GDT: Bronze Medal Game • Jan. 5 • Canada 4 - Finland 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

SChan*

4th place finish isn't too bad considering our unimpressive defense and the lack of system. With good coaching it's possible to have even better team next year.

well Granlund cant play next year so i doubt it.

Klaus

Teemu!
May 8, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
Good game Canada, I'm proud.

I just wish we weren't matched up with Finland, I like them and wanted to see them atleast medal.

4thliner*

And everyone goes back to their lives in 1-2-3

Chirping Crickets will be out in full force for Sweden/Russia :)

SPMaximus

Apr 29, 2011
well... Finland played like a 4th place team this tournament, the 3 better teams are ahead

really happy with MiG's performance, not happy with MaG or Pulkkinen (95% of his shots went wide -.-)

ashs

Oct 27, 2007
You know what - this bronze medal actually feels pretty good. I know it's now what we Canadian fans wanted but our Junior team represented us well. Good tournament Canada.

us Canadians need to realize its not always about winning, its about doing what we love to do; and that's playing hockey.

scotian1

Dec 19, 2011
Kingston, N.S.
According to Statistics Finland, the country has a population under six million and a quarter of a million of those are over 80 years of age.
http://www.stat.fi/til/vaerak/2010/vaerak_2010_2011-03-18_tie_001_en.html

That makes Finland a very special country when it comes to hockey. With such a small population, they have turned out some great teams and some very special players. All the best to those from Suomi!

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
I've seen Finland win enough bronze medals to know that there's a big difference between finishing 3rd or 4th. Bronze is a nice medal to win, even if the fans bash it often. Seeing the players happy after the game makes me happy. This time losing wasn't so bad because Canada was obviously the superior team. Good to see the home crowd leaving happy too.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Nice for Visentin after last year.

Congrats to Finland and Canada. 4th and 3rd. Nothing to be ashamed about.

Good luck to Russia and Sweden and their fan bases for the Gold.

Also, please Canadian fans, as a Canadian, i say no more "Hockey is Our Game" signs. It's a world game and theirs some pretty damn good hockey players and teams from other countries.

Please...hockey is still a Canadian game and the best players still come from Canada. The results would have been grossly different if Canada had Hall, Seguin, Skinner and RNH available...

sampy

Jul 18, 2009
Canada was better, no suprise there. Could've been closer, could've been blowout. I'm fine with Finns effort.

Finnish D altough being young and inexperienced were really good and I think playing over their heads last 2-3 games. Also I was happy with game of Salomäki, Barkov, Aaltonen(aside boarding bull**** against SLV) and 4th line throughout the tournament. 4th line guys wont see NHL time -ever- probably but still I liked their energy. Aitokikuli, if he improves his rebound control will be awesome tender for Avalanche(or where-ever they might trade him to in the future), I think. But you never know with goalies.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Props to Canada for playing hard, and savouring in winning a medal.

Will never forget when Russia lost in the 02 Olympics to the US, and showed zero class in the bronze medal game against Belarus.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Good game Canada, I'm proud.

I just wish we weren't matched up with Finland, I like them and wanted to see them atleast medal.

Agree. Finland is probably the team I would root for after Canada. The players are generally very classy and don't really whine or embellish/dive at all.

Should have been a Canada/Finland gold medal game, and it came very very close to being that way.

Needles

Jun 29, 2010
well Granlund cant play next year so i doubt it.

Yeah, but Mikael was clearly our best -92 in the tournament. The rest were just.....meh, athough Ruuttu had his moments.

Salomäki, Armia, MaG, Barkov, Aaltonen & Hännikäinen will be even better next year. Ristolainen, Pokka and Määttä will return. Teräväinen is looking pretty inpressive. Ullberg is already a starting goalie at SaiPa etc.

If we get a good coach next year, we could play in the medal rounds again.

4thliner*

I've seen Finland win enough bronze medals to know that there's a big difference between finishing 3rd or 4th. Bronze is a nice medal to win, even if the fans bash it often. Seeing the players happy after the game makes me happy. This time losing wasn't so bad because Canada was obviously the superior team. Good to see the home crowd leaving happy too.

losers are losers dude.

Silver, bronze, 4th to last are all LOSERS at the end of teh day. Only level of humiliation differs.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Finnish playing level and refereeing left a bit of a sour mouth of this tournament. All in all 4th place is ok, could've been better but heck, we could've been shoved to the relegation round and it wouldn't have been a huge surprise with such a strong preliminary pool.

Canadians were clearly better, and bad refs or good refs you had this one clearly. It was nice to see the guys enjoying the win and getting some hardware. Congrats for the win! :)

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Great game by the team, good effort following a less than par effort against Russia. Bronze is nothing to sneeze at to be sure.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Yeah, but Mikael was clearly our best -92 in the tournament. The rest were just.....meh, athough Ruuttu had his moments.

Salomäki, Armia, MaG, Barkov, Aaltonen & Hännikäinen will be even better next year. Ristolainen, Pokka and Määttä will return. Teräväinen is looking pretty inpressive. Ullberg is already a starting goalie at SaiPa etc.

If we get a good coach next year, we could play in the medal rounds again.

Agree. Salomaki stood out in a few games. If Armia can be more consistent he could be a beast. Your Defence will also be much better. Beating the US and pushing Sweden with 3 underagers is impressive.

Things also depend on how much Barkov improves. He showed flashes of skill, and im sure he will be a lot better next year.

With a pretty strong 93 year for the US, and Russia, and with Canada and Sweden always being strong, I expect next year to be a "Big 5"

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Please...hockey is still a Canadian game and the best players still come from Canada. The results would have been grossly different if Canada had Hall, Seguin, Skinner and RNH available...

My point was i'm just sick of those signs. Of course Hockey is a Canadian game. We expect to win every year. But guess what? Theres other countries where Hockey is their top sport and they have expectations to medal or win Gold just like we do.

Lennu

May 8, 2011
Why the hell didn't Granlund took that PS?! Helminen must be the biggest joke in finnish coaching history. MiG is still one of the best PS takers in Europe. He scores about 4 out of 5(fact) if you consider FEL and national team. Pulkkinen on the other hand is one of the worst PS takers I have seen my entire life. Haven't seen him score once in FEL. No dekes, no speed... nothing. Every Finn knows this guy is horrible taking these.

All this you get when a dictator called Kale Rautakansleri Kummola is the big boss. Literally. Go and pick your friend to coach maybe the most promising U20 team Finland have ever had. With Marjamäki Finland would play against Russia.

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu
Maybe Ullberg can even steal some games for us!

There was a joke after the boxing day defeat againt Canada that Finnish players must've felt like **** when returning to locker room after 8-1 loss only to realize that their 3rd goalie have stolen all their stuff.

:laugh: :shakehead

I guess "personal problems" was the only reason why Ullberg wasn't drafted? He's talented as heck though so I hope all the best for him (and for his therapist).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad