News Article: Brooklyn/Belmont Arena Discussion (Islanders to play 20 games at NVMC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Thanks for giving me the Value Retail angle. Now I have a better understanding as to why NYAP want Belmont LIRR to become full time.
At the last public meeting the Value Retail rep said that their business model depends on being able to bring foreign tourists from Manhattan to shop at Belmont Park. They operate that way in London, they will operate that way in China. To accomplish that full time LIRR service is an integral part of this project.

Another point to realize is that the neighborhood benefits from full time LIRR service. But the demand will be for westbound service towards Manhattan and Brooklyn, mainly from commuters going to work. There will be little to no demand to go eastbound from Belmont, so I don't think you'll ever see any upgrades to the infrastructure at Belmont to accommodate people coming from Nassau and Suffolk.

Reactions: periferal

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Listen Steve, I'm not sure if you have ever lived out here but let me tell you something. Out here in New York you simply cannot just decide you want to build an arena at Willet's Point. Nothing just gets built here, massive donations and knowing the right people are needed like what happened at Belmont.

You do realize this is why they have been searching for a new arena since the 90's right? Belmont is their ONLY chance at staying here.

"Yeah, sure, understood." *Resumes searches for negative information about Belmont to post to Twitter*

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
How many NHL arenas do we need on LI?

Apparently, the answer could be 3.

And in a more ridiculous idea, the Isles mostly play at AHL level.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Isles might as well return to Coliseum from fall 2019 onwards. I would imagine Barclays will become a ghost town next season

All depends on the schedule I think. They'd be wise to front load those Coliseum games or only put them during the week days. Now, that wouldn't be the most fan friendly move, but it seems like the best move if they want to ensure it isn't a ghost town.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
What was the original number, 8-10-12? So could possibly be almost half of the home games?

Originally set for 12 games next season, then it was supposed to be half the games the final two years if I recall correctly. This would mean that it'd be an even split for the next three years.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
Amazing news today with the hiring of a legitimate NHL coach and more games to be played at the Coliseum.

Too bad I'm trying to move to NJ by the time the season starts :-/ I hope a lot of the games are on Saturday nights.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
It's just so clear now...

Everything about the Malkin/Ledecky ownership era is about cleaning up the utter mess wang left us with. Literally everything needs to be cleaned up from the arena down to the ticket office.

Reactions: SI90

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
They announced the Coli schedule. Sat Dec 1 is the Coli home opener. All 10 of the last games are at the Coli. Not announced yet, but I can't imagine that any playoff games wouldn't be at the Coliseum. They aren't going to backload the schedule with Coliseum dates and then move back to Brooklyn.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Why do we play so many games on the road to start the season...?

To get the Coliseum ready for hockey of course.

Reactions: SI90

Ziggy16

Mar 1, 2005
  • December 1, 7 p.m. vs. Columbus Blue Jackets
  • December 10, 7 p.m. vs. Pittsburgh Penguins
  • December 15, 7 p.m. vs. Detroit Red Wings
  • January 3, 7 p.m. vs. Chicago Blackhawks
  • January 8, 7 p.m. vs. Carolina Hurricanes
  • January 17, 7 p.m. vs. New Jersey Devils
  • January 20, 3 p.m. vs. Anaheim Ducks
  • February 1, 7 p.m. vs. Tampa Bay Lightning
  • February 2, 7 p.m. vs. Los Angeles Kings