Seravalli: Brock Boeser on the Move? | Major Update —02/17/2022

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
maybe the plan is to shop the entire team around the league to prepare the fanbase for shopping pettersson.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
All dependent on whether he wants to be there. These high QOs take the leverage out of the GM's hands.

And also offer a guarantee of sorts, compared to an early ufa situation. A year or two at a higher term isn't always a bad thing either, looking at some of the albatross contracts signed in recent years. But that's just my view on it, I don't really see the QO as a positive or a negative.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
People are commenting on the QO like it is a foregone conclusion Boeser will make $7.5 - reality is Boeser hasn't played like a $7.5 player this season (or in 2 of the last 3 seasons). He knows this, his agent knows this, and with uncertainty out with league economics, there is inherent risk in taking a 1 year QO offer and then going to free agency. Do you think Hall was expecting a $6 contract 2 years removes from his MVP season? Probably not. Whether Boeser is traded or not, I fully expect either the Canucks, or the new team to look at a longer term deal at a lesser cap number. Boeser at $6 x 4 or $6.5 x 6 is probably closer to where he actually signs.

People looking at Boesers point totals aren't really getting a clear picture either. He has missed games in every season with exception of last year so his production from a ppg perspective is really good. His goals per game even better. When healthy Boeser is a top 6 winger no question. I appreciate his injury history will make people weary so that's a fair point, but he will be valued if he is being shopped and the QO is a factor, but not one that is going to completely change his value. He isn't the first player with a high QO and he won't be the last, teams understand that and will gauge interest in re-signing before making the deal.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
People are commenting on the QO like it is a foregone conclusion Boeser will make $7.5 - reality is Boeser hasn't played like a $7.5 player this season (or in 2 of the last 3 seasons). He knows this, his agent knows this, and with uncertainty out with league economics, there is inherent risk in taking a 1 year QO offer and then going to free agency. Do you think Hall was expecting a $6 contract 2 years removes from his MVP season? Probably not. Whether Boeser is traded or not, I fully expect either the Canucks, or the new team to look at a longer term deal at a lesser cap number. Boeser at $6 x 4 or $6.5 x 6 is probably closer to where he actually signs.

People looking at Boesers point totals aren't really getting a clear picture either. He has missed games in every season with exception of last year so his production from a ppg perspective is really good. His goals per game even better. When healthy Boeser is a top 6 winger no question. I appreciate his injury history will make people weary so that's a fair point, but he will be valued if he is being shopped and the QO is a factor, but not one that is going to completely change his value. He isn't the first player with a high QO and he won't be the last, teams understand that and will gauge interest in re-signing before making the deal.

I think your points underly my issues with him, he has a history of injuries and at 25 has never been able to show improvement anywhere since his rookie season despite getting top minutes on the PP and first line. He will likely sign for a bit less as many mentioned but it will be about 6.5 which is to rich for Canucks who are in cap hell and lack speed in general.

Some team who has cap room may take a gamble. Given toffolis contract though it's hard to argue boeser is worth even 6 for what he brings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fisticuffer

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I think your points underly my issues with him, he has a history of injuries and at 25 has never been able to show improvement anywhere since his rookie season despite getting top minutes on the PP and first line. He will likely sign for a bit less as many mentioned but it will be about 6.5 which is to rich for Canucks who are in cap hell and lack speed in general.

Some team who has cap room may take a gamble. Given toffolis contract though it's hard to argue boeser is worth even 6 for what he brings.
I would argue Boeser's defensive game has improved significantly since his rookie season so he is a better all around player. He has been healthier over the past 2 seasons only missing 3-4 games in those 2 years. I get you aren't a fan, but Boeser is a top 6 winger on any team in the league and 25 year old top 6 wingers typically make $6+.

Reactions: FOurteenS inCisOr

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Trade deadline is a long ways away. The question really is, do you think you're a SC contender, and if so, how interested are you in winning the next 2 years? Because at 50% JT may be the best value asset in the league for those 2 years.
I just hope the Rangers management isn't deluded enough to think they are Cup contenders right now.

Reactions: Fisticuffer

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I would argue Boeser's defensive game has improved significantly since his rookie season so he is a better all around player. He has been healthier over the past 2 seasons only missing 3-4 games in those 2 years. I get you aren't a fan, but Boeser is a top 6 winger on any team in the league and 25 year old top 6 wingers typically make $6+.

He is pretty lazy defensive player, but I will say he is ok at best. However nobody is paying for boeser's average defensive game and again I would argue toffolis defensive game is better who makes a little over 4 million. And he is no doubt a comparable to boeser.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018
Boeser is 24 turning 25. He is a sniper who has worked on his all around game and is not a defensive liability. Former MVP Allstar and won the accuracy shooting in the skills competition. Put him with good players and he will produce 30 goals with 40 upside. For some reason the 649 line has lost all previous chemistry as one of the most dangerous lines in the league, a change would be welcome to fix the Defence or picks and prospects.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
What does this even mean? Vancouver overpricing too much, or waffling on trading Miller?

They go hand in hand. An asking price no team will meet sends a signal that they're really not serious about moving him.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the debate on HF mirrored the discussions between the respective GMs.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I'm interested in these players: And yes I realize they're all different in value.
Holtz/Mercer/Zacha/Severson/Mcleod/T.Smith

From a Devils perspective, I would easily put Zacha + Smith on the table for Boeser. Play around with pieces from there if need be. Value is pretty close, but it would be understandable if that’s not enticing for Vancouver.

I can’t see Devils dealing Holtz or Mercer. I don’t see why Vancouver would want McLeod unless they seriously overrate his game. I can’t see Vancouver taking the risk on Severson being a UFA at next years end and the Devils can’t really afford to trade him without a replacement either.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Brock Boeser for Schnieder, 2023 1st and a cap dump

Reactions: BCNate

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad