Seravalli: Broberg/agent requesting a trade (mod: title updated, Oilers didn’t give permission to Broberg to seek a trade)

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Where are you getting this from. I always heard he was their best defence man in practices. Maybe I am wrong could have been another Oiler fan posting this, not sure where I seen it now.
If they liked him in practice then why is he not playing? Not like Kulak has been good or great this year.

It's incredibly rare for defensemen to play their off-hand. And it's an exceptionally poor method of onboarding your team's high pedigree prospect deploying them in a situation that doesn't put them in a position to succeed.

The only stretch of hockey he's played in the NHL where he's seen consistent minutes with a consistent partner was last season pre-Broberg trade. And the results were solid.

Fact of the matter is that Broberg was likely the team's Kulak replacement in hand. There's no way a $2.75m defenseman was a smart investment on a team looking to improve its RD option in the top four.
Then why, even with Kulaks struggle has this secretly good player not gotten minutes?
2 different coaches have tried 11-7 to give him time and even then he barely gets minutes.

At the end of the day he is a struggling player who doesn’t show much in his playing time. It is what it is.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Broberg tends to fall a lot when he's defending the rush. He is overthinking. He needs to work on his spatial awareness and ability to intercept pucks. Kulak is in because of his low panic threshold.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Then why, even with Kulaks struggle has this secretly good player not gotten minutes?
2 different coaches have tried 11-7 to give him time and even then he barely gets minutes.

At the end of the day he is a struggling player who doesn’t show much in his playing time. It is what it is.
Because the majority of NHL coaches aren't going to press box a $3m NHL veteran. It's on the GM to remove that option and decision from the hands of the coach.

Organizationally the Oilers have done a poor job integrating their high end prospects. And with Broberg it starts and ends with his lack of opportunity.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
WHy do you exaggerate so much? Lit up the AHL? 29pts in 42 games is lighting up the AHL? LOL

No one is debating whether he is a productive AHL dman. He's a good AHL dman. He's just not a good NHL dman. He's a poor man's Nathan Bealieau and dumb as rocks.

I don't think the Oilers get anything more than a 3rd round pick or equivalent.

I really want to know what you think is "average/above average" if putting up nearly a .75PPG pace as a dman in the AHL isn't lighting it up?

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I like that Nurse and Ekholm supported Broberg in the media. Both were very complimentary. Nurse said Broberg is great to be around and works hard. He is a great teammate.

Ekholm said he went through something similar when he was new to the league. I get the impression he hasn't agreed with how the Oilers have deployed Broberg. He stated Broberg "has all the tools you could ask a young D-man could have". Interesting.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I like that Nurse and Ekholm supported Broberg in the media. Both were very complimentary. Nurse said Broberg is great to be around and works hard. He is a great teammate.

Ekholm said he went through something similar when he was new to the league. I get the impression he hasn't agreed with how the Oilers have deployed Broberg. He stated Broberg "has all the tools you could ask a young D-man could have". Interesting.
What do you expect teammates to say?

Nurse: "Yeah he hasn't panned out and quite frankly is a huge disappointment. We can't rely on him to defend in transition and he makes really dumb decisions. Dumber than mine. But i wish him the best in Bakersfield and hope to see him on another team...".

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
2014-present, their drafting history in the first round is awful, aside from Draisaitl.

Didn't include McDavid in that because a chimpanzee would've been able to make that pick.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I think Broberg has tools and some skill but I find him to be clumsy all over the ice. He seems to fall a lot. The last Oilers defenseman that was as clumsy as Broberg was Matt Benning.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If this Oilers team was as bad as the Oilers team Klefbom saw in his 4th year, Broberg would see regular ice time too.
Maybe, but based on how I watched them both play, Broberg wouldn’t have gotten the minutes Klefbom did.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Because the majority of NHL coaches aren't going to press box a $3m NHL veteran. It's on the GM to remove that option and decision from the hands of the coach.

Organizationally the Oilers have done a poor job integrating their high end prospects. And with Broberg it starts and ends with his lack of opportunity.
Bouchard, McLeod, Skinner, Desharnais, Hamblin, and Holloway all earned a spot on the team.

Just because a player is drafted high does not make them a high end prospect. Look through every single draft and players just don't pan out for one reason or another.. Still time for Broberg but the clock is ticking

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Bouchard, McLeod, Skinner, Desharnais, Hamblin, and Holloway all earned a spot on the team.

Just because a player is drafted high does not make them a high end prospect. Look through every single draft and players just don't pan out for one reason or another.. Still time for Broberg but the clock is ticking
That list shows that Development isn't linear. So many different time lines to success in that list. Broberg was always going to be a long play.

Reactions: Homesick

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Swap him with Victor Soderstrom. Maybe one of the Swedes will finally amount to something serviceable.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
That list shows that Development isn't linear. So many different time lines to success in that list. Broberg was always going to be a long play.
It's also an example of how prospects can thrive when you don't bury them behind expensive veteran depth.

Which of these guys would have to displace a $2.75m roster player to find regular icetime?

Reactions: bernmeister

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It's also an example of how prospects can thrive when you don't bury them behind expensive veteran depth.

Which of these guys would have to displace a $2.75m roster player to find regular icetime?

Yeh that too. Can’t argue with that. Good point.

Reactions: Czechboy

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

This is why, exceptions to the rule yes, but bern says rule is generally push vets out for decent value and go w/younger, cheaper [less drag on the cap] youth.

Reactions: Seanaconda

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Oilers fans with just an amazing sell job on Broberg. Can’t skate, won’t ever be Klefbom, clumsy like Urkel, stupid, ugly face, bad hair.

Anyways can you we have your 1st rd pick now?

Who asked for a 1st round pick? Oilers fans are not delusional on what Broberg has shown or what a lot of us feel he could become. I haven't seen a single poster ask for a 1st round pick. General consensus is to try and use Broberg in a larger trade to help us win now. A 1st round pick does nothing, but good job straight up lying and showing your legit hate for the Oilers.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Who asked for a 1st round pick? Oilers fans are not delusional on what Broberg has shown or what a lot of us feel he could become. I haven't seen a single poster ask for a 1st round pick. General consensus is to try and use Broberg in a larger trade to help us win now. A 1st round pick does nothing, but good job straight up lying and showing your legit hate for the Oilers.

Just a punch line to a joke dude.

I don’t think the return should be a 1st nor has been requested. The ideal Broberg trade would be a former 1st round pick also stalled or blocked in his development. And yes a guy that could potentially step in and help the win now mode. I like Wahlstrom as a candidate. And Islanders fans look to be close to done with him and ready to move on.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I still wouldn't trade him... Your best bet is a return like Jakub Zboril. It's not going to end well. Keep him... Develop him more... Give him legit nice time if he makes it back to the NHL.

Reactions: Petes2424

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I still wouldn't trade him... Your best bet is a return like Jakub Zboril. It's not going to end well. Keep him... Develop him more... Give him legit nice time if he makes it back to the NHL.
At this’d point, that’s about as much as he’s worth… and I like him to still become, a good solid NHL player. He’s gotta get out of Edmonton though. He’s wasting another year at this point. A year he could be playing with a set goal in mind somewhere else. Even if it’s in the AHL for another club.

Young Dmen need confidence and he’s not going to get it in Edmonton nor Bakersfield right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad