Seravalli: Broberg/agent requesting a trade (mod: title updated, Oilers didn’t give permission to Broberg to seek a trade)

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I liked his play on the Condors. I truly think his skillset is underutilized on the Oilers and he would blossom elsewhere.

He's a good/great PP QB in the AHL. I'd argue sometimes better than the static Bouchard who relies on his shot and elite passing. Broberg distributed the puck better.

He will NEVER play on the PP on the Oilers because of Bouchard and Nurse above him.

To me, he is a better skating Klefbom 2.0 but less physical.
He isn’t even close to the player Klefbom was.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
WHy do you exaggerate so much? Lit up the AHL? 29pts in 42 games is lighting up the AHL? LOL

No one is debating whether he is a productive AHL dman. He's a good AHL dman. He's just not a good NHL dman. He's a poor man's Nathan Bealieau and dumb as rocks.

I don't think the Oilers get anything more than a 3rd round pick or equivalent.
For a defenceman without much offense in his game, 29 points in 42 games is ridiculous.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
He isn’t even close to the player Klefbom was.
Klefbom was nothing special at all at 22. I remember loosely following the Barons (a year before and after the lockout) where Klefbom was on the team. I remember liking Pitlick and Davidson a lot. Klefbom blossomed a few years later.

Reactions: bernmeister

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
In my opinion broberg is a decent player who plays better with more minutes when he is playing 10 minutes a night he’s a liability. Sounds weird but he plays better the more minutes he gets but given the way edmonton started the season they can’t chance giving an unreliable player minutes at this point of the season

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Klefbom was nothing special at all at 22. I remember loosely following the Barons (a year before and after the lockout) where Klefbom was on the team. I remember liking Pitlick and Davidson a lot. Klefbom blossomed a few years later.
This is Brobergs draft +4 year. At the same point Klefbom became a regular and managed 20 points in 60 games on an offensively inept squad.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Broberg will have an NHL career smooth skating dman always does, and the Oilers are in no need to trade him. He will get the minutes when a dman suffers an injury. anyone thinking he is going to be traded for peanuts think again it won't happen

PavelDatsyuk

Aug 31, 2008
Edmonton
Broberg will have an NHL career smooth skating dman always does, and the Oilers are in no need to trade him. He will get the minutes when a dman suffers an injury. anyone thinking he is going to be traded for peanuts think again it won't happen
Broberg cannot skate, yet everyone somehow thinks he is this silky smooth skater. He cannot complete crossovers skating backwards - it is his biggest flaw.

He tries to compensate for this with his positioning or angling and then pivoting to skating forwards when defending the rush.

When he doesnt get it right, which is fairly frequently, he simply trips all over himself and falls into the boards. It is comical to watch.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Broberg cannot skate, yet everyone somehow thinks he is this silky smooth skater. He cannot complete crossovers skating backwards - it is his biggest flaw.

He tries to compensate for this with his positioning or angling and then pivoting to skating forwards when defending the rush.

When he doesnt get it right, which is fairly frequently, he simply trips all over himself and falls into the boards. It is comical to watch.
You're basing this on a couple of times in his 79-game career he lost an edge doing a crossover lol ok man. I have seen this happen to every Dman in their career :help:

Reactions: Homesick

PavelDatsyuk

Aug 31, 2008
Edmonton
You're basing this on a couple of times in his 79-game career he lost an edge doing a crossover lol ok man. I have seen this happen to every Dman in their career :help:
When you get 5-6 minutes a night and it happens every 5-10 games, that is embarrassingly frequent for somebody who is in the NHL.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
When you get 5-6 minutes a night and it happens every 5-10 games, that is embarrassingly frequent for somebody who is in the NHL.
It happened twice this season and one other time I can remember he still has upside still his stat line so far in his career is pretty good for a defenseman who has averaged 12 min a night , stop exaggerating

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Perfect example of people making a permanent evaluation on a Dman still on his ELC, who’s shown he has the physical tools, but hasn’t put them together consistently yet.

It’s not saying he ever puts it all together, but we’ve seen this 100 times on this site. So while it’s fair to say he hasn’t lived up to expectations thus far, comparing him to veteran players who’ve proven time and again, they can’t stick in the NHL consistently, is ridiculous.

Reactions: Blueston

PavelDatsyuk

Aug 31, 2008
Edmonton
Perfect example of people making a permanent evaluation on a Dman still on his ELC, who’s shown he has the physical tools, but hasn’t put them together consistently yet.

It’s not saying he ever puts it all together, but we’ve seen this 100 times on this site. So while it’s fair to say he hasn’t lived up to expectations thus far, comparing him to veteran players who’ve proven time and again, they can’t stick in the NHL consistently, is ridiculous.
This player will be out of the league as soon as he goes to a team that has not invested a first round pick into him. He has no quality tools. His only redeeming attribute is a nice 6'3 / 6'4 frame.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
This is Brobergs draft +4 year. At the same point Klefbom became a regular and managed 20 points in 60 games on an offensively inept squad.
And to me anyways you expect at least SOME offense when you take a d-man #8 overall, but his NHL totals over the years are underwhelming....GP 79-2-9-11 :confused:

Reactions: CycloneSweep

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
And to me anyways you expect at least SOME offense when you take a d-man #8 overall, but his NHL totals over the years are underwhelming....GP 79-2-9-11 :confused:
20 points in 60 games...getting 22 min/gm

Broberg is getting 11 minutes. So really that offense isn't too far off in points per minute.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If Oscar Klefbom was Broberg's age now, he'd have the same limitations breaking in as an unproven defenseman. Klefbom broke in on a team with zero depth on defense.
Klefbom looked like he belonged. Broberg doesn't, second coach in a row who rather use Desharnais over him, which, isn't a good sign for him.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Klefbom looked like he belonged. Broberg doesn't, second coach in a row who rather use Desharnais over him, which, isn't a good sign for him.
Hard to look like you belong anywhere when you only have a dozen or so shifts to make your mark on a checking line.

There were plays this season that showcased the kind of puck rushing ability he's likely to be known for once he gains his footing in this league.

Him playing behind Desharnais means nothing. They play on opposite sides of the ice.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Hard to look like you belong anywhere when you only have a dozen or so shifts to make your mark on a checking line.

There were plays this season that showcased the kind of puck rushing ability he's likely to be known for once he gains his footing in this league.

Him playing behind Desharnais means nothing. They play on opposite sides of the ice.
Broberg openly plays his right side.
This is a player that gets outplayed by half our AHL team every camp and the coaching staff doesn't even like what they see in practice.
But I guess we need to gift a nothing player ice time to see if he doesn't suck? thats baffling to me.
And BS on that top part. Tons of players in the league have worked their but off in limited time to show they deserve more icetime. Happens all the time.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
This is a player that gets outplayed by half our AHL team every camp and the coaching staff doesn't even like what they see in practice.
But I guess we need to gift a nothing player ice time to see if he doesn't suck? thats baffling to me.
And BS on that top part. Tons of players in the league have worked their but off in limited time to show they deserve more icetime. Happens all the time.
Where are you getting this from. I always heard he was their best defence man in practices. Maybe I am wrong could of been another Oiler fan posting this, not sure where I seen it now.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It's incredibly rare for defensemen to play their off-hand. And it's an exceptionally poor method of onboarding your team's high pedigree prospect deploying them in a situation that doesn't put them in a position to succeed.

The only stretch of hockey he's played in the NHL where he's seen consistent minutes with a consistent partner was last season pre-Ekholm trade. And the results were solid.

Fact of the matter is that Broberg was likely the team's Kulak replacement in hand. There's no way a $2.75m defenseman was a smart investment on a team looking to improve its RD option in the top four.

Last edited:
Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad