Confirmed with Link: Brodie signed to extension - 5 years $4.65 Million AAV

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
So Feaster didn't want to lock up Brodie longeterm (mistake imo) which is unfortunate. Now Brodie should get a decent pay raise when his next contract comes. He is an RFA, so what type of contract/money will we see Brodie get? Should they try to lock him up earlier?

[mod]http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=735366

Last edited by a moderator:

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
I am ok with not having signed him long term earlier, make him earn the payday. I didn't want to do what the Oilers did with all their young players, and give them more than they are worth when they signed it, in hopes they are signed to bargains later. Not a fan of that.

I expect a deal similar to the contract Wideman has, 4 years, 5.25 per likely

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
So Feaster didn't want to lock up Brodie longeterm (mistake imo) which is unfortunate. Now Brodie should get a decent pay raise when his next contract comes. He is an RFA, so what type of contract/money will we see Brodie get? Should they try to lock him up earlier?

I hardly think that was a mistake. A mistake is when you end up paying more than a player is worth. Bridge contracts are designed to avoid that. Brodie does end up getting paid, but only now that he's shown he's worth it.

flamingflamer

May 26, 2014
This thread makes no sense. His next contract is almost entirely dependent on how he performs this year.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
With what we've seen from TJ so far I think it would be great if we could get him on a Josi type contract as the cap has increased more likely would be 7x 4.2-4.5M

This thread makes no sense. His next contract is almost entirely dependent on how he performs this year.

We could see him (and Backlund) signed as early as October in order to avoid any drama that comes from having no contract going into the off-season (such as arbitration)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I see 2 possible contracts.

1 year @ $3,000,000 which will leave him as a RFA when it's done. Or the same contract Gio and Regehr got. 5 years @ $4,020,000 with a NMC starting in his 27 year old season.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I see 2 possible contracts.

1 year @ $3,000,000 which will leave him as a RFA when it's done. Or the same contract Gio and Regehr got. 5 years @ $4,020,000 with a NMC starting in his 27 year old season.

I'd be cool with this. Brodie has not earned a contract to pay him over 5 million a season, yet.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'd be cool with this. Brodie has not earned a contract to pay him over 5 million a season, yet.
and $21 million over 5 years is nothing to sneeze at either. I think Brodie jumps at that contract IMO, getting the same deal as your best player and captain.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I could see something like a 5 year deal where his salary gets progressively higher throughout:

Year 1: 4 mil
Year 2: 5 mil
Year 3: 5.5 mil
Year 4: 5.5 mil
Year 5: 6 mil

That would take him to 29, and he can cash in again then

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Buying UFA years is expensive and Brodie's advanced stats are remarkable for his age.

An 8 year deal at ~6M per would be ideal in my mind but I may be higher on Brodie's potential than others.

Realistically, I can see the Flames offering one year at 3-3.5M, four years at ~4M and five years ~4.5M. Giordano's up for a new deal too after the upcoming season so there's no concern over Brodie having a higher cap hit than the captain.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
I have just never personally been a fan of giving anyone more than 5 years. Even top tier talent. A lot can happen in 5 years. What if it's concussion central, and they end up a shell of what they used to be? What if they just become Gaborik and get injured every year? What if they are like Mike Richards, who was a top line center when he signed his deal, and while still a great player, is starting to noticably decline before 30?

I hate long term contracts. Hate them.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Buying UFA years is expensive and Brodie's advanced stats are remarkable for his age.

An 8 year deal at ~6M per would be ideal in my mind but I may be higher on Brodie's potential than others.

Realistically, I can see the Flames offering one year at 3-3.5M, four years at ~4M and five years ~4.5M. Giordano's up for a new deal too after the upcoming season so there's no concern over Brodie having a higher cap hit than the captain.

I'm all for an 8 year contract. I don't think he'd command 6 mil AAV, though. He hasn't put up the points for it. Anywhere between 4 x 8 and 5 x 8 would be fantastic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad