News Article: Brooks speaks with Dolan.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Messier head coach, Trottier/Stevens assistant coach, bring back Nash and make him captain, replace Gorton with Lou Lams, Dennis Rodman buys the team from Dolan and makes kim jong un junior VP of hockey ops.
This is not gonna happen.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
2 points

1. No one on this thread is talking about wanting Messier as our coach

2. The man is the single most important Ranger figure EVER. He brought us what we all crave. Yes there was talent, but he was THE MAN. There is absolutely no way any credible Rangers fan could criticize this guy. PERIOD. If Kim Jong Un captained this team and we won the cup I’d love him

Reactions: Riche16

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
"Rudderless" is a meaningless label that you're using to criticize meaningless labels.

We don't know what happens in the room, unless we're told. We do know what happens on the ice and what was objectively wrong on the ice.

You choose to ignore the latter to trumpet about the former.

They would still be easy to play against because they had no system and never had the puck. That's a bigger problem whether you choose to realize that or not.

Patently false.

It's a term I can't stand, and I didn't bring it up. Read the thread again.

What happens on the ice is a direct result of what happens in the room.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
What happens on the ice is a direct result of what happens in the room.
As a former (35 pounds ago) division 1 college soccer player and 22 year Varsity High School hockey and soccer coach it is FACT. THE LEADERS GET THE OTHERS TO BUY IN AND DO STUFF THAT MAY EVEN SEEM IMPOSSIBLE. Here’s a quote for all you people who de-value captains and leadership and alpha-males in team sports..... “hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard or isn’t motivated”. If I had to choose as a Rangers player to go 100% every game for my 15-20 minutes OR face my captains wrath for much longer I choose the former

Reactions: egelband

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
You shouldn't "get a kick out of it"!! Without Messier your team you claim to be a fan of would be the biggest laughing stock in the entire league. He is as untouchable an athlete when it comes to criticism,as there ever has been in the history of NYC and the league.

I'm not even disagreeing with you, I just find the outrage funny.

Reactions: egelband

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Hockey has a unique culture that makes it different than all other sports. Perhaps it is due to its working-class roots in Canada. Perhaps for some other reason. Yes, other sports have captains, but they are for the most part superfluous, just for show. Not so in hockey: in hockey, "the captain" actually means something, not just symbolically, but historically, and on and off the ice. I would agree that it is because of the emotional nature of the game.

This myth and self-fulfilling prophecy is the root of all evil and why virtually every other sport is more evolved than hockey.

Even in football, which is borderline Roman Colosseum, nobody talks about leadership and toughness.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
This myth and self-fulfilling prophecy is the root of all evil and why virtually every other sport is more evolved than hockey.

Even in football, which is borderline Roman Colosseum, nobody talks about leadership and toughness.
Holy Crap. Dude you just don’t get it. Peace and love and everybody’s try their hardest please while you all get a trophy doesn’t work in a violent physical sport!,, Talent is very important. Without it you won’t win but hockey is a violent sport. Have you watched the playoffs?

Just give it up bud. Messier is the most important Ranger ever and yes he was at times an angry emotional “bully”. It works. Get over it

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Rangers hockey 2018 under some of our younger posters. Kumbaya oh Lord Kumbayah..... or Give Peace A Chance? Time for a poll.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Holy Crap. Dude you just don’t get it. Peace and love and everybody’s try their hardest please while you all get a trophy doesn’t work in a violent physical sport!,, Talent is very important. Without it you won’t win but hockey is a violent sport. Have you watched the playoffs?

Just give it up bud. Messier is the most important Ranger ever and yes he was at times an angry emotional “bully”. It works. Get over it
It's still Brian Leetch no matter how much you whine about Messier :laugh:

Reactions: Irishguy42

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Let me get this straight. We are all of a sudden ok with someone "semi" bullying teammates in order to set them straight but throws a temper tantrum as soon as Hank stares at someone?

I dont even mean to go into whether or not either of them are wrong or right. I Just wanted to point at the obvious hypocrisy from a couple of posters. You know who you are.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Anyone who doesn’t appreciate the uniqueness of hockey: its history, culture, and its emotional nature.....well I just don’t know what to say.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Yeah it has nothing to do with talent or systems.

No, it DOES have to do with talent and systems, the execution of which are largely dictated by what happens in the room and in practice.

People talk about leadership in football all the time and there are actually several captains on each football team (up to 6, in fact)

They don’t always use the term leadership, but it’s a thing. These three are literally from the first articles I found with quotes from coaches when searching “New England patriots captains,” “Carolina Panthers captains” and “New York giants captains”

”Duron is, I’d say every team, or most every team I’ve ever coached, there are always a couple guys on the team that I would say, for lack of a better word, that are silent leaders,” Belichick said. “They have leadership but it kind of comes out in a little bit of a different way than Junior Seau or Tedy Bruschi or somebody like that. Again, I’m not saying one is better than the other, they’re just different, and I would put Duron kind of in the silent leader category.

Duron Harmon Is Patriots’ Defensive Secret Weapon, Silent Leader

"All you've got to do is watch when something happens - Kurt's one of the first ones to go over there to put his arm around somebody to try to explain something and help them out," head coach Ron Rivera said Friday. "But then when something positive happens, he's also one of the first ones over there. It's not like he's always looking for something negative. He's always looking for something positive to help build on."

Panthers Home

"Zak, you know he's an all day, every day guy. He's a mans man. He really gets the special teams unit going. He ignites them.

Giants name three 2017 team captains

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad