Brooks Orpik - trade him sooner than later?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Ill add that Murray is not an upgrade over what we have. I'd rather stick with what we have. And to be honest, I wouldn't give TK up with the way he's playing this year short of bringing back a legit top line guy.

Me neither, not as things stand now. BUT, all of this is fluid.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
What did Sid say?

BTW, living in Dallas, I remember Nisky as a rookie. His partner was Zubov. Then, Zubov retired, and they expected Nisky to carry the top pairing. Total collapse in his game. Now, his game has been built back up, and he's back in his comfort zone with the type of partner with whom he enjoyed a lot of success.

Absolutely. Niskanen played his best hockey with a #1 D-man. I see no reason why that pairing can't work in the postseason.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness

"Who is it?"

"Delivery man...."

"I didn't send for anything."

"Caandygrammm."

land-shark_288x288.jpg

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Absolutely. Niskanen played his best hockey with a #1 D-man. I see no reason why that pairing can't work in the postseason.

So far, me neither.

Odd, Bylsma goes Nisky-Letang and Orpik-Martin, and I think, at first glance, none of us see how either works in theory. Sometimes, I guess it's the truly ****** up ideas that work best in hockey.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
What did Sid say?

BTW, living in Dallas, I remember Nisky as a rookie. His partner was Zubov. Then, Zubov retired, and they expected Nisky to carry the top pairing. Total collapse in his game. Now, his game has been built back up, and he's back in his comfort zone with the type of partner with whom he enjoyed a lot of success.

Something along the lines of Niskanen being the Pens breakout player this season.

BarnabysBAC*

Dumbest topic ever... He is the toughest and best defender on the team and you want to trade him for what? This team would give up 5 goals a game with the current players they have on defense without brooks...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Something along the lines of Niskanen being the Pens breakout player this season.

Hope so . . . that would be huge.

He's got all the tools. The big question is if he continues to hang in there physically. Big knock always was you go after him enough, and he starts playing like he hears footsteps. He's gotten progressively better as a Penguin. You obviously have seen more progress this year (haven't watch too closely but will starting Wednesday).

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
Hope so . . . that would be huge.

He's got all the tools. The big question is if he continues to hang in there physically. Big knock always was you go after him enough, and he starts playing like he hears footsteps. He's gotten progressively better as a Penguin. You obviously have seen more progress this year (haven't watch too closely but will starting Wednesday).

I think Niskanens positioning and speed at getting the puck is whats part of him getting hit less. His puck retrevial and ability to get the puck out of the zone has gotten much better IMO. As far as him being more physical, he was stepping up that part of his game towards the end of last year and into the playoffs.

I go back to Z Michalek in the playoffs last year, and Im not sure exactly, but wasnt its something like after 2 rounds, he was still the most hit defender ?

I was his foot speed and quickness to the puck that was a large factor in that. The flyers were putting it in his corner every time.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Orpik is 13th in games played from his draft year. Orpik, Martin and Engelland all came from that draft. don't know why i felt compelled to look that up.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
They have a bunch of prospects, not proven NHL talent. Don't confuse the two. If one of the guys in the top 4 gets injured then the Penguins have a big problem. With the Penguins being a win now team, they need to get one more top 4 d-man, even if that means giving up a prospect or two.

I agree with what mpp9 said about going through the growing pains with Despres now, and hopefully getting Bort some playing time, even if it means having to dress 7 Dmen some games. You're talking about making a trade so we're "covered" in the event of a hypothetical injury. We may not ever get that injury, and even if we did, the trade route could be a bridge we cross then. Crossing that bridge now makes zero sense.

Ill add that Murray is not an upgrade over what we have. I'd rather stick with what we have. And to be honest, I wouldn't give TK up with the way he's playing this year short of bringing back a legit top line guy.

I'll see your Murray comment, and add one about TK.

I like Murray, but (A) he probably wouldn't work well here in the Pens system with the way we like to play, because his skating is only mediocre, and (B) the Sharks are in win-now mode even more than the Penguins: their coaches & management staff's jobs are on a much shorter leash; and many of their core players are on the downsides of their careers. They are not going to trade Murray and he is not available. It was some HF-board guy's fantasy, and now people are talking about it like he's actually available. He's not.

Also, regarding TK: I've been sick of hearing how bad people think this guy is for the last 2-3 years, and the never-ending talk of how we should trade/buy-out/dump this player. Can people start finally realize how good of a player he is for us, on a winger-starved team, and how unlike other solid wingers like Cooke & Dupuis, he is about to enter into his prime years as opposed to his back-9? Start realizing instead: he's a good player, his coaches like him, his teammates like him, he enjoys playing here, and took a "hometown discount" to do so last time, and may do the same on his next deal. We need to keep players like this and add from there. So start showing TK some respect, because all the players & management within the organization seem to do so.

King of the Fall

Aug 26, 2007
Those two hits yesterday showed that Brooks is still our best 'physical defenseman'. The guy has consistently been a favorite of mine since the X generation days and is a constant fan favorite.

He was battling some injuries the past few years, but seems 100% which is bad news for forwards cutting across the middle. :yo:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Those two hits yesterday showed that Brooks is still our best 'physical defenseman'. The guy has consistently been a favorite of mine since the X generation days and is a constant fan favorite.

He was battling some injuries the past few years, but seems 100% which is bad news for forwards cutting across the middle. :yo:

I would bet dimes to dollars Kessel does not enter the zone flying with his head down wednesday night if he watched any video tape of this game.

That is worth something.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen

Thank you. You speak the truth. I think the crowd is coming around to this now.
Have been saying all along, a true top4 opportunity buy be in our cards come deadline depending on Martin and Co, but stop it with this picking up of glorified physical guys for the bottom pairing, we are drafting all these kids for a reason.

zhenyas most fly rep

May 3, 2009
breizh
Orpik is 13th in games played from his draft year. Orpik, Martin and Engelland all came from that draft. don't know why i felt compelled to look that up.

Wow Sauer(357GP 5G 28A 33P) and Hale(327GP 4G 25A 29P) have quite the impressive stat line even for defensive Dmen!
For some perspective, here is Scuderi's (538GP 7G 68A 75P)

For some fun, here are
Hans Jonsson's (242GP 10G 38A 48P)
Ian Moran's (489GP 21G 50A 71P)
Jamie Pushor's (521GP 14G 46A 60P)
Melichar's (349GP 7G 42A 49P)
For those who forgot this was half of our defense in 2002:yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad