thats the only way to prove it is to see them play against each other whihc in all likelihood wont happen unless things change dramatacilly at training camp

chris39bong

Getzlaf has more skill. Better stickhandler, better passer. Better size and more of a mean streak to him.

Brown is the safer pick of the two. More mature, fearless, and very dangerous driving to the net and in close.

Getzlaf is the better all around player, although both are pretty smart positionally for their age and play just fine in all three zones at this point in their careers. Brown should consistently score more goals, but the higher overall point producer will be Getzlaf. Brown will be a great complimentary player on one of the top two lines, but his production will depend somewhat on the abilities of his linemates. Getzlaf is more the type of player that won't need to rely on those around him as much, and should actually make his linemates better.

Overall, i'm inclined to say that Getzlaf is and will be the better player, but on the other hand, there are fewer Brown-type players in the NHL and so his value to any given team might be greater.

ukyo

Mar 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Visit site
no name said:
I love the dialogue in this thread. It apears that each team underrates the other teams prospect. Unbiased opinions on the board seem to be torn on this. Perhaps it is a draw?

I will say this from seeing both play. *IF* Getzlaf can consistently produce like he is capable of, then I would take Getzlaf over Brown. I just haven't seen that sort of consistency yet.

Getzlaf can do everything that Brown does, better at some things and worse at others, but additionally he will drop the gloves and pull rank in the locker room (two things that I have not yet seen Brown do). If they both reach what I think is their full potential then Brown may put up marginally more points but Getzlaf will be a more complete player. If this is the case then I'd rather build my team around Getzlaf than Brown.

ukyo

Mar 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Visit site
hattrickshockey2 said:
Getzlaf has more skill. Better stickhandler, better passer. Better size and more of a mean streak to him.

Brown is the safer pick of the two. More mature, fearless, and very dangerous driving to the net and in close.

Getzlaf is the better all around player, although both are pretty smart positionally for their age and play just fine in all three zones at this point in their careers. Brown should consistently score more goals, but the higher overall point producer will be Getzlaf. Brown will be a great complimentary player on one of the top two lines, but his production will depend somewhat on the abilities of his linemates. Getzlaf is more the type of player that won't need to rely on those around him as much, and should actually make his linemates better.

Overall, i'm inclined to say that Getzlaf is and will be the better player, but on the other hand, there are fewer Brown-type players in the NHL and so his value to any given team might be greater.

Really? From what I've seen Brown has more skill than Getzlaf, although I'd say that Getzlaf is a slightly better passer. This might be because Getzlaf had more of a responsibility to distribute the puck between Ladd and Pushkarev (two guys that aren't likely to give the puck back) whereas Brown's job was to finish. Getzlaf is definitely bigger and meaner though. I also agree with his ability to make his teammates better.

Last edited:

Duck Fan

Jul 28, 2002
Laguna Hills, CA
Visit site
McSorley 33 said:
Having never seen Ryan play, I have no comment.

:teach:

This was by far the most intelligent thread of all posted.

I have never seen Getzlaf either and am unable to comment.

There was a comment by David Rainer in a prior post that amused me. I believe he said that Getzlaf had a problem scoring into an open net.

I seem to recall that Brown had trouble scoring and had only one goal last year.

The point is meaningless as who each of you thinks is better. Time will tell.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
Duck Fan said:
This was by far the most intelligent thread of all posted.

I have never seen Getzlaf either and am unable to comment.

There was a comment by David Rainer in a prior post that amused me. I believe he said that Getzlaf had a problem scoring into an open net.

I seem to recall that Brown had trouble scoring and had only one goal last year.

The point is meaningless as who each of you thinks is better. Time will tell.
In Browns defense he was playing in the NHL at age 18 and and skated most of the year on a broken foot. By the way, how is it going Neil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad